League NRC or Grand Final

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

There is a lot of Fev fans think we are the best team in the league by far just because we have got some money to spend I personally think over the last three years we have been the best by winning the league but money doesn't always win you cup matches they are on offs and anything can happen on the day

There is talk that we must win the NRC and grand final this year or else we have failed which I think is not right but that's just my opinion. If this is the case why are people worrying when we lose a league match as we need to be at our best when we play in these cup matches

As a fan what would you like to win and it what order

1 league ( proves your the best over a season )

2 Grand Final

3 NRC

I'm interested in what other fans of Fev and other clubs think is important to them and there club

#2 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Why didnt you set up a poll and make thinks easier
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#3 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

A win in next game would suffice at the minute never mind everything else

#4 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I want to win a final you don't get the recognition you deserve for just winning the league, although at the moment I'd be happy to be in a final

#5 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

There is a lot of Fev fans think we are the best team in the league by far just because we have got some money to spend I personally think over the last three years we have been the best by winning the league but money doesn't always win you cup matches they are on offs and anything can happen on the day

There is talk that we must win the NRC and grand final this year or else we have failed which I think is not right but that's just my opinion. If this is the case why are people worrying when we lose a league match as we need to be at our best when we play in these cup matches

As a fan what would you like to win and it what order

1 league ( proves your the best over a season )

2 Grand Final

3 NRC

I'm interested in what other fans of Fev and other clubs think is important to them and there club

The team that finishes top of the league are not the League Champions they win the League Leaders Shield to be League Champions you have to win the Grand Final.
When there is a Play Off at the end of the season it is about having most of your first choice 17 available and hitting form at the end of the season. Look at Leeds Rhinos in the Super League. Super League Champions after finishing 5th two seasons in a row and they always have there first choice 17 on the field in the Final.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#6 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'd love us to win the GF as underdogs, it's so painful to lose it when you are strong favourites.

#7 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Anything. When you think of all the clubs who never win a thing or even get to a final I reckon any trophy is worth applauding. Obviously the club that wins a particular trophy will say that's the best. It's human nature.

#8 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

True James a lot of teams like York and Hunslet would be happy just to get to the semi-finals.

#9 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Been there in the past Spanish Knight. Just keep supporting and eventually the wheel will turn.
I remember Hunslet being a real power in RL, with great players.

#10 Cantona

Cantona
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

I'd love us to win the GF as underdogs, it's so painful to lose it when you are strong favourites.

Fev will rightly win the league but will they burn their players out doing it ? , hopefully we Leythers have learned from last year and accept our possible top 4 place and rest our key players for the play offs unlike last season when we were on our back and barely able to raise a team through injuries and dual reg players not qualified for our home semi against the Seagulls . If we play it right we could go one better in a one off game at home in the final .

The NRC is a mere distraction mid-season and a bit of a lottery in one off games and should be treated as such , but saying that it's a bit of fun for us fans .

So for me winning the Grand Final is the number 1 aim for us .

Edited by Cantona, 01 April 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#11 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

There is one other achievement that comes without a trophy, and that is to beat a Super League side in the Challenge Cup. Rovers' victory over Cas and the performance they put in against Wigan was the highlight of last season for me, and I think it may be the reason gates have increased yet again, even though they lost 2 finals and prices have gone up. But the chance to do well in the Cup doesn't come around every year, they might get drawn away to Saints again, and it's game over before it starts. A home draw against one of the SL strugglers would suit us fine!
So for me it would be:
1. GF victory, but only because it carries the prestige and prize money.
2. NRC cup victory, but only because we haven't won it yet!
3. Beat a Super League side.
4. Win league, but only because it doesn't carry the prestige it should.

#12 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

For me, a Fax fan, Winning a Final is by far the most important to me, To be honest The GF is the most important. Its a culmination of a full seasons results, plus play offs and is far more tactical as far as the coach is concerned, Who does he rest for them etc.....After this its the NRC final, Not going to mean as much this season for me with us only coming into it after 4 of the lower league teams get put with us. Then it would be the challenge cup, how far we get in that and then the league leaders sheild. The only reason that i feel like that is due to the bonus point ######, a team that has lost say 4 games but got bonus points and a team who only lose 2 games all year, it shouldn't be the one who lost 4 taking the trophy. If it was just 2 points for the win and nothing for losing then the league leaders shield would be second on my list.

#13 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'm all for most of the comments and really thought we did well in the Challenge cup. But at what price? we got shellacked in two games after the harduous cup games and gave Sheffield and Halifax a bit of leeway. It does seem this season we are staggering the team selection so that players don't get over taxed and that might be a good thing in the end.

#14 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

As a York fan can only comment about events over last few years, unless I go back to 84' Challenge Cup semi vs Wigan..... Oh yes those memories...........

More recently as the Knights........

Winning league and straight promotion in 2005 was great (especially winning the league at our away game at Hunslet)

however,

winning the GF play off at Warrington vs Oldham was somehow more special to me.

Answer: winning anything has to be good for any club

Edited by ANDYPK, 04 April 2013 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Edited by Eagletarian, 05 April 2013 - 12:34 AM.

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#16 Cantona

Cantona
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

I'm all for most of the comments and really thought we did well in the Challenge cup. But at what price? we got shellacked in two games after the harduous cup games and gave Sheffield and Halifax a bit of leeway. It does seem this season we are staggering the team selection so that players don't get over taxed and that might be a good thing in the end.

The same happened at Leigh last season , we seemed to put everything into our cup run including a hard fought extra time sudden death win over our mates from Fax and a good showing from us for 60 minutes in the Q/F at home v Leeds , but our players took a bit of a battering and it seems like that was the pinnacle of our season because it went all down hill after that leaving us out on our feet with no fit bodies for the play off semi v Sheff .

We should all realise that Championship teams are not meant to win the Challenge Cup and so we should sod that competition and leave it to the SL teams and concentrate on winning whats on offer with a level playing field in our own league until they give us something to play for with P&R .

Well , except Batley who haven't got a level playing field :D

#17 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Maybe it's because it was Cas, but the Challenge Cup win over them did more good than harm, not just for Rovers but for all Championship clubs, likewise Barrow's victory over them, and Fax only losing by a golden point in previous seasons.
I hope that one of us beats a "Not So Super League" club this season, even if it's not Fev. We need to keep on chipping away at the wall of delusion that they put up between the bottom clubs in SL and the top clubs outside it. The use of the word "Super" in the name makes it a laughing stock, especially with the low attendances at London Broncos. The game would be far healthier all round if it was called ERL (E standing for Europe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users