RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

01/04/13 - Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull Kingston Rovers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Wigan Warriors (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

3. Draw (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Not at all Gareth, but It was long overdue for a club of Wigan's standing. I've read on here why Wigan are successful, but how do you measure success? Is it marketing and attendances (which Wigan are excellent at), an impressive youth policy, (again Wigan lead the way), or trophies?

I don't think you'd get an argument from me that Leeds are the most successful side at the moment, given trophies are the benchmark. However Wigan and Warrington have still taken a reasonable share over the last three / four years and the former certainly rival Leeds on every other measure since Lenegan took over.

I'm not greedy or naive enough to expect the kind of success that Wigan enjoyed from the late 80s and 90s. Circumstances suggest that such a level of one team dominance in all major competitions is no longer achievable. I'm just happy that the club is now well managed, financially stable, marketed effectively and has a team to be proud of with a decent proportion of home grown players utilising the type of rugby that is a joy to watch. People on this forum might think the SL is in decline, but from a one club perspective the future hasn't looked brighter for Wigan in the SL era. However I'll reserve the right to change this view if / when Tomkins leaves in the Autumn.

#162 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I dare not read this thread so I might have to do that!

Tell you what, this result highlights an issue Hull as a city has. We need to determine why Wigan are about to field a side with majority local lads like they did yesterday and why the standard is a lot higher than our local lads. What are they doing differently? Why are we classing Hull as a hot bed of Rugby League when we are not producing local lads to the standard of Wigan.

This needs to be addressed and researched for me.

For me its the big fish in a little pond attitude. This has been going on in Hull for donkey's years. A little bit of success seems to be good enough, doing well in junior teams then maybe going to one of the top open age teams. You only have to look at the fact that we produce 5 teams in the top flight of the national conference, which is far more than anyone else. But the standard coming through to first grade just does not translate.

Whereas in places like Wigan success at St Pats is getting to play for Wigan, success at Wigan is winning trophies.

#163 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

For me its the big fish in a little pond attitude. This has been going on in Hull for donkey's years. A little bit of success seems to be good enough, doing well in junior teams then maybe going to one of the top open age teams. You only have to look at the fact that we produce 5 teams in the top flight of the national conference, which is far more than anyone else. But the standard coming through to first grade just does not translate.

Whereas in places like Wigan success at St Pats is getting to play for Wigan, success at Wigan is winning trophies.

I can't argue with that summing up. I've been saying for years that Hull as a city never produces the same number of internationals as the likes of Wigan and even Leigh (no disrespect intended Leigh fans). Hull should easily be turning out SL players by the score. Unfortunately they don't even turn out as many SL players as a single amateur club in Wigan does.

rldfsignature.jpg

#164 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

We've established that there is a legitimate issue here so we need to find the root cause and put something in place to try and improve the ever-increasing gap.

Wigan had some really impressive young players in there: Jack Hughes, Chris Tuson, Sam Powell, Clint Newton (Greg Burke), Tom Spencer etc.

Their production line has decked out a few Super League sides as well. A few sides have had a Wigan junior in their ranks in the last 5-10 years.

#165 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I can't argue with that summing up. I've been saying for years that Hull as a city never produces the same number of internationals as the likes of Wigan and even Leigh (no disrespect intended Leigh fans). Hull should easily be turning out SL players by the score. Unfortunately they don't even turn out as many SL players as a single amateur club in Wigan does.

I will never forget watching Paul Cooke playing loose forward for Hull Boys under 15's. There were easily 5 players in that team just as talented at that age but not one of them went any further in fact most of the kids stopped playing altogether within the nest 2 years.

#166 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I don't think you'd get an argument from me that Leeds are the most successful side at the moment, given trophies are the benchmark. However Wigan and Warrington have still taken a reasonable share over the last three / four years and the former certainly rival Leeds on every other measure since Lenegan took over.

I'm not greedy or naive enough to expect the kind of success that Wigan enjoyed from the late 80s and 90s. Circumstances suggest that such a level of one team dominance in all major competitions is no longer achievable. I'm just happy that the club is now well managed, financially stable, marketed effectively and has a team to be proud of with a decent proportion of home grown players utilising the type of rugby that is a joy to watch. People on this forum might think the SL is in decline, but from a one club perspective the future hasn't looked brighter for Wigan in the SL era. However I'll reserve the right to change this view if / when Tomkins leaves in the Autumn.

Wigan still lead the way on many aspects. Speaking of Tomkins, my brother-in-law always makes it an excuse if Wigan lose when Tomkins isn't playing! Surely Wigan aren't a one-man team? As of today, the side have made a great start given the doom-mongers who thought Wigan would suffer after losing so many influential players. Time will tell if it turns up trumps!

As for Leeds, will we ever see a side win three Grand Finals on the trot, or five out of six finals? Or lose five in a row? :rolleyes:

Edited by Saint Billinge, 02 April 2013 - 07:47 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#167 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Wigan still lead the way on many aspects. Speaking of Tomkins, my brother-in-law always makes it an excuse if Wigan lose when Tomkins isn't playing! Surely Wigan aren't a one-man team? As of today, the side have made a great start given the doom-mongers who though Wigan would suffer after losing so many influential players. Time will tell if it turns up trumps!

Recent games against Leeds suggest they are(just joking),he is one of Wigans major attacking threats with the ability to produce something from nothing but I wouldn't say they are a one man team.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#168 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Recent games against Leeds suggest they are(just joking),he is one of Wigans major attacking threats with the ability to produce something from nothing but I wouldn't say they are a one man team.

I'm sure the same reason was given when Wigan lost in last year's Grand Final play-offs without Tompkins! I could stand corrected. Some fans really do have rose-tinted glasses, including my cousin who is a Saints fan. At the end of the day, great sides overcome adversity.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#169 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

I gave credit to Wigan and to Wane. I love his attitude and mentality. No excuses.

Our game is one of physical contact, aggression, skill, honesty and mental strength. Wane brings at least 4 of these components to the table and he has 2 assistant coaches who are 2 of the best half backs this country has seen in the last 20 years. Between them they are a great package. I would love a coach like him at my club.

Wane has done an excellent job, seems to be a good man-manager and is also able to fire up the team spirits when necessary. We should also not forget the work done by Maguire too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#170 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm sure the same reason was given when Wigan lost in last year's Grand Final play-offs without Tompkins! I could stand corrected. Some fans really do have rose-tinted glasses, including my cousin who is a Saints fan. At the end of the day, great sides overcome adversity.

I hate to say it but I think we are a one man team. Whilst we should have enough to beat many teams without Tomkins we seem unable to.

This match against HKR was interesting with regards to Tomkins. In O'Loughlan's absence he was captain and played a completely different game. He only got one try but was involved in at least 8 others. He seemed to be directing the team much more vocally and acting more like a stand off (which many still see as his natural position).

I hope he stays after the world cup but sadly without some movement on the cap I can't see it. Indeed it wouldn't surprise me if the RFU push the boat out to make public his signing just before the WC to negate any good headlines it might generate. I'd still prefer him to got the the NRL but their cap is only due to increase the year after isn't it? Saying that I'd prefer he went to Saints or Leeds than union.

Edited by RidingPie, 03 April 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#171 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Wane has done an excellent job, seems to be a good man-manager and is also able to fire up the team spirits when necessary. We should also not forget the work done by Maguire too.

Yes Maguire started the ball rolling and Wane has carried it on. Although the trophies have not flooded in, I believe Wigan have laid the platform for continued success were they will challange for honours throughout the next 10 years, and if they maintain the production of young players then they will continue to be strong.

Both Rovers and Hull need to look to this example and really start to try and create a different attitude. Rovers especially seem to have this attitude that it is sufficient to do better than Hull. Whilest it is always nice to bet FC I get much greater satisfaction from going to Leeds and winning, or Wigan or Saints and Warrington. Because these are the clubs that are the yardstick, they win the trophies and if you want to win trophies these are the clubs you have to beat.

#172 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

Although the trophies have not flooded in, I believe Wigan have laid the platform for continued success were they will challange for honours throughout the next 10 years, and if they maintain the production of young players then they will continue to be strong.

TBF we've won 3 titles in 3 years, which isn't bad! (SL Grand Final, Challenge Cup and League Leaders Shield)

#173 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#174 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

TBF we've won 3 titles in 3 years, which isn't bad! (SL Grand Final, Challenge Cup and League Leaders Shield)

Sorry about that yes you have, it just seems quite a long time ago though.

#175 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Wigan still lead the way on many aspects. Speaking of Tomkins, my brother-in-law always makes it an excuse if Wigan lose when Tomkins isn't playing! Surely Wigan aren't a one-man team? As of today, the side have made a great start given the doom-mongers who thought Wigan would suffer after losing so many influential players. Time will tell if it turns up trumps!

As for Leeds, will we ever see a side win three Grand Finals on the trot, or five out of six finals? Or lose five in a row? :rolleyes:

The Tomkins point is a valid one, Wigan's record without him over the last three or four seasons is extremely poor, something like 3 wins in 11 games. Wigan need to find an effective way of playing in his absence.

In terms of the doom mongers, I'll admit I was one, and I'm happy to eat humble pie (rather than steak for once) in terms of how Wigan have performed so far.

In terms of Leeds, what they have done is phenomenal, although I think back to back to back GF winners is achievable again - it even might happen this season. Losing five times in a row however is a more unique achievement that is unlikely to be replicated ;-)

#176 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yeah that's 1 title ,1 cup and a Hubcap,the latter 2 nobody apart from the clubs fans remember,there is only 1 title that is remembered and its the SL crown

#177 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Anybody get the number of that bus?

Posted Image

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#178 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,148 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Anybody get the number of that bus?

Posted Image

Do you reckon they texted that number after the game?!
Posted Image

#179 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Yeah that's 1 title ,1 cup and a Hubcap,the latter 2 nobody apart from the clubs fans remember,there is only 1 title that is remembered and its the SL crown

I was quite specific in my wording. Title! I didn't say champions or trophies. And titles is exactly what they are. You may argue about their value, but we won them regardless.

#180 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,148 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

4 titles.
You won the LLS in 2010 as well.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users