Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos v Bradford moved to Wycombe

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Half the distance of Twickenham to Gillingham?

Oh aye yeh, burger me you guys get shafted around.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Oh aye yeh, burger me you guys get shafted around.

Well, the fans who still go. I suffer vicariously through them.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Yet another game I now can't go too. Geez, I moved to London under the impression I'd have a Rugby team to support. The first two games I can go to are moved miles away.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

. Geez, I moved to London under the impression I'd have a Rugby team to support.

Who told you that???? dont you mean you moved to london because that is the only place you can get a job? :rolleyes:

#25 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

move them to manchester to become manchester borough broncos lol
Chief Crazy Eagle

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,158 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

I'd be pretty annoyed if I was a season ticket holder and I lived in South West London.

#27 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

London Peripatetics maybe?

Maybe, with all their wanderings; but sounds like most of their understandably very hacked-off supporters might instead suggest you really,meant London Verypathetics?

#28 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'd be pretty annoyed if I was a season ticket holder and I lived in South West London.

Why SW London? Season ticket holders cone from all over the South East. I would guess there is only a tiny amount in SWLondon

#29 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

The real reason for the switch is that Harlequins have a Heineken Cup quarter-final at The Stoop that weekend. It seems that the Broncos can be forced to move their fixtures if the pitch is in bad condition. What sort of agreement is that for the Broncos?

#30 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

The real reason for the switch is that Harlequins have a Heineken Cup quarter-final at The Stoop that weekend. It seems that the Broncos can be forced to move their fixtures if the pitch is in bad condition. What sort of agreement is that for the Broncos?

A far worse one that Sale Sharks obviously have

#31 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I imagine a very poor deal and probably based on an understanding of, "Just don't bother us and we'll let you play out the season here - unless you get in the way."
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#32 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Crikey, it's a few miles shy of Bradford playing a home game at Salford...

To be fair London is a city/region anyway, so it's really just moving to the other edge of the region for a game - not sure why they couldn't use that other ground over the road from the Stoop though..I mean, not much seems to go on there...
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#33 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

First off I would like to apologise to any Bradford Fans who have paid good money in travel and accomodation to come down for a Friday night match. Even if my club does not.see fit to do so.
It is one thing to change a venue at short notice it is another thing to change date, time and venue at such short notice.

I am a season ticket holder and live in West Kent and yes I am very cross that I now have a game that I cannot attend as I have other arrangements for Saturday evening. The one man committee at London Broncos should be aware that the rest of us also have more than one sporting activity and arrange our diary commitments based on the dates that are given by his club.
I was at Wycombe yesterday, and indeed it is a decent enough stadium. The problem is of course it is in an industrial estate on the outskirts of the town. Wasps provide a free bus from the station to the stadium but as access to the ground is cramped. Yesterday the game ended at 4.35pm and I got to High Wycome Train station by bus at 5.50pm. This also gives you a rough idea of how long it is to walk from Adams park which is a good 2.5 miles from the station up and down hill. Parking is in the road of the industrial estate and costs £ 5 to £ 10 and there is a sign that says it can take up to 45 minutes to exit post game, though I should qualify this by saying Wasps get crowds of beyween 7-8,000 and you will be lucky to see a quarter of that crowd Saturday so your exit should be much quicker. Cash strapped Broncos will not be running a subsidised bus from High Wycombe which is outside the London area and cost me as a Gold Card holder £ 6.80 return from Zone 6 to High Wycombe from London Marylebone. It will cost you more in most cases.
Wasps have been desperate to leave Adams Park for ages which is why they are now partners with Brentford FC in the Lionel Road development which puts the Wasps club back near its original home in sudbury.

In defence of Harlequins RU. There were two inspections of that pitch on Staturday. The second being at 1.00pm before they opened the gates . At the time I supported the decision to go aheads with the game for the benefit of the fans who had travelled a long distrance to get to the Stoop. But as with all decisioin that are made on the basis of "playable" versus "fit to play" in hindsight this may not have been the best move as it did churn up the pitch and the biggest game of our landlords season is on 7th April. It's not as if when we were the tenants of Charlton Athletic or Brentford that the club was not similarily told to play elsewhere by their landlords is it ?
As for the rental agreement, this is a one year deal signed in haste after the Broncos trashed Harlequins and the surrounding area towards the end of last season. It may well be on a match by match basis and given that our benefactor loses £ 2 million per season (Source Wakefield chairman 40-20). i suspect the low crowds this year have pushed the scale of his losses towards £ 2.5 million so getting some rebate on the alleged 250K deal with Quins would help cut our benefactors costs, along of course with part of Bradford's SKY money.
And to continue on this dark conspiratorial theme, it does appear that the Club wants to get this season over with with indecent haste. Leeds do not mind a fixture backlog and I feel once we have exited the Challenge Cup there will be a few blank weekends, in addition I doubt as with Catalans that London would have to compensate them for travelling costs. So the home season will finiish in mid-august against Huddersfield.
Perhaps someone at the club knows that there will be an announcement about the club's future in July... Just a thought.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#34 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

What if you were a ST holder that lived in Bucks? Im pretty pleased about it. Will be taking a load of mates too.

#35 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yet another game I now can't go too. Geez, I moved to London under the impression I'd have a Rugby team to support. The first two games I can go to are moved miles away.

If you were really an Aussie London to Wycombe would be a short stroll. You must be a fake.

#36 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Think this might all be a blessing in disguise - it's knocking off some venues that some may have thought plausible for the future at least, and hopefully concentrating some minds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users