RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Diminishing Junior Teams

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Ted you are hardly JR Hartley so perhaps another hobby might be more suitable..................how's the weather in Wigan today?

Who does "JR Hartley" play for?

#22 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Because a coach can move up a player who is equal to his peers but to bring a elite 16 year old into a 15 year olds competition could get a lesser mature 15 year old hurt or even put them and others off of the game for life, that would create less teams.

If you've got a lad at an age where he can't get a game at his own age, travel, we have lads who have travelled to Castleford, Featherstone and to the nearest Doncaster club which is 12 miles away, I've seen lads at Stanley Rangers who have travelled from Goole.

Hi Marauder, Not all lads who love to play in many sports can afford to travel. Are you suggesting that when Scott Moore made his debut in the Super League at 16 years old he be disbarred from playing down again. Oliver Roberts is presently the youngest Super League player also at 17 years old, "Good enough is old enough". Sporting behavior should prevail and credit should be given to all young sportsmen.

#23 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi Marauder, Not all lads who love to play in many sports can afford to travel. Are you suggesting that when Scott Moore made his debut in the Super League at 16 years old he be disbarred from playing down again. Oliver Roberts is presently the youngest Super League player also at 17 years old, "Good enough is old enough". Sporting behavior should prevail and credit should be given to all young sportsmen.

No what I'm saying again is the younger less developed player will get hurt and there is no way bringing a player even of a lesser ability down a year can be police and for every Scott Moore you may lose I'd bet my house (I don't gamble) you would lose more little Johnnies from the game if it was allowed.

I think the point you have made with lads at 16/17 playing at super league level strengthens my case.

Edited by Marauder, 31 March 2013 - 06:25 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#24 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

And I've see many many lads who have played pro first team at 17/18 years of age and been out of the game well before they should have been due to career ending injuries or constant recurring injuries caused more than likely due to the physicality of the game and their exuberance as young men never knowing when to ease off and desperately wanting to impress. ...............two words.............player welfare!

#25 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Who does "JR Hartley" play for?

Wigan Anglers ARLFC

#26 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Your fippancy and levity does not do justice to your previous inputs regarding Barla and their player registration increase/decrease!! 60 years of RFL support and I am still not surprised!!

#27 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

And I've see many many lads who have played pro first team at 17/18 years of age and been out of the game well before they should have been due to career ending injuries or constant recurring injuries caused more than likely due to the physicality of the game and their exuberance as young men never knowing when to ease off and desperately wanting to impress. ...............two words.............player welfare!

Hi again Marauder, Have to agree with you, professional sport takes its toll, nature of the game especially in the contact sports, one hopes that retiring under the age of 30 years with maybe a boatload of money is worth it. More than I retired with when I was 65 years old, I played and enjoyed many amateur sports and still carry the injuries, but the memories are worth the minor discomforts. Cheers T.

#28 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Your fippancy and levity does not do justice to your previous inputs regarding Barla and their player registration increase/decrease!! 60 years of RFL support and I am still not surprised!!

Thanks Ted, given your age your grasp of technology is commendable, as is your angling technique ;)

#29 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Thanks Ted, given your age your grasp of technology is commendable, as is your angling technique ;)

Was that a Mea culpa or a fly in the ointment oops! Cheers.

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hi again Marauder, Have to agree with you, professional sport takes its toll, nature of the game especially in the contact sports, one hopes that retiring under the age of 30 years with maybe a boatload of money is worth it. More than I retired with when I was 65 years old, I played and enjoyed many amateur sports and still carry the injuries, but the memories are worth the minor discomforts. Cheers T.

Yep I'll agree with it being worth the minor discomforts, I finished playing at 44 in the Yorkshire Premier and for my pains had two operations last year on old injuries :)

#31 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Was that a Mea culpa or a fly in the ointment oops! Cheers.

LMAO...........don't flatter yourself, its neither :)

#32 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yep I'll agree with it being worth the minor discomforts, I finished playing at 44 in the Yorkshire Premier and for my pains had two operations last year on old injuries :)

Hello M, I never reached that standard, played to enjoy, not a lot of prefered RFL in my youth a mostly RFU and because of knee problems and not being able to turn through more than 180 degrees took up squash (a forward playing game) at 35 and still playing 35 years later, good enough to still beat my RFL Academy playing grandson but not for much longer, he is super fit and improving his squash. Cheers T.

#33 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

LMAO...........don't flatter yourself, its neither :)

With no ass I guess your filling up and about to burst. !!!

#34 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hello M, I never reached that standard, played to enjoy, not a lot of prefered RFL in my youth a mostly RFU and because of knee problems and not being able to turn through more than 180 degrees took up squash (a forward playing game) at 35 and still playing 35 years later, good enough to still beat my RFL Academy playing grandson but not for much longer, he is super fit and improving his squash. Cheers T.

I think at your age the little monkey should cut you some slack ;) hardly fair making his grandad run around that squash court!!

Edited by LordCharles, 31 March 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#35 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I think at your age the little monkey should cut you some slack ;) hardly fair making his grandad run around that squash court!!

I still enjoy playing the game, coached junior County players for many years, can still from a static position feed any ball to a striking player to improve their stroke play, only lost my stamina, not my technique. Good night.

#36 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

You should be relaxing on one of those caravan holidays and resting your knees :)

Goodnight my padawan.

Edited by LordCharles, 31 March 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#37 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

I've played squash as well, played for the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Artillery in 1971, retired from competition after being beaten by a woman at Birmingham Uni, last Time I played was in 1977, at that time we had the army champion in my regiment who was a little fat guy, once he got the centre of the court you couldn't move him, great sport.

Edited by Marauder, 31 March 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#38 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

If you think that you have problems with youth in Yorkshire you should try being in West Cumbria. I was told the other day that we only have 4 teams at U12 and 4 at U16, not sure how many at U14, so that will have major repocussions in the next few years with less players moving into the open age ranks.
On top of that, rumours are rife that we have major problems at the West Lakes Academy, with them wanting to pull 30 players out of the amateur ranks at 16 years old to make a team up, but they are signing them as professional players, so some of them have been told that they can't play for BARLA or GB Community Lions.
Which begs the question, if we only have 4 under 16 teams, how can you get 30 professionals from so few teams?

I don't know the full facts on his, but I'm sure someone out there does, and will be able to spill a bit more light on it

#39 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

If you think that you have problems with youth in Yorkshire you should try being in West Cumbria. I was told the other day that we only have 4 teams at U12 and 4 at U16, not sure how many at U14, so that will have major repocussions in the next few years with less players moving into the open age ranks.
On top of that, rumours are rife that we have major problems at the West Lakes Academy, with them wanting to pull 30 players out of the amateur ranks at 16 years old to make a team up, but they are signing them as professional players, so some of them have been told that they can't play for BARLA or GB Community Lions.
Which begs the question, if we only have 4 under 16 teams, how can you get 30 professionals from so few teams?

I don't know the full facts on his, but I'm sure someone out there does, and will be able to spill a bit more light on it

Or more to the point how can amateur clubs thrive when there are so few players coming through there system, at the minute the three conference clubs and Seaton have good youth numbers everywhere else do not, I have seen the figures for kids that are playing the game on a school year basis and the issue is being addressed through the recently formed West cumbria youth steering group which is having its second meeting this Wednesday to progress things forward on the changes that need to be made, however clubs have to have a big input into that

As an example DTTRR we have less than 100 players from age 6-16 playing in Maryport across three clubs, thats a decade of players so assuming that there will be a natural drop out of players will that be enough to sustain three clubs moving forward and what can Maryport, Glasson and Ellbra do that will be for the mutual good of the game to change that? Ive long said if there isnt an end to on upsmanship in West Cumbria the game is doomed and I stand by that

As for the elite academy they are looking at 12 contracted pros every year and at 15 and 16 the scholarship figures will be 24 players taken on that albeit there is no contract etc at that age so there future is unaffected BUT if participation was what it should be in the West of the county the Elite would take care of itself at the minute there isnt the player numbers to support the academy and its putting the amateur clubs short term future in difficulties

Bottom line though clubs need to work together and get in schools and be proactive if we are going to increase the numbers of players and maybe some rules need to be amended to reflect the challenges that the game faces which is in a far unhealthier state than it was when they were drawn up

Edited by gillmeister, 01 April 2013 - 11:37 AM.

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#40 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Or more to the point how can amateur clubs thrive when there are so few players coming through there system, at the minute the three conference clubs and Seaton have good youth numbers everywhere else do not, I have seen the figures for kids that are playing the game on a school year basis and the issue is being addressed through the recently formed West cumbria youth steering group which is having its second meeting this Wednesday to progress things forward on the changes that need to be made, however clubs have to have a big input into that

As an example DTTRR we have less than 100 players from age 6-16 playing in Maryport across three clubs, thats a decade of players so assuming that there will be a natural drop out of players will that be enough to sustain three clubs moving forward and what can Maryport, Glasson and Ellbra do that will be for the mutual good of the game to change that? Ive long said if there isnt an end to on upsmanship in West Cumbria the game is doomed and I stand by that

As for the elite academy they are looking at 12 contracted pros every year and at 15 and 16 the scholarship figures will be 24 players taken on that albeit there is no contract etc at that age so there future is unaffected BUT if participation was what it should be in the West of the county the Elite would take care of itself at the minute there isnt the player numbers to support the academy and its putting the amateur clubs short term future in difficulties

Bottom line though clubs need to work together and get in schools and be proactive if we are going to increase the numbers of players and maybe some rules need to be amended to reflect the challenges that the game faces which is in a far unhealthier state than it was when they were drawn up

Your falling for the 3 card trick thinking this academy will be a good thing, we've lost two sides over the last 5 years because the service area (thats what they where called) directed all the elite players to the amateur club of the local pro clubs choice, we simply don't produce enough kids who want to play the game for this system to work and you can't rely on numbers produced from a school report, talk to people like Taxiegg.

Doncaster RLFC have lost their development officers (one is our headcoach) he has taken it on himself to do development work in the schools and I've been told he has secured some funding from the Doncaster council, our aim is to get a mini competition started based on how the RLC was run with the local primary schools and possibly a few from the surrounding villages.

Edited by Marauder, 01 April 2013 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users