Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs - match discussion and 'banter' here

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

I can only add to the downcast feelings, out of form and players I can only see this game going one way. Rams 14 - Dogs 40
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#62 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

...most batley fans are smart enough to pass the driving test so we have cars to get around. And finaly as its not a school nite we can stop up until 9.30...

If most Batley fans are smart and can drive, how come they cannot spell, don't know when to use a capital letter and are still at school then?

My prediction for this evening:

Dewsbury 10 - 30 Batley

Att: 1210

Edited by Crown Flatter, 01 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

#63 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Having looked at the league table after tonight there could be an 8 point gap between 5&6. The season feels as if it has just started and already there is a large gap. I think most people would have put those 5 in the top 5 but maybe not for them to pull away so quickly.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#64 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

My prediction for this evening:

Dewsbury 10 - 30 Batley

Att: 1210

Close call. Do you know tomorrow's Lottery numbers?!!

#65 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well the result wasn't as bad as expected, but we have all the same weaknesses week after week.

Lack of weight in the pack on attack and defence. Moving up in defence too slowly.Poor kicking game. Letting the opposition play the ball too quickly and letting them get a roll on. Weak bench. Neither Aizue or Gallagher can play long enough to be useful, which means the rest have to work harder for longer and then they tire twoards the end. At the end of the match, Batley were playing the ball too fast and made lots of easy yards. Inexperience towards the end with Tebb trying to drive over on the 6th tackle and then Brown trying to chip through rather than punt it downfield, which gave Batley the position to score the try to deny us a bonus point. Scoring 12 points and then conceding 30 or more points unanswered again for the 4th match on the trot. Pryce started well, looked interested and then drifted out of the game. Hard one for GM, guess if he drops him, he'll leave and do we have anyone better? Pryce at 30% is still better than many, but why he doesnt do some field kicks like he did against Fev is a mystery. Batley bombed a couple of tries, so the score could have been worse.

You cannot fault the players efforts, they bust a gut tonight but the weaknesses are there. Brad Wilkinson looked a good player, hopefully his injury isn't too bad.

But overall this is starting to look like 2009 all over again and other teams will be pencilling us in for a win now. GM somehow has to stop the rot very quickly or we will become relegation candidates.

#66 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Pryce at 30% is still better than many,

midday is the last opportunity for april 1st fun :huh:

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#67 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

How many times did Pryce touch the ball during the entire 80 minutes? I would venture half a dozen (and I am being serious).
Compare with Greenwood, Potts and Campbell.

#68 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Dewsbury are only 3 points from the bottom of the league! After the first ten minutes the rams never looked a threat and if it wasnt for Hewers meddling the dogs would have made 40. TTFN :)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#69 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Karl Pryce isn't the reason we are losing so badly, GM must be more frustrated than anyone, but unless you have someone better to bring in, then he has to pick him. Is Tommy Gallgher earning his money? He's not fit enough to play long enough and neither is Aizue, but yes Pryce should be outstanding at this level, but we have a lot of other shortcomings in the team.

#70 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Karl Pryce isn't the reason we are losing so badly, GM must be more frustrated than anyone, but unless you have someone better to bring in, then he has to pick him. Is Tommy Gallgher earning his money? He's not fit enough to play long enough and neither is Aizue, but yes Pryce should be outstanding at this level, but we have a lot of other shortcomings in the team.

What about Callan Beckett, or call Elliot Cosgrove back from his loan. I haven't got a good word to say about Karl Pryce he's been a joke of a signing and the quicker he gets dropped the better.

#71 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

As I said on our forum, he's stealing a wage based on tonight's performance.

Liked your full-back though - he looks pretty decent.

#72 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

The view from afar remains an issue of fitness. Getting ahead and running out of steam seems a recurring theme?
Of course there will always be individuals who play ahead of better options.

#73 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

What about Callan Beckett, or call Elliot Cosgrove back from his loan. I haven't got a good word to say about Karl Pryce he's been a joke of a signing and the quicker he gets dropped the better.

In Karl's defence he was better yesterday than what he usually is. He has been a joke though I'll give you credit for that
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#74 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Kelsey the bulldog.

If he was better yesterday he must have been really bad before!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#75 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Kelsey the bulldog.

If he was better yesterday he must have been really bad before!

He was, trusty me.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#76 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Just for the record Eddie, how many of KP's games have you seen this season?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#77 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Overall, despite being disappointed with the score, I was reasonably pleased with our performance last night and am quite confident that we will pick up plenty of points to lodge ourselves in the boring "safe but no threat to the leaders" zone. This would be an improvement on previous seasons.

I thought the effort, spirit and application was very good and couldn't be criticised. The pack could have been more effective but consider who we still have missing and the fact that these players were the only ones who were fit to play - and some of them weren't 100%. We aren't fit enough though, and this has shown in every match in my opinion - we have started every game well and fallen off in the last 20 minutes, so this should be a real concern; whatever some may believe young players actually have less genuine stamina than older ones, and again this shows. Some players (including certain crowd favourites who are immune from criticism on this forum) made mistakes, one or two of which were critical, but this will always happen especially with a young side. There was, however, a unity in the side and a feeling of team spirit that I feel has been missing earlier - this has to be good.

We are regularly losing out at the ptb defence. Batley were effective at slowing this down considerably allowing their defence to get set (thanks to lenient refereeing) whereas we were allowing them quick plays which regularly caught out our slow line defence. This has been a feature of all of our games so far.

Overall Batley deserved to win I suppose. Many Rams fans were upset with the referee's performance, especially the crucial mistake that he made in the lead-up to their first try, but I would guess that a neutral would conclude that he was good and bad for both sides. We aren't as good as some hoped we were after the first few games but we certainly aren't as bad as some doomsayers would have the rest of us believe either. It will be an interesting season.

Finally, the one really major disappointment was the gate which was 400 below expectations. This can be put down to a number of factors, including the weather, but I personally believe it is a part of a worrying and growing feature of life at our level; this can be seen from all of the attendances in the Championship this weekend. Quite simply money is tight. Going to a match is a part of discretionary expenditure that many are unwilling or unable to afford and I can't see any signs of an improvement in this situation in the short-term, sadly.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#78 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Overall, despite being disappointed with the score, I was reasonably pleased with our performance last night and am quite confident that we will pick up plenty of points to lodge ourselves in the boring "safe but no threat to the leaders" zone. This would be an improvement on previous seasons.

I thought the effort, spirit and application was very good and couldn't be criticised. The pack could have been more effective but consider who we still have missing and the fact that these players were the only ones who were fit to play - and some of them weren't 100%. We aren't fit enough though, and this has shown in every match in my opinion - we have started every game well and fallen off in the last 20 minutes, so this should be a real concern; whatever some may believe young players actually have less genuine stamina than older ones, and again this shows. Some players (including certain crowd favourites who are immune from criticism on this forum) made mistakes, one or two of which were critical, but this will always happen especially with a young side. There was, however, a unity in the side and a feeling of team spirit that I feel has been missing earlier - this has to be good.

We are regularly losing out at the ptb defence. Batley were effective at slowing this down considerably allowing their defence to get set (thanks to lenient refereeing) whereas we were allowing them quick plays which regularly caught out our slow line defence. This has been a feature of all of our games so far.

Overall Batley deserved to win I suppose. Many Rams fans were upset with the referee's performance, especially the crucial mistake that he made in the lead-up to their first try, but I would guess that a neutral would conclude that he was good and bad for both sides. We aren't as good as some hoped we were after the first few games but we certainly aren't as bad as some doomsayers would have the rest of us believe either. It will be an interesting season.

Finally, the one really major disappointment was the gate which was 400 below expectations. This can be put down to a number of factors, including the weather, but I personally believe it is a part of a worrying and growing feature of life at our level; this can be seen from all of the attendances in the Championship this weekend. Quite simply money is tight. Going to a match is a part of discretionary expenditure that many are unwilling or unable to afford and I can't see any signs of an improvement in this situation in the short-term, sadly.

Go with that Batleys got a settled outfit.We had wright,hepworth, coleman.Jones missing.Not a bad display really.

#79 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

I was impressed with Brown and Morton, but agree the short spells Aizue and Gallagher give is not enough.

#80 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Go with that Batleys got a settled outfit.We had wright,hepworth, coleman.Jones missing.Not a bad display really.

And we had Moore, Applegarth, Maun, Johnson and no DR's available ?????????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users