Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Diminishing Junior Teams

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Your falling for the 3 card trick thinking this academy will be a good thing, we've lost two sides over the last 5 years because the service area (thats what they where called) directed all the elite players to the amateur club of the local pro clubs choice, we simply don't produce enough kids who want to play the game for this system to work and you can't rely on numbers produced from a school report, talk to people like Taxiegg.

Doncaster RLFC have lost their development officers (one is our headcoach) he has taken it on himself to do development work in the schools and I've been told he has secured some funding from the Doncaster council, our aim is to get a mini competition started based on how the RLC was run with the local primary schools and possibly a few from the surrounding villages.

Or more to the point how can amateur clubs thrive when there are so few players coming through there system, at the minute the three conference clubs and Seaton have good youth numbers everywhere else do not, I have seen the figures for kids that are playing the game on a school year basis and the issue is being addressed through the recently formed West cumbria youth steering group which is having its second meeting this Wednesday to progress things forward on the changes that need to be made, however clubs have to have a big input into that

As an example DTTRR we have less than 100 players from age 6-16 playing in Maryport across three clubs, thats a decade of players so assuming that there will be a natural drop out of players will that be enough to sustain three clubs moving forward and what can Maryport, Glasson and Ellbra do that will be for the mutual good of the game to change that? Ive long said if there isnt an end to on upsmanship in West Cumbria the game is doomed and I stand by that

As for the elite academy they are looking at 12 contracted pros every year and at 15 and 16 the scholarship figures will be 24 players taken on that albeit there is no contract etc at that age so there future is unaffected BUT if participation was what it should be in the West of the county the Elite would take care of itself at the minute there isnt the player numbers to support the academy and its putting the amateur clubs short term future in difficulties

Bottom line though clubs need to work together and get in schools and be proactive if we are going to increase the numbers of players and maybe some rules need to be amended to reflect the challenges that the game faces which is in a far unhealthier state than it was when they were drawn up

Im not sure what part of my original post led you to believe that Im thinking the academy is a good thing Marauder I have highlighted my view above and the figures that I am referring to in West Cumbria are figures that the clubs have submitted they are more than a school report as you say, due to the small population we play two year age groups and as a result we have different issues that affect participation numbers to the ones in Lancashire and Yorkshire that guys like Taxi Egg know inside and out
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#42 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Or more to the point how can amateur clubs thrive when there are so few players coming through there system, at the minute the three conference clubs and Seaton have good youth numbers everywhere else do not, I have seen the figures for kids that are playing the game on a school year basis and the issue is being addressed through the recently formed West cumbria youth steering group which is having its second meeting this Wednesday to progress things forward on the changes that need to be made, however clubs have to have a big input into that

As an example DTTRR we have less than 100 players from age 6-16 playing in Maryport across three clubs, thats a decade of players so assuming that there will be a natural drop out of players will that be enough to sustain three clubs moving forward and what can Maryport, Glasson and Ellbra do that will be for the mutual good of the game to change that? Ive long said if there isnt an end to on upsmanship in West Cumbria the game is doomed and I stand by that

As for the elite academy they are looking at 12 contracted pros every year and at 15 and 16 the scholarship figures will be 24 players taken on that albeit there is no contract etc at that age so there future is unaffected BUT if participation was what it should be in the West of the county the Elite would take care of itself at the minute there isnt the player numbers to support the academy and its putting the amateur clubs short term future in difficulties

Bottom line though clubs need to work together and get in schools and be proactive if we are going to increase the numbers of players and maybe some rules need to be amended to reflect the challenges that the game faces which is in a far unhealthier state than it was when they were drawn up

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

WOW !!! The numbers are going down all around, certainly we seem to expect to lose our 17 year olds to the "open age" leagues. Prior to that although height and physique is relevent we need to have competition at as many ages as possible, even handicaping older players playing down to maybe two or three on the field of play at any time during a match so that they cannot control the game. How we stop the poaching by any clubs making promises I don't know. What is certain is that they need the need crops of new kids coming through and if they will subsidise our youth we need to keep talking. to them. We need to make more noises. Ted C.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

#43 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hello RFL Fans,

The RFL is disputing an under 16's player who is presently registered and playing open age at his home Club which does not have an under 16's team, they are disputing his affilation to another Club where he can play at his peer level, (no he is not a 6 foot 14 stone monster) he is lean and fast talented 16 year old.

Maybe another nail in the coffin of younger age RFL recruitment, I did recently raise the point of diminishing squads of under 16's downwards, I am now informed that there are fewer league teams and fewer squad members this year than last in the whole of the North of England.

At our club Cramlington Rockets we are now arranging matches further away from our our leagues area in the North East.

This year we have been down to Yorkshire for two games, across to Barrow in Furness for a game and had a visit from Egremont Rangers (Cumbria) at our home ground at Astley High School, Seaton Delaval, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear

On Sunday 23rd June we are traveling to Edinburgh to play Aberdeen Spartans at under 15's and under16's, the funding is hard to cover for both teams but we are meeting halfway by arrangement at an Edinburgh University Ground

Anyone out there who like to visit Cramlington Rockets at Seaton Delaval near Newcastle on Tyne contact us anytime.

Ted C.

#44 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

The RFL "have seen the light".

Whatever they call it, duel registration has been allowed, playing at different levels is now OK our young un's can play for other teams at their own peer level if the Club they are a member off does not have a team of their own age group.

Ted C.

#45 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

The RFL "have seen the light".

Whatever they call it, duel registration has been allowed, playing at different levels is now OK our young un's can play for other teams at their own peer level if the Club they are a member off does not have a team of their own age group.

Ted C.

That's always been the rule Ted as far as I'm aware.

The prohibition is against youth players moving to a different club for open age purposes if you too have an open age set up in the same competition.

The issue is one of timing the signing on's in the right order. Most club registration secretaries have known that for years , but it can be tricky I accept   if you hit it for the first time     

Meanwhile keep up the good work up there .........

#46 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks very much Coach, we are getting there gradually, we need more media attention and help from the Top End input to the junior levels to move the game forward.

The game is now getting much better, superbly fast especially since playing the advantage game more

Regards

Ted C.

#47 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

On Sunday 23rd June we are traveling to Edinburgh to play Aberdeen Spartans at under 15's and under16's, the funding is hard to cover for both teams but we are meeting halfway by arrangement at an Edinburgh University Ground

Ted C.

Hi Ted, where are you playing? I wouldn't mind coming to watch if I have time on Sunday. Is it Peffermill?

#48 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

RFL ENGLAND v SCOTLAND at Edinburgh

Sunday 23rd June 2013

Cramlington Rockets (Newcastle)

v

Aberdeen Spartans

Peffermill Playing Fields

University of Edinburgh

42 Peffermill Road

Edinburgh, EH16 5LL

U15's game KO at 1.00pm & U17's game KO at 2:30pm

Hi Coach maybe we should be meeting at Bannockburn?

Should be a good measure of RFL standards outside of Yorkshire & Lancashire

Regards, Ted C.

Edited by TedCharlton, 20 June 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#49 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Many years ago team structures were 9's,11's,13's,15's,17's.That seemed to work.

This was the system when I played, worked well

#50 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

This was the system when I played, worked well

Some clubs just have too many players for that though. A good amateur club like Oulton Raiders have U7s, U8s, U9s, U10s, U11s, U12s, 2 x U13s, 2 x U14s & U15s. They aren't alone in having teams at so many age groups.

#51 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi ehbandit,

Wish we had a surplus of teams and player that you seem to have in Wakefiled, Maybe in 5 to 10 years time hopefully.

We are having to travel afar to get games of any standard, to Edinburgh tomorrow to play a team travelling down from Aberdeen

and us up to Ediburgh from Newcastle.

Ted C.

#52 TedCharlton

TedCharlton
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

RFL ENGLAND v SCOTLAND ? at Edinburgh

Sunday 23rd June 2013

Cramlington Rockets (Newcastle) ( U15's & U17's )

v

Aberdeen Spartans ( U15's & U17's )

Peffermill Playing Fields, University of Edinburgh

42 Peffermill Road, Edinburgh, EH16 5LL

What a Day!! three seasons within four hours (wet, windy and sunny), got wet and dried without moving from the playing field

The U15's were powerful throughout and coasted through their game from the off

52 - 4

The U17's was a storming contest with both sides attacking constantly finishing many of their sets in their opponents half.

It was always nip & tuck to half time the score 12 - 12 ? The second half was even until the last 20 minutes then the Rockets depth and strength showed and they ran up another 3 tries and two conversions to the Spartans one try.

32 - 16

A great day for Rugby league in the North! looking forward to another meeting next year if not before.

Ted Charlton (Newcastle)

Edited by TedCharlton, 24 June 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#53 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi ehbandit,

Wish we had a surplus of teams and player that you seem to have in Wakefiled, Maybe in 5 to 10 years time hopefully.

We are having to travel afar to get games of any standard, to Edinburgh tomorrow to play a team travelling down from Aberdeen
and us up to Ediburgh from Newcastle.

Ted C.

maybe you have me mixed up with another poster?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users