Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rochdale Deserve Opening Day Win and Three Points Dropped

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Rochdale Hornets deserved the opening game day win and Oldham were lucky to grab a bonus point.

The Hornets raced into a 16 nil lead and they fully deserved it, like South Wales last week Oldham's ability to play for the full 80 mins is absent despite the squads increased levels of fitness. Oldham were kept to a single score in the first half, Oldham's defence was solid at times but three try's down the Oldham right hand side cost Oldham the match in the first half.......I have mentioned this weakened right hand side every game but still we concede try after try down that side........it is not rocket science..... Mo had a good game catching every ball in the air but he can't tackle for toffee.

The second half Oldham came out and went 18 16 ahead with some very progressive offensive work, Rochdale looked on the ropes but no sooner had we took the lead, Rochdale went over to retake it. An unfortunately an unforced error 10 meters from the Oldham try line by Mo cost us another try and the match...

A detailed report will follow but Oldham didn't deserve anything today and we lucky grab a bonus point, The Rochdale forwards were bigger and stronger, just like North Wales and this is going to be an issue all season.

This season comprises of 16 games and there is no room for error but Oldham have have already committed an unforeseen error by losing at home to local rivals Rochdale on the opening day of the season.

I examined the league and predicted we would lose four matches this season, those being North Wales home and away, Rochdale away and London Skolars away that would have given us eleven wins and a total of 33 points, enough to finish second but after today's poor performance we are already down to ten wins which equals to thirty points and maybe now third or even fourth place in a league of development teams. After seven seasons in the bottom tier we are not showing any signs of progressing on the field.

I had a new found optimism for this season but after today's poor show the team have managed to burst the bubble and I have come crashing down to earth with a massive reality check.

I heard the team vice captain talking to the players about winning next weeks game at Hunslet in the cup but the league is the only priority for me...Three points dropped today so welcome o the play off's, in such a small league we can not gain automatic promotion if we continue to put that type of performance in every week.

Regards

Disappointed!!!!!!

Edited by oldham13, 29 March 2013 - 06:01 PM.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#2 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

So whats the thoughts on this division with the big Hemel win at London Skolars.

#3 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hi, Sorry not seen the results yet!!!!Did Hemel win?

Yes, Good win for Hemel and an opening day victory for Oxford with 3 ex Oldham players scoring 6 of the teams 7 try's

Edited by oldham13, 29 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#4 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Like others I'm also disapointed with the result and the manner in which we opened the first half. I just hope they bounce back as well as they did after the North Wales game. On a different note, i was really sad to hear Oldham fans turning on Chris Hough's wife and kids. We all know Houghie and he can take all the flak you can throw at him but it's out of order when his wife and kids get stick. To be honest that's sickened me even more than the result.

#5 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Like others I'm also disapointed with the result and the manner in which we opened the first half. I just hope they bounce back as well as they did after the North Wales game. On a different note, i was really sad to hear Oldham fans turning on Chris Hough's wife and kids. We all know Houghie and he can take all the flak you can throw at him but it's out of order when his wife and kids get stick. To be honest that's sickened me even more than the result.

Anyone who abused his wife and children should be banned from the ground for life! Disgraceful behaviour if true!

#6 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I didn't see this and Chris and his wife were in the club after the game

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

I assure you it's true, i spoke to Chris' wife Nicola and boys on their way out and we have chatted on fb. It's just not on and this wasn't a drunken young yob. He was abusing Chris and was told he was out of order and so turned on them.

Edited by TOSH1960, 30 March 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#8 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Who ever it was thats totally out of order and deserves to be banned from future matches by the club

#9 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I agree, no place in rugby league for disgraceful behaviour like that.....Oldham has always been a friendly place to watch rugby, so lets keep it that way.

In the cold light of day, I can't help but feel yesterday was a wasted opportunity to get league campaign off to a great start, we are chasing the rest of the pack already!!!

Rochdale were the better team and we reverted to script under pressure........

Edited by oldham13, 30 March 2013 - 09:50 AM.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#10 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Edited by oldham13, 30 March 2013 - 09:56 AM.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#11 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Although we were naive in the first half we had the opportunity to win. But two incidents lost it for us. The kick out on the full took the ball back to our half. From there they scored. And the second incident when Agoro spilled the ball allowing them again t o score. A tale of if onlys once again.

#12 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

There is no need for abuse of any kind in rugby or any game. To subject an ex player and his family to it is a disgrace. That person should be named, shamed and banned whoever they are.

#13 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi Harry, If I knew the guys name I would be telling the club but I know him by sight but what annoyed me was that stewards went and stood by but did nothing about it. If he's there at the next match, i will certainly be challenging him.

#14 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

The abuse is unacceptable.

For the game we should accept that on the day Rochale had the better game plan and deserved the win.No point beating ourselves up, we are still a good team who will be in with a shout of promotion at the end of the year.

We are a young team and will learn from this experience...as will the coaches.

Rochdale moved Thompon to loose who had a good game and targeted Dally from the off, worked him hard and got into his head in the end i'm afraid.Again Dally will learn from this but i think a rocket for walking off is coming his way.

Thought we missed the experience of Rhoden, Michael Ward (who is absent for exams I think) for his go forward and Gilchrist(injured) for his agression and power in defence and attack.

Roll on next week, this season ain't gonna be for the faint hearted.
One for all and all for the one

#15 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi Harry, If I knew the guys name I would be telling the club but I know him by sight but what annoyed me was that stewards went and stood by but did nothing about it. If he's there at the next match, i will certainly be challenging him.

The stewards should be reported as well and stopped from doing the job. That is one of the things they are paid to do. If you see the chap who was abusive tell the club management and let them deal with it.

#16 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I would play Roden every week. The team needs his experience and guidance on the field.

#17 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I honestly don't know if the stewards knew what had happened or just resonded to the disturbance. But at least two of them stood there for the remainder of the match. To be honest i had no fear for Nicola, the guy was a far bigger whimp than she will ever be , but Nicola or her lads should never be put in that position again. Neither should our lads and their families. Sorry about this because we should be talking about the game. And as disapointed as i was, well done Hornets. But come on you Yeds!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users