Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

01/04/13 - Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull Kingston Rovers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

3. Draw (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Thanks - couldn't make it yesterday. The Tomkins 3rd pass play has been lethal all year. Its the number of options that it creates and now that Smith / Green are also starting to use Tomkins as a decoy and play short balls to dummy runners on occasion it is just confusing defences as they can't just ignore Tomkins. Although it is extremely disappointing for Hull KR to concede so many, it shouldn't be forgotten that Wigan were also breaking Saints at will on Friday and could've been 30+ up at half time if they had been more clinical. Same with Widnes and Catalan before them. The combination of Smith, Green and Tomkins is really coming together now and with the young forwards stepping up this season is exceeding my expectations. Credit must go to Wane, Harris and Deacon - it obviously pays to have some of the most intelligent halfbacks of their generation in the coaching team.

Rovers will go on to fight another day! As for the Friday game, the Saints also fluffed chances in the first period. That said, Wigan did make much headway down the middle. As always, the acid test is the Grand Final, which has witnessed Leeds dominate over recent years.

#142 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Rovers will go on to fight another day! As for the Friday game, the Saints also fluffed chances in the first period. That said, Wigan did make much headway down the middle. As always, the acid test is the Grand Final, which has witnessed Leeds dominate over recent years.

Don't forget 2010 Ray :-)

Not getting carried away by any means at this stage, just content that Wigan are much better than expected. Keeping Tomkins fit is the challenge as our record without him is dreadful and his absence cost us against Leeds in the playoffs last years as well as at Headingley a few weeks back. Even when he is not playing well, his presence alone causes defences to make wrong decisions to account for his ability.

#143 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

There are far worse grounds in SL esp now that Craven Park has a new stand. Ever been to Odsal, Cas or Wakefield?

Yes have been to Cas, Wakey and Craven Park (not Odsal yet). Craven Park is by far the worst of those 3.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#144 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yes have been to Cas, Wakey and Craven Park (not Odsal yet). Craven Park is by far the worst of those 3.

See you didn't bother answering my points as usual. Go and take your drivel somewhere else.

#145 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Get back to supporting your team that has produced no juniors that have played for Australia and have massive financial difficulties. They have contributed nothing to the NRL and should be thrown out.

Now why don't you take your drivel back where it came from.

We don't have financial difficulties. We did in the past, but our new ownership quartet took over the club last year and the results are showing. No debt, no financial concerns and we've won 3/4 including beating Manly.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#146 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

It wont be the worst after the new stand is built

#147 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

We don't have financial difficulties. We did in the past, but our new ownership quartet took over the club last year and the results are showing. No debt, no financial concerns and we've won 3/4 including beating Manly.

Well from what I read I would disagree.

No answer on the juniors I see, the team you have "bought in" have managed to win some games this year. When you start producing your own kids then you can come back and crow that we don't.

#148 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,073 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

I have to say, I was rather underwhelmed when the signing of Green and Smith was announced, considering whose boots they had to fill. It's nice being wrong sometimes. :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#149 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I appreciate your list, I just don't think a number of them are from Wakefield and district junior ARL, and a couple may not be top 25 at their clubs??

I made it that there's as many Hull born and bred lads in the Hull 25 as in the HKR 25 so I have no qualms about Rovers imports. Good luck to them all clubs do it.

If I made a list of players who are born n bred under a WF postcode it would run to three pages

#150 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

A few things strike me:
- the main factor was Sandercock putting up the white flag last week. You should never give people an excuse to clock off. I suspect it affected the crowd numbers and the atmosphere as well;
- other teams will be beaten by a lot by this Wigan team. Our combinations and backs are so good now we have 2 passing and running halves we are a nightmare to play against;
- most teams have a limited number of stars on whom they rely. Wigan are a different team without Tomkins. Taking the 3 key men out of HKR was always going to make life very difficult for them. Put those 3 back in and they'll be a strong team again;
- I hesitate to write this but the reason Taylor is only now starting games is because he was not as fit as the rest of the squad when he joined. Leaving aside recruitment, that is something HKR can improve themselves. Indeed that is down to their coaching staff;
- I am excited about this year, and think the lls is again a possibility for us. Like the Japanese soldier in the jungle I continue to consider that to be a prize worth winning, though clearly the third of the 3 on offer; and
- to win anything more, we'd have to beat Leeds. We have shown at Wembley and in the play offs that we can do so, but they remain the benchmark. Their win last night was an ominous example of their ability to absorb and adapt to adversity.

#151 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

A few things strike me:
- the main factor was Sandercock putting up the white flag last week. You should never give people an excuse to clock off. I suspect it affected the crowd numbers and the atmosphere as well;
- other teams will be beaten by a lot by this Wigan team. Our combinations and backs are so good now we have 2 passing and running halves we are a nightmare to play against;
- most teams have a limited number of stars on whom they rely. Wigan are a different team without Tomkins. Taking the 3 key men out of HKR was always going to make life very difficult for them. Put those 3 back in and they'll be a strong team again;
- I hesitate to write this but the reason Taylor is only now starting games is because he was not as fit as the rest of the squad when he joined. Leaving aside recruitment, that is something HKR can improve themselves. Indeed that is down to their coaching staff;
- I am excited about this year, and think the lls is again a possibility for us. Like the Japanese soldier in the jungle I continue to consider that to be a prize worth winning, though clearly the third of the 3 on offer; and
- to win anything more, we'd have to beat Leeds. We have shown at Wembley and in the play offs that we can do so, but they remain the benchmark. Their win last night was an ominous example of their ability to absorb and adapt to adversity.

Absolutely spot on, although 3 men still would not have stopped the score yesterday. As you point out we are no were near fit enough when compared to Wigan. We need a new fitness coach and a new attitude.

And good luck to you in chasing the LLS it is a very worthy thing to strive for, finishing at the top of the table after you have played every other team deserves praise.

#152 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Is it safe to come out yet? :unsure:

#153 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Is it safe to come out yet? :unsure:

No clear off :D

#154 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

No clear off :D

I dare not read this thread so I might have to do that!

Tell you what, this result highlights an issue Hull as a city has. We need to determine why Wigan are about to field a side with majority local lads like they did yesterday and why the standard is a lot higher than our local lads. What are they doing differently? Why are we classing Hull as a hot bed of Rugby League when we are not producing local lads to the standard of Wigan.

This needs to be addressed and researched for me.

#155 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Nobody going to praise Wigan? I think some people need to focus on what a terrific job Shaun Wane has done. If you look at Wigans team there isn't any huge names apart from Tomkins O Loughlin and Richards. The pack is very young and Wigan deserve a lot of credit for what they are doing with such a young squad.

#156 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I dare not read this thread so I might have to do that!

Tell you what, this result highlights an issue Hull as a city has. We need to determine why Wigan are about to field a side with majority local lads like they did yesterday and why the standard is a lot higher than our local lads. What are they doing differently? Why are we classing Hull as a hot bed of Rugby League when we are not producing local lads to the standard of Wigan.

This needs to be addressed and researched for me.

I think we have to admit in Hull we are still light years behind the likes of Wigan and Leeds in the youth department. I can only speak for Hull FC as I do go and watch the academy teams regular with my nephew playing in the 16's and now the 19's. I do have to say that there has been a dramatic improvement over the last couple of years at FC but we are only starting to do now what as I mentioned Wigan and Leeds were doing years ago. I reckon its going to take at least 5 years to get to anywhere near the level they are. There are glimpses of it working with Tom Lineham and yesterday Jamie Shaul coming through, most of the 19's are between the ages of 16 and 19 as I think the club wants to get them use to a certain level over a longer period.

Edited by westhuller, 02 April 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#157 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Jamie Shaul played in my brother's age group at junior level. Maybe his example of a 'later developer' (so to speak) can be used to look at how we have set up the junior ranks.

And to appease barrowraiderskid Wigan were bloody marvellous ;)

#158 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Wigan have a fairly simple recipe for success. They coach and train their payers as a complete squad. Therefore the lower level, fringe players work to exactly the same game plans as the senior squad and can swap in and out relatively seamlessly. They also pay attention to detail in their preparation. This includes all aspects of the players perpetration from diet, conditioning and developing individual training plans. They are also very fit as a team and individuals (from what I’ve seen something all the top teams seem to be). Physical fitness more often than not will translate to mental toughness in a game when the chips are down (see Leeds effort against Cats for example).
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#159 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Don't forget 2010 Ray :-)

Not getting carried away by any means at this stage, just content that Wigan are much better than expected. Keeping Tomkins fit is the challenge as our record without him is dreadful and his absence cost us against Leeds in the playoffs last years as well as at Headingley a few weeks back. Even when he is not playing well, his presence alone causes defences to make wrong decisions to account for his ability.

Not at all Gareth, but It was long overdue for a club of Wigan's standing. I've read on here why Wigan are successful, but how do you measure success? Is it marketing and attendances (which Wigan are excellent at), an impressive youth policy, (again Wigan lead the way), or trophies?

Edited by Saint Billinge, 02 April 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#160 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Nobody going to praise Wigan? I think some people need to focus on what a terrific job Shaun Wane has done. If you look at Wigans team there isn't any huge names apart from Tomkins O Loughlin and Richards. The pack is very young and Wigan deserve a lot of credit for what they are doing with such a young squad.

I gave credit to Wigan and to Wane. I love his attitude and mentality. No excuses.

Our game is one of physical contact, aggression, skill, honesty and mental strength. Wane brings at least 4 of these components to the table and he has 2 assistant coaches who are 2 of the best half backs this country has seen in the last 20 years. Between them they are a great package. I would love a coach like him at my club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users