Yorkshire v Lancashire instead of England v The Exiles

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

I can see the benefits of that as a coaching tool.

Would folk flock in to watch it ? Probably not.

I think it's the only way to get a competitive fixture and assess the fringe players in a competitive environment. If marketed well as a trial, alongside a single Exiles fixture it could work. The Exiles didn't work as a two game series last year and it didn't see fans flocking to those either.

France would be my preference overall, but they are just not strong enough right now to provide the type of game an England side need.

#82 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

As an aside on the Probables v Possibles concept, I'd also like to think it could test the coaching acumen of a rival coach. I personally think the likes of Shaun Wane or Brian McDermott are more tactically astute and much better motivators than McNamara and therefore have a reasonable possibility of beating his first choice XIII with the second choice XIII. At least then we would know if McNamara was the right man for the job based on his selections and coaching ability without excuses. England need pressure to succeed and the coach shouldn't be immune from it either.

#83 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I think you have to decide if you want a competitive preparation game enough to care about whether it makes money.

Nice if it does, obviously.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#84 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

I think you have to decide if you want a competitive preparation game enough to care about whether it makes money.

Nice if it does, obviously.

I'd say a competitive fixture should be a priority and is key to any potential success of the international team. Obviously if it makes money then all the better, but the Exiles concept has hardly been a runaway success in this context. The two game series last year was pointless, but assuming the Exiles concept is being kept and their are two dates in the calendar, maybe date one could be a double header for selections with an Exiles probables v possibles (including Welsh, Scottish, Irish and French) as the curtain raiser to the England Probables and Possibles. The first game could be a damp squib, but I'd certainly pay to watch two games at least one of which is guaranteed to be intense. The outcomes of the game would build up game two - England v Exiles.

Edited by giwildgo, 02 April 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#85 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

The trouble with Probables v Possibles is that one team is playing its reserve team.

#86 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

The trouble with Probables v Possibles is that one team is playing its reserve team.

No it's not.
People called Romans they go the house

#87 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

I know Parky mentioned it earlier, but my preference for a two game series would be a first game of probables vs possibles, with the second game against the Exiles. It would have multiple benefits - firstly it would force McNamara to pick depth in all positions based on a 34 man squad, it would create better competition for places and it would motivate possibles to prove they are more deserving than the probables. Even excluding overseas additions I'd love to see the likes of the following positional match ups.

FB Tomkins v Lomax
WGs Hall / Charnley v Briscoe / Cockayne
C Watkins / Cudjoe v Atkins / Welham
SO Sinfield v Myler
SH Chase v Brough
P Crabtree / Mossop v Hill / Lynch
H Roby v McIlorum
SR Westwood / Hock v Farrell / Bateman
LF O'Loughlin v Ward

Plenty of others you could sub into most positions as well.

I've said before I think this has loads more mileage than the Exiles concept. Id like to see Macca pick 20/22 players. Then it could be done one of two ways either we appoint a coach who picks a side to play them. Or we do it the way the Aussies do the all star game and fans actually vote to pick say 13 players leaving a bit of space for the coach to pick the rest of the squad so he can put his stamp on it. All fans think they can pick a better side than McNamara so let them try. It also gives them a connection to the side. It would certainly make it easier for the coach to see who over stayed in the side and who was ready for a chance at international level.

#88 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Lets have a Lancashire , Yorkshire and Cumbria tournament made up of Champioship Players instead of super league and show it on Premier Sports

#89 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

No it's not.

If it isn't, then there are some errors in the selection.

#90 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

If it isn't, then there are some errors in the selection.

I was being pedantic.

It would be the Probables first team against the Possibles first team. No reserves in there. :ph34r:
People called Romans they go the house

#91 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I was being pedantic.

It would be the Probables first team against the Possibles first team. No reserves in there. :ph34r:

Ah. I see. :blink:

#92 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth where RL has little or no cash, needs a boost from meaningful internationals between sovereign countries and has a league structure with few gaps for additional fixtures none of these ideas will break even never mind make cash.

Can you see Wane/McDermott releasing Tomkins/Sinfield for a Probables/Possibles game played in front of a few thousand at Halifax - they'd get a slight strain that needed time to recuperate quicker than an RL fan can shout farce.

Sure the same candidates would be withdrawn from England v Celtic Tigers or England v France, but that would serve to make those games closer and MORE competitive. I would prefer to see regular mid-season games v Scotland, Ireland, France, Wales etc; (not all of them every season but enough to create a meaningful international programme). However I see the concern about a need for the England side to be challenged ahead of World Cups or 4 Nations and would advocate a short-term policy of the Celtic nations playing a mini-tournament then England (& France?) playing the Celtic Tigers. Regarding the French, we cannot bemoan their best youngsters getting tempted by union, then choose not to offer them internationals because they are not good enough at present.

The suggestion about a County based comp below SL level is a reasonable one - but it would have to be something manageable and attention grabbing.

How about;

Cumbria, South Yorks, North Yorks & Northumbria, West Yorks, Lancashire, Wales, Southern England and Midlands (could add Scotland or Ireland to this in future as a development tool)

9's competition played over a Bank Holiday weekend - possibly tied in with NRC final or similar.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#93 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Lets have a Lancashire , Yorkshire and Cumbria tournament made up of Champioship Players instead of super league and show it on Premier Sports

I think that is a decent idea. Would an Other Counties team work, given that it would mainly be made up of Champ 1 players?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#94 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

if the celtic tigers where given test status,like GB would be, then the clubs would be bound by RLIF law to release players for a game against england and vice versa......likewise for a games against france....

the clubs don't have to release player for a game against the exiles though...cos the exiles are'nt a test nation..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#95 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'd like Championship players to have a shot at the rep game. I'd like to see an England Championship side compete with Wales, Scotland and Ireland in the autumn.

The problem with a county championship would be fitting it in. Plus it doesn't shake off the Northern stereotype.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users