Rugby League Future?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,242 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

As a Keighley fan. Your idea is ######. Keighley wouldnt exist if they merged.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 29 March 2013 - 11:30 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Its good to see you have so much to say on the subject Chris ;)

#23 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Its good to see you have so much to say on the subject Chris ;)

He's cheating! Over 37,000 posts yet a fair proportion of them are merely full stops!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#24 MustardBoy

MustardBoy
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

I'm from a non-RL area and I've only just started watching Rugby (Widnes). This all came about due to the 'Extraordinary Rugby League' campaign catching my attention last year, and although my knowledge of the game and assessment is poor, I'm absolutely loving attending games.

I see a lot of negativity and doom and gloom on this message board, as though everything's about co collapse, but isn't every sport suffering at the moment? Exposure is definitely what RL needs! With good advertising like the campaign I mentioned, and what's happening at Salford, it can only add to more intrigue and interest.

There are many disenfranchised soccer fans and potential rugby fans within a few miles of some great clubs in the North of England, these need to be tapped into and existing clubs made stronger. This crusade to promote the game throughout Europe shouldn't come at the expense of existing clubs, and if for now the sport is Heartlands based, is this such a bad thing?

I certainly think the sport will continue to grow, with Dr Koukash being at the forefront keeping everyone on their toes.

#25 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

This crusade to promote the game throughout Europe shouldn't come at the expense of existing clubs, and if for now the sport is Heartlands based, is this such a bad thing?

I've not heard about a crusade to promote the game throughout Europe. Any details? And is it really costing that much that it's coming at the expense of existing clubs?

The sport is still largely heartlands based and, yes, that is a bad thing. It holds the game back, prevents it from taking its rightful place as one of the nation's leading sporting attractions, and promotes mediocrity. Largely restricted to a few areas of northern England, the game has to suffer clubs and players challenging for elite status that, had the game expanded to all parts of Britain like any normal sport, would be beyond them. If you doubt that just think of an England national squad selected from a population of 50 million rather than a heartland population of approximately 5 million.

Rugby league desperately needs to expand, has always needed to expand, but has always retreated back into its comfort zone when things got tough.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#26 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'm from a non-RL area and I've only just started watching Rugby (Widnes). This all came about due to the 'Extraordinary Rugby League' campaign catching my attention last year, and although my knowledge of the game and assessment is poor, I'm absolutely loving attending games.

I see a lot of negativity and doom and gloom on this message board, as though everything's about co collapse, but isn't every sport suffering at the moment? Exposure is definitely what RL needs! With good advertising like the campaign I mentioned, and what's happening at Salford, it can only add to more intrigue and interest.

There are many disenfranchised soccer fans and potential rugby fans within a few miles of some great clubs in the North of England, these need to be tapped into and existing clubs made stronger. This crusade to promote the game throughout Europe shouldn't come at the expense of existing clubs, and if for now the sport is Heartlands based, is this such a bad thing?

I certainly think the sport will continue to grow, with Dr Koukash being at the forefront keeping everyone on their toes.

Top first post, welcome on board. And welcome to the game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#27 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Good stuff. Not too late to switch away from Widnes...

Welcome to rugby league. It's not supposed to be fun.

The only person Dr Koukash is keeping on his toes at the moment is his bank manager.

That's me.  I'm done.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,572 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Firstly, welcome aboard!

Secondly, a little more experience of this and other RL forums will reveal to you the almost pathological desire of certain Rugby League fans to accentuate the negative in even the best bit of news. Yes, Rugby League is in a more precarious position than the other Football codes in the UK, financially speaking, but there are also many positives. And this season's been (mostly) excellent so far! :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users