Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

01/04/13 - Catalan Dragons v Leeds Rhinos - KO 5.15pm

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Catalan Dragons (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Leeds Rhinos (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

... what?

Someone should be reprimanded for jumping up as if they have scored a try?! :lol:

Really?... Really?! :lol:

IMO the Bailey tackle was late but it looked like the first impact was the top of the shoulder and then into the face. I do believe if it was any other player on the pitch, it would have been a penalty and that's it. Bailey has been to red hall something like 3 times in his career. Hardly him having his seat ready.

I think it was more the fact that it was obvious, even to him, that he was nowhere near scoring a try.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#82 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I think it was more the fact that it was obvious, even to him, that he was nowhere near scoring a try.

I get that, but hardly worth a talking to is it? It didn't bother me one bit and it was against us. I just laughed.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#83 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I get that, but hardly worth a talking to is it? It didn't bother me one bit and it was against us. I just laughed.

It does smack of a further creeping in of soccer style antics.

Edited by Padge, 01 April 2013 - 07:11 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#84 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well some of that was vintage Leeds hating ,just a bit!well they have gutted the hater's by winning SL from 5th twice.Now it looks like they are gonna try to impede them by forcing them to be a man short for a good% of the game.Well up to now its not succeeding.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#85 Rex Turp

Rex Turp
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Leeds were sensational tonight. Defence was brilliant and that was with so many penaties against. Bailey was a little late but that was all, penalty then move on. Great result, expected more from the Catalans but why was Leon's try given? Even Stevo thought it was N-O-T-R-Y but maybe an excuse to make a game of it. As for those saying JJB is no good, what game do you watch??

Edited by Rex Turp, 01 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#86 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Well some of that was vintage Leeds hating ,just a bit!well they have gutted the hater's by winning SL from 5th twice.Now it looks like they are gonna try to impede them by forcing them to be a man short for a good% of the game.Well up to now its not succeeding.

Rubbish, if that was the case, Thaler would have done the right thing and put moon walk McGuire in the bin, but he bottled it. Leeds get the run of the green in every game, or else they would be pinged for walking 10 yards before playing the ball after each tackle.

#87 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Rubbish, if that was the case, Thaler would have done the right thing and put moon walk McGuire in the bin, but he bottled it. Leeds get the run of the green in every game, or else they would be pinged for walking 10 yards before playing the ball after each tackle.

Oh dear,12 man Leeds win and you get all upset.

[attachment=4035:smallMain_13_293.jpg]

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 01 April 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#88 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Oh dear,12 man Leeds win and you get all upset.

[attachment=4035:smallMain_13_293.jpg]

Nah!

#89 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Of course no rugby player in years gone by has tried to convince the ref he'd got a hand to a ball when he clearly hadn't when trying to score a try?!..

Martin Offiah in the '95 World Cup semi final against Wales anyone?..

If Pala claiming a try, that clearly wasn't, is evidence 'Football antics' are creeping into our game then it seems we've all got short memories. that kind of thing has been in the game for decades.

And as for Delaney's tattoo of a knuckle duster, maybe it reminds him of Jaiman Lowe..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#90 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

I thought Leeds were great. Defence was superb and they can do what a lot of teams can't do and impose themselves at the Stadium Gilbert Brutus! Catalans are bullies if you let them and Leeds dealt with that brilliantly - except Bailey - he got his card marked for a deliberate swinging arm to head in the first half. So the ref was correct to send him off in the second.

#91 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Nah!

Your posts on this thread suggest otherwise.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#92 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Of course no rugby player in years gone by has tried to convince the ref he'd got a hand to a ball when he clearly hadn't when trying to score a try?!..

Martin Offiah in the '95 World Cup semi final against Wales anyone?..

If Pala claiming a try, that clearly wasn't, is evidence 'Football antics' are creeping into our game then it seems we've all got short memories. that kind of thing has been in the game for decades.

And as for Delaney's tattoo of a knuckle duster, maybe it reminds him of Jaiman Lowe..

Just because others have done it doesn't make it right. :rolleyes:

#93 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

No it doesn't make it right but its part and parcel of the game.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 01 April 2013 - 09:48 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#94 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

That chip on your shoulder still weighing heavy. Everyone knows Leeds are a good side, but they are hardly persecuted against as you imply.

#95 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

That chip on your shoulder still weighing heavy. Everyone knows Leeds are a good side, but they are hardly persecuted against as you imply.

whoo hoo !just read it all the word hate is used several times
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#96 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

And as for Leeds playing better when Bailey was off..? Don't talk daft. Catalan tired and we didn't. That's why we won and thats been the difference between Leeds and the rest for the last half decade. Fitness.

I think you do Leeds a disservice, quite a few of the other teams are their match from a fitness perspective. What Leeds have is the psyche of a champion team - they have a settled and experienced team that know how to time their form perfectly and win the big one (CC excepted).

A big part of that in my opinion, more than any other factor is the presence of Jamie Peacock. Whilst the likes of Sinfield, Burrow, McGuire, Hall, etc, get the plaudits in differing years, it is no coincidence that Peacock has been the mainstay in dynasties at two separate clubs. His signing was the catalyst that took Leeds from contenders in the pack to dominance.

#97 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Good god Leeds fans are on another planet aren't they lol

Scrappy game that Leeds nearly threw away with shocking discipline. Bailey had been warned about the head shots already, Peacock should have taken 10 already (two games now he has been a penalty liability for Leeds) so when Bailey put a late, high shoulder barge in the ref had no other option.

Catalans just seemed to lack any spark in attack, Pryce had a shocker - kicking the ball when you have a 3 on 1 overlap! I hope he is made to watch that all week on DVD!

Leeds were lucky not to have a couple binned but did very well to get the win

#98 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

whoo hoo !just read it all the word hate is used several times

I've read it, but one borderline obsessive poster with a clear agenda is not proof of widespread hate. Most supporters have a lot of respect for Leeds success, if not always their method of achieving it, and frankly the "us vs the world" paranoia is both tired and unfounded. As a Wigan fan I enjoy banter with Leeds fans and have some slight envy for their recent success, but I reserve my true negativity for neighbouring rivals. I wanted Leeds to win all six recent GFs for obvious reasons (albeit the latter two through gritted teeth due to my dissatisfaction with the playoff structure).

To us over this side of the Pennines, Leeds are only relevant as any sort of rival when winning things, much like Bradford before them.

#99 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

No it doesn't make it right but its part and parcel of the game.

Abusing and gang raiding refs is part of the game in soccer, do we want it?

#100 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Maybe he genuinely thought he made contact with the ball?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users