Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Double Header

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

With all due respect to Leigh I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in watching them play a Leeds amateur team in the cup. Nevertheless it looks like I'll have to pay a 50% surcharge to watch the Lions on the same day regardless. Is the decision on joint ticket pricing more likely to put people off than get them in? Loyalty to Swinton is one thing but I have no loyalty to Leigh. Or maybe everyone thinks it's a great idea?

#2 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

It's a nonsense idea. Why can't a one game ticket be issued?!

#3 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Its what happens when you dont have control over the ground. Roll on agecroft, you never know another announcement will probably be due soon.

#4 ian c

ian c
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Not a lot of Leythers are happy about it either guys. Good luck for the rest of the season.

#5 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

It's the same both ways isn't it, Leigh fans won't want to come earlier to watch the Lions match. Attendance will be down no doubt.

#6 ian c

ian c
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

It's the same both ways isn't it, Leigh fans won't want to come earlier to watch the Lions match. Attendance will be down no doubt.

That's true mate, although I do know a few Leythers that like the idea and are coming to watch your game as well, but in the main most as yourselves are against it, the cost will put most off I think to be fair.

#7 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

They'd have done better keeping the price the same, more people would turn up AND watch both games.

#8 ian c

ian c
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

They'd have done better keeping the price the same, more people would turn up AND watch both games.

Yes I agree mate it then give people the option to watch one game if they so wish at no extra cost.

#9 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Toulouse are running a trip for their fans at EURO 490 per head i think it was. Lets hope some of them can afford to come.

#10 ian c

ian c
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Toulouse are running a trip for their fans at EURO 490 per head i think it was. Lets hope some of them can afford to come.

I wouldn't hold your breathe on many coming over from Toulouse RIGGY.

#11 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Don't know whether it's right but I heard that Leigh normally charge £18 to get in and weren't prepared to reduce the entry fee to £15 as per Swinton's, so the double header is £18 ???
I'm off out celebrating my umpteenth birthday so I won't be attending the double-header.

#12 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Doesn't look like this was properly thought out at all does it?
It's a barmy idea and will likely be viewed that way by both clubs' fans.

#13 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Of the Lions fans I've spoken to about this double-header, two matches for the price of one, most would seem to be unenthusiastic to say the least. I wonder, what do Leigh fans think on the subject?. But Leigh don't seem to be members of the same forum for some odd reason. Has anybody got any ideas as to how we can read their fans' thoughts in the run-up to next Saturday?

:rolleyes:

#14 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Of the Lions fans I've spoken to about this double-header, two matches for the price of one, most would seem to be unenthusiastic to say the least. I wonder, what do Leigh fans think on the subject?. But Leigh don't seem to be members of the same forum for some odd reason. Has anybody got any ideas as to how we can read their fans' thoughts in the run-up to next Saturday?

:rolleyes:

Just for you internet luddites http://forums.rlfans...tsmp=1364845637

#15 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Don't know whether it's right but I heard that Leigh normally charge £18 to get in and weren't prepared to reduce the entry fee to £15 as per Swinton's, so the double header is £18 ???
I'm off out celebrating my umpteenth birthday so I won't be attending the double-header.

Not sure about that as it was only a tenner IIRC the last time we played an amateur team at the LSV.

Worth mentioning that the prices would presumably have to be agreed by all four teams (plus the LSV, of course).

Personally think it's a good idea that has been dreadfully, dreadfully executed. From a personal point of view, I'd be attending with my five year old so I've no chance of getting him to remain entertained in the cold for four hours, nor is it kind to expect him to. So in the region of £20 for the two of us to watch a no contest in the Leigh game is just not happening, I have to draw a line of sanity somewhere. Was actually surprised how many people mentioned at the game today that they would still be attending, but there will still a significant number who won't be bothering at that price.

For what it's worth, I'd say the Swinton game is the far more enticing of the two by the way!

#16 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hold on, let's get this right...

Leigh really think watching them play an amateur team from Leeds is worth £18 and weren't prepared to drop their prices? No wonder they're struggling for fans. Paying full price to see Swinton play a comparable standard semi-pro team like Toulouse is a reasonable deal. Like someone else has said, this doesn't seem very well thought out at all. It's certainly not clear.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#17 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'm off to watch Ince Rose Bridge v Hemel anyway, which for some bizarre reason is being played at Wigan RUFC and not at the excellent Rose Bridge ground.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

#18 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

I'm off to watch Ince Rose Bridge v Hemel anyway, which for some bizarre reason is being played at Wigan RUFC and not at the excellent Rose Bridge ground.

It could have been worse Jonty you could have been watching Barrow!!!

#19 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

It could have been worse Jonty you could have been watching Barrow!!!

I'd have been very tempted by Barrow v Leigh Miners at Miners. I've actually been to more Swinton games (one) in the past two years than I have Barrow ones, although the reason is that I don't fancy a 180 mile round trip per game. Living between Wigan and Leigh I'm spoiled for choice now the National Conference season has started again.
disques vogue

#20 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hold on, let's get this right...

Leigh really think watching them play an amateur team from Leeds is worth £18 and weren't prepared to drop their prices? No wonder they're struggling for fans. Paying full price to see Swinton play a comparable standard semi-pro team like Toulouse is a reasonable deal. Like someone else has said, this doesn't seem very well thought out at all. It's certainly not clear.

See my previous post. Though you have my sympathy after seeing that you live in no man's land ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users