Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London v Catalan attendance

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

1136 at London v Catalan tonight. Appalling !

Posted Image

#2 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Absolutely pathetic
Posted Image

#3 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Come on lads - RL is booming in the South. Don't you read the propaganda :) :).

Posted Image

#4 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Surely London's days in Super League are numbered ?!

Posted Image

#5 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

your jokin aint u they could get gates of 10 every week and the RFL would still back them

#6 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Shame it was a poor crowd as by the looks of it, it probably will have actually been a decent game to watch!

#7 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Surely London's days in Super League are numbered ?!

You would think so Rog, but the powers that be seem to think that even after 20years of failings that its going to work. They have had to move their game again this week to accommodate RU, think its time the RL world clubbed together, and got rid of these dead horses once and forall

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#8 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

1000 today is not too bad considering the soccer were at home.

Is there any plans for a reduced cost for next weeks cup game? I think there will be a few not bothering, I'm away but back for the massive Swinton game which again is a must win!

#9 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

The Broncos game was at Esher RU Club. How far is this away from The Stoop. I think it's a fair distance.

If you need a good laugh (or cry) read page 3 of this weeks Rugby Leaguer.; The headline is 'Nigel Wood Delight at Newcomers' Performances.' I think the gates at that level are pathetic and I will be amazed if they improve this season.

Posted Image

#10 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think you all read too much into crowd attendances and keep comparing rugby league crowds to those of rugby union.

Outside of the Premiership, the RU crowds aren't much bigger than those in our Championship and if our game received the same national exposure as rugby union, and we had promotion and relegation to make the competition more interesting, then I'm sure our crowds would be even closer.

If you go down to regional leagues, then I would say amateur rugby league wins hands down, as I've seen very few rugby union games with a decent crowd watching, and all our top RL games seem to attract healthy crowds with a lot of clubs recording average crowds of 250-300.

Also London have serious problems as we all know, there biggest problem is finding a suitable ground to play at, with good central transport links to get there. Harlequins hasn't worked and its slap bang in the middle of a traditional rugby union area. Its probably on a par with putting an American Football team in Barrow and wondering why nobody watches it.

I totally disagree with people on this forum about London as the game does have a future in the capital. There are now three professional sides and they will improve as the evolve, don't forget the northern game had an 85 year head start on the southerners. Whats the other option? Bring in Featherstone or Halifax to Super League at their expense to add yet another M62 club to fully endorse the games northern image?

Maybe we need to seriously look at TV money and try and get additional money from Sky or other TV companies and collective advertising and use this to subsidise the clubs in development areas, ie: Cumbria and London.

If a Superleague club was set up in Cumbria and they were given £2 million per year rather than the £1 million given to the likes of St. Helens or Wigan with strict guidlelines on working with the amateur game, this surely would help make the league more competitive whilst at the same time giving the new clubs a chance to compete with the traditional clubs

#11 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Excellent post. Very constructive.

Posted Image

#12 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just to add to the previous posts on this, Broncos under 18s stuffed Bradford on Friday. The gates at Hemel and Cheltenham were pretty creditable considering - small acorns and all that. The top line of the sport is struggling for sure, but below that there is a lot to be pleased with.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#13 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

1400 yesterday for London v Bradford. Yet again another dire attendance.

Posted Image

#14 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think you all read too much into crowd attendances and keep comparing rugby league crowds to those of rugby union.

Outside of the Premiership, the RU crowds aren't much bigger than those in our Championship and if our game received the same national exposure as rugby union, and we had promotion and relegation to make the competition more interesting, then I'm sure our crowds would be even closer.

If you go down to regional leagues, then I would say amateur rugby league wins hands down, as I've seen very few rugby union games with a decent crowd watching, and all our top RL games seem to attract healthy crowds with a lot of clubs recording average crowds of 250-300.

Also London have serious problems as we all know, there biggest problem is finding a suitable ground to play at, with good central transport links to get there. Harlequins hasn't worked and its slap bang in the middle of a traditional rugby union area. Its probably on a par with putting an American Football team in Barrow and wondering why nobody watches it.

I totally disagree with people on this forum about London as the game does have a future in the capital. There are now three professional sides and they will improve as the evolve, don't forget the northern game had an 85 year head start on the southerners. Whats the other option? Bring in Featherstone or Halifax to Super League at their expense to add yet another M62 club to fully endorse the games northern image?

Maybe we need to seriously look at TV money and try and get additional money from Sky or other TV companies and collective advertising and use this to subsidise the clubs in development areas, ie: Cumbria and London.

If a Superleague club was set up in Cumbria and they were given £2 million per year rather than the £1 million given to the likes of St. Helens or Wigan with strict guidlelines on working with the amateur game, this surely would help make the league more competitive whilst at the same time giving the new clubs a chance to compete with the traditional clubs

#15 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

1400 yesterday for London v Bradford. Yet again another dire attendance.

honestly m8 its shocking! how can a SL club survive on these kind of figures? southerners obviously dont like the game, must be to physical for them!

who ever it is, that is pumping money in to the broncos(?) should  put it in  to a club or area (cumbria) that actualy loves the game, jeez!!!!! :angry:

we (cumbria) might not turn out top attendances if we where in SL, but they would be a damb sight better than what london are getting,with a  pop of 8+million.

#16 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

honestly m8 its shocking! how can a SL club survive on these kind of figures? southerners obviously dont like the game, must be to physical for them!

who ever it is, that is pumping money in to the broncos(?) should put it in to a club or area (cumbria) that actualy loves the game, jeez!!!!! :angry:

we (cumbria) might not turn out top attendances if we where in SL, but they would be a damb sight better than what london are getting,with a pop of 8+million.

spot on!

Posted Image

#17 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Must be too physical for them?

Yeah. Sam Tomkins is a right softie.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users