TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

01/04/13 - Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull Kingston Rovers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

3. Draw (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

I presume you are going to propose some type of protection for the likes of Wigan when other clubs come along and take their best players?

http://www.wigantoda...lands-1-5565783

ahhh no but thats OK from everyone elses perspective because its leveling down the competition.

#182 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

But that very article itself says Mossop is keen to test himself in the NRL, much like Briscoe and the Burgii before them, so at this moment in tarm I don't think any sort of super dooper cap raise for 4 or 5 teams would necessarily keep him here.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#183 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Sorry Hindle I'm pretty sure that "I want to test myself in the NRL" is code for "They'll pay me more, and hey why not its a short career!"

If we could match their wages more closely then I think we'd see less player drain. And considering next year we could be losing Tomkins (to union or the NRL), Mossop and Hock (sort of though we'll get money for Hock) to the NRL I'm sure the lower clubs will be rejoicing that young British players are going abroad to further weaken the league. We may be able to replace Mossop with someone of similar standard with an extra year or two's development from the juniors, but we'll never replace Tomkins who is a once in a generation player, and though it pains me to say it, Hock either.

#184 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Sorry Hindle I'm pretty sure that "I want to test myself in the NRL" is code for "They'll pay me more, and hey why not its a short career!"

Only he knows that though. It might be naive but it might also be cynical.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#185 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

If we could match their wages more closely then I think we'd see less player drain.

Never going to happen. RL in this country just cannot compete with RL in Australia financially.

rldfsignature.jpg

#186 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

If we could match their wages more closely then I think we'd see less player drain. And considering next year we could be losing Tomkins (to union or the NRL), Mossop and Hock (sort of though we'll get money for Hock) to the NRL I'm sure the lower clubs will be rejoicing that young British players are going abroad to further weaken the league. We may be able to replace Mossop with someone of similar standard with an extra year or two's development from the juniors, but we'll never replace Tomkins who is a once in a generation player, and though it pains me to say it, Hock either.

I don't think the top will get weaker, I think the bottom will, and without sounding uppety, you didn't mention the option of signing a player from another team in SL, perhaps a lower team. An example being clubs looking at Kieran Dixon now...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#187 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Only he knows that though. It might be naive but it might also be cynical.

And yet oddly when the salary cap was in our favour few players went to the NRL and lots of players came here because "I've always wanted to test myself in Super League". My statement isn't cynical, just based on the observable evidence.

I don't think the top will get weaker, I think the bottom will, and without sounding uppety, you didn't mention the option of signing a player from another team in SL, perhaps a lower team. An example being clubs looking at Kieran Dixon now...

In fairness I was judging by our strength in the junior ranks in those positions. I think we've shown this year that we've got the depth in the forwards not to dip in to the transfer market to replace Mossop and Hock (our resilience in the forwards with the unexpected loss of Hock has impressed me in the early part of the season). As for Sam, he's just irreplaceable. We get get someone to play in that position but they aren't going to be as good as him (unless by some Miracle Billy Slater or Be Barba have always wanted to play for Wigan on a lower salary). We do have a few options for fullback as well.

#188 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Never going to happen. RL in this country just cannot compete with RL in Australia financially.

Thats what I like positive metal attitude. RL in this country will never compete with the Aussies until we find a way to unify the game and actually move forward. We've been waiting for clubs to catch up for over 10 years with a gradual reduction in the salary cap to help them. We need to look at other options. I'm not saying I have the answers. But leveling down seems to me to have failed.

#189 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

In fairness I was judging by our strength in the junior ranks in those positions. I think we've shown this year that we've got the depth in the forwards not to dip in to the transfer market to replace Mossop and Hock (our resilience in the forwards with the unexpected loss of Hock has impressed me in the early part of the season). As for Sam, he's just irreplaceable. We get get someone to play in that position but they aren't going to be as good as him (unless by some Miracle Billy Slater or Be Barba have always wanted to play for Wigan on a lower salary). We do have a few options for fullback as well.

Yeh true, although - and without wanting to take another thread drift - I think the change in u20's will really damage some clubs down the line. I was also thinking the same regarding Wigan in particular that with Burke, Spencer and Crosby the gap has been plugged well I thought. As for S Tomkins, yes, some players can be very difficult to replace, as my club have found out to their cost. My main point though was the bigger clubs will find a way to keep going, even if that means trumping the wages offered to players lower down the league, similar to the effect of the NRL has over here. Anyway, not all players always leave, money is not always everything to everyone, and is spun accordingly - "loyalty" or "lack bottle", see Cunningham for example.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#190 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I agree 100% about the u20's. Someone mentioned that Wigan voted for this, and if that is the case I'm appalled.(though I've not see the evidence one way or another, just someone said)

Sadly the players who don't leave to follow the money tend to be the exception and not the rule. Considering the length of their career and the state it tends to leave their bodies in afterwards I can't say I blame players following money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users