Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Press Coverage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ratty

Ratty
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

I don't know about in other areas of the country but the local press coverage amateur teams are receiving in West Yorkshire is virtually non existent.

Easter weekend is one of the busiest weekends for sport and The Yorkshire Evening Post who headlines itself as "Your Leeds, Your Paper" has no mention of any NCL fixtures despite some potential cracking games; Stanningley v Cas Panthers, Milford v Rochdale Mayfield, Hunslet Warriors v East Leeds, Oulton v Dudley Hill plus the Quarter final of the BARLA National Cup games between Hunslet Old Boys v Driglington and Sharlston v Methley.

Normally on a Friday night, if you have a magnifying glass and search the Yorkshire Evening Post thoroughly, you can find details of weekend amateur fixtures, but they've surpassed themselves this week by total exclusion. Page after page about Leeds Rhino's but nothing about grass roots rugby. Is this the norm across the country ?

#2 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

In most cases its down to the PRO from the individual clubs to contact the sports desk (it used to be Peter Smith), and report any interesting facts etc.
They will then endevour. subject to available space, write any information received.
Or it used to be that way.

#3 Guardsman

Guardsman
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

In most cases its down to the PRO from the individual clubs to contact the sports desk (it used to be Peter Smith), and report any interesting facts etc.
They will then endevour. subject to available space, write any information received.
Or it used to be that way.

Since the new format/layout of the YEP, amateur rugby seems to have very much taken a back seat. IMO they are missing a trick here as amateur rugby has a great following and there are a couple of games on today that are local derbys and should attract good crowds. All the PRO's I know work very hard to provide information and I find it hard to believe that not one PRO from any local club sent in details.

#4 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Its quite good in Hull actually, the press are receptive of any match reports and generally publish them

#5 leighminers

leighminers
  • Coach
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Wigan evening post as a double page spread every Thursday in season previewing the weekend games for the Wigan and Leigh sides

#6 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I covered Milford v Mayfield so there should be something in both RL papers

#7 Ratty

Ratty
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I covered Milford v Mayfield so there should be something in both RL papers

Yes but rugby papers aren't local are they Gary.

#8 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

my local rag(nwem) is okish.....

games are played on a Saturday, the results and match reports are then published on a Wednesday, by then i already know all the scores and what happened in most the games so no point in buying it, there loss not mine, good coverage on the raiders though

Edited by shun, 30 March 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yes but rugby papers aren't local are they Gary.

Well if you live in Waterhead and you buy it from a Waterhead newsagents then its local, i know what youre saying but the plain fact is that local papers simply wont pay anyone to report/photograph local games purely because since the recession kicked in and every tom dick and harry gave sub standard images to the press for free just to see their name in a byline, the papers began to rely on these freebies, however the discerning joe who buys the paper stopped buying it because of the sub standard reporting/images.

The locals are now in a hole they dug for themselves and sportsdesks have seen their budgets cut and now dont have the money to pay for decent reporting/photographs so now find themselves preferring to print nothing rather than the ###### theyve served up for a few years.

Edited by Gary Coyle, 30 March 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#10 6brackendale

6brackendale
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

Dewsbury Reporter / Dewsbury Press are very good for local teams in Dewsbury

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

The Wigan Courier tends to have at least one NCL game covered per issue, Wigan v Thatto on Page 26 for example here.

Hopefully should have photos from Ince v Hemel in the next issue.

#12 sidsmudge

sidsmudge
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

All the Halifax teams inc pennine league clubs getgood coverage from Hx Courier