Promotion?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cassandra

cassandra
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Big coverage for ORLFC in tonight's Chronicle and Advertiser with no fewer than 3 photos on 3 different pages of CH in the Chron. (CH gets more photos in the local paper than any other person I know!!)

The articles are very good, building on Oldham's good start to the season and encouraging results. It's a while since the 'feelgood factor' was quite so pronounced and I fully endorse the stated aim of promotion in 2013.

BUT, now for the sting in the tail, promotion where? The articles mention anything but the ground. We currently do not have a ground to play Championship rugby on and there is no information forthcoming about how that can be resolved. I don't like to pour cold water on what promises to be a good season but any info re the ground would be most welcome. Months go by and now run into years and NOTHING! If anything Whitebank is now in a worse state now than when we first played there. Please, please, please can we know where we stand?

#2 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Whitebank Road side, and, if you don't get there early enough, you can't see! Seriously, your third paragraph is absolutely spot on. I still have some doubts, for the umpteenth time and despite all the noises, whether the club really do want promotion. Why oh why are we again running an under 20s team this year when, for one year only, we could use the money saved to sign experienced players in the right positions to help considerably in the promotion push, as Doncaster, Barrow, Workington and Whitehaven did last year. Developing your own is laudable, but, until it's one of the criteria for gaining promotion, it should not get in the way of the number one goal, getting out of this dump of a division.

#3 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

I do believe we have a squad and coaches good enough to take us up to the Championship but it will be tough and I strongly believe the supporters can play a big part in getting behind the team. As for the ground, it's going to be difficult in the current climate to raise the funds but if those funds can be raised the timescales for upgrading the ground are well within reach. And if funds can't achieved we may be back on our travels again!. I do not agree with the idea of scrapping the youngsters. This year we are seeing the benefit of running the under 18s but in particular the Under 23s. We have Nieldy, Cookie, Dally, Phil Joy, Danny Langtree, Gilchrist and Wardy, all of whom have come from that set up. Money well spent in my opinion. I have been massively impressed with the coaches and really think we can do something this year but starting with the Good Friday game, it is going to be tough with the Hairnets, North Wales and London pushing us for the two promotion places. Lets get behind the lads, Come on you Yeds.

Edited by TOSH1960, 28 March 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#4 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Include Oxford as difficult opponents for us.There will be no room for any error with the amount of games to play.

#5 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

The 2013 league season starts today.

We should be a little optimistic about the 2013 season after six seasons in the bottom tier we now have a squad, coach and club attitude that is positive. No matter what happens it is opening day of the league season with a game against our local rivals who will be looking to correct two defeats. Should be a cracking match, maybe a sin bin or two thrown in the mix. The only objective for today's game is collecting 3 points.

Come on Oldham!!!!!

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users