Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs - match discussion and 'banter' here

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

And Paul Mennell out with a minor knock.

#82 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

And we had Moore, Applegarth, Maun, Johnson and no DR's available ?????????????

How many d/rs did we have?????????//

#83 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Don't know whats Goulding and Walshaw, loan players ?

#84 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

What about Callan Beckett, or call Elliot Cosgrove back from his loan. I haven't got a good word to say about Karl Pryce he's been a joke of a signing and the quicker he gets dropped the better.

Don't really think either of them would strengthen the team - I thought Beckett looked out of his depth when he played earlier in the season - GM obviously feels the same. Of GM's "kids" only Brown and Lillycrop have looked the real deal IMO, and although I hope I'm wrong, I can't see the others improving much. I reckon we will look a far better side when we get the DR's back, so need to panic yet.

#85 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

I would expect the Rams to be too good to get mixed up in the relegation scrap, but it ain't half tight down there at the moment! Dewsbury need to find the form from the begining of the season and start to build a team and hang on to the likes of Brown and Lillycrop. Relegation would not be good for either HW team (or Coolie's diet)!

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#86 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Overall, despite being disappointed with the score, I was reasonably pleased with our performance last night and am quite confident that we will pick up plenty of points to lodge ourselves in the boring "safe but no threat to the leaders" zone. This would be an improvement on previous seasons.

I thought the effort, spirit and application was very good and couldn't be criticised. The pack could have been more effective but consider who we still have missing and the fact that these players were the only ones who were fit to play - and some of them weren't 100%. We aren't fit enough though, and this has shown in every match in my opinion - we have started every game well and fallen off in the last 20 minutes, so this should be a real concern; whatever some may believe young players actually have less genuine stamina than older ones, and again this shows. Some players (including certain crowd favourites who are immune from criticism on this forum) made mistakes, one or two of which were critical, but this will always happen especially with a young side. There was, however, a unity in the side and a feeling of team spirit that I feel has been missing earlier - this has to be good.

We are regularly losing out at the ptb defence. Batley were effective at slowing this down considerably allowing their defence to get set (thanks to lenient refereeing) whereas we were allowing them quick plays which regularly caught out our slow line defence. This has been a feature of all of our games so far.

Overall Batley deserved to win I suppose. Many Rams fans were upset with the referee's performance, especially the crucial mistake that he made in the lead-up to their first try, but I would guess that a neutral would conclude that he was good and bad for both sides. We aren't as good as some hoped we were after the first few games but we certainly aren't as bad as some doomsayers would have the rest of us believe either. It will be an interesting season.

Finally, the one really major disappointment was the gate which was 400 below expectations. This can be put down to a number of factors, including the weather, but I personally believe it is a part of a worrying and growing feature of life at our level; this can be seen from all of the attendances in the Championship this weekend. Quite simply money is tight. Going to a match is a part of discretionary expenditure that many are unwilling or unable to afford and I can't see any signs of an improvement in this situation in the short-term, sadly.

Or possibly the kick off time might have had an influence ? At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if the kick off time been an afternoon one, I could have gone and would have taken the three family members who only show their allegiance at the dogs/rams slugathons. After refreshments that would have have swelled the club coffers by seventy quid or so. I can understand why that time was chosen as part of a double header, but I'm certain there would have been many others in my position and therefore unable to attend.

#87 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Piggy we go down....

im joining the ozzy in taking time out.
its getting harder & harder to raise the excitement levels.
its more of a social gathering to see BSJ,crokwn flatter,wilsden ram & eddie rombo ,barry,roger & roy...all fans & Dewsbury to the cor...

but...

im finding it difficult at the moment
season after season same sh#t a different year
this must be our 5th season of c.rap on the bounce...just when you feel things are gonna change it flatlines again.
im disillusioned with the entire game of rugby
how its run,how the game is seen...and its rubbish in a lot of quarters owt outsidecumbria yorkshire lancs & cheshire is a waste of time.
a little sport trying to be big...product is great and only will be great to the heartland clubs,forget everywhere else.
yesterday the club couldnt get a sponser for the match,either somebody aint doing their job correctly from the comfort zone or we should pack up if we cant sell one of 13 games to the public specially a dewsbury v batley no sponser is pathetic in reality.

i struggle with the fact we have so much off the field to raise money,yet play second fiddle to batley on the field...i dread to think where the dogs would be with the function rooms, bars.carboot.

i think a lot of folk are feeling the same at the moment...

sorry for the rant but flustration is a horrible thing....

just ask mrs piggys mate ;)

#88 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Some good points Coolie.

The problem is bigger than a couple of northern towns unable to find a local to throw £200 at a game. The problems are top down, the RFL are bent.
Until the administration and refereeing are brought to account over some of the inconsistent and often baffling decisions they make then RL will hinder itself. Additionally clubs must embrace change, fans need to recognise this.
But whilst the RFL let local clubs struggle, have the amateur game fighting to survive and then throw millions at a team in Wales that was guarenteed to fail, then it's only a matter of time before things dry up completely and were left with just the Superleague and though I have doubted this in the past, I'm not entirely convinced the RFL don't think that would be the ideal way forward. At least in a professional capacity.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 02 April 2013 - 07:12 PM.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#89 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I dread to think where the dogs would be with the function rooms, bars.carboot.

Superdooper league mate! Can you imagine I wud be worse than the fev fans put together. In fact I'd be so far up my own ###### I'd be unbearable rather than the nice affable bulldogs fan I am at the mo ;)

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#90 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Piggy weve grown up and pizzed in the same pot all our lives,i never would have thought i would have heard the term "shawcross madhatters" on 2 days running lol...i only used the term a day before you when talking about frog podder & al ryler...funny old world aint it lol

weve feet on the ground and even you couldnt emulate a featherstones fans manners lol

well done to the dogs on a little team doing BIG !!!
;)

#91 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

Piggys mate -worse than Fev fans put together!,!!!!?????? It doesn't bear thinking.

#92 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Some good points Coolie.

The problem is bigger than a couple of northern towns unable to find a local to throw £200 at a game. The problems are top down, the RFL are bent.
Until the administration and refereeing are brought to account over some of the inconsistent and often baffling decisions they make then RL will hinder itself. Additionally clubs must embrace change, fans need to recognise this.
But whilst the RFL let local clubs struggle, have the amateur game fighting to survive and then throw millions at a team in Wales that was guarenteed to fail, then it's only a matter of time before things dry up completely and were left with just the Superleague and though I have doubted this in the past, I'm not entirely convinced the RFL don't think that would be the ideal way forward. At least in a professional capacity.

I'm surprised at you FF - you've always claimed an intellectual bent. Blaming the RFL for the woes of Championship clubs is really a lazy cop-out, usually reserved for those who view the past "success" of such clubs through rose-tinted glasses. A fairly simple study of the history of clubs such as ours will reveal that we have always struggled for adequate attendances when measured against the norms of the time.

I might not agree with the outcome of the RFL's attempt to expand in Wales etc but couldn't criticise their motives. If we do really want to circle the wagons around a northern enclave then that would simply guarantee the death of the sport that we love. On another medium there has been a reference to the Championship as the old man's league and, looking around at crowds in general I can see where that is coming from.

The problems and the reasons of the game at our level are complex, as are the possible solutions and a tendency towards simplistic analysis doesn't help anyone.

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Blind side johnny, 03 April 2013 - 08:24 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#93 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Overall, despite being disappointed with the score, I was reasonably pleased with our performance last night and am quite confident that we will pick up plenty of points to lodge ourselves in the boring "safe but no threat to the leaders" zone. This would be an improvement on previous seasons.

I thought the effort, spirit and application was very good and couldn't be criticised. The pack could have been more effective but consider who we still have missing and the fact that these players were the only ones who were fit to play - and some of them weren't 100%. We aren't fit enough though, and this has shown in every match in my opinion - we have started every game well and fallen off in the last 20 minutes, so this should be a real concern; whatever some may believe young players actually have less genuine stamina than older ones, and again this shows. Some players (including certain crowd favourites who are immune from criticism on this forum) made mistakes, one or two of which were critical, but this will always happen especially with a young side. There was, however, a unity in the side and a feeling of team spirit that I feel has been missing earlier - this has to be good.

We are regularly losing out at the ptb defence. Batley were effective at slowing this down considerably allowing their defence to get set (thanks to lenient refereeing) whereas we were allowing them quick plays which regularly caught out our slow line defence. This has been a feature of all of our games so far.

Overall Batley deserved to win I suppose. Many Rams fans were upset with the referee's performance, especially the crucial mistake that he made in the lead-up to their first try, but I would guess that a neutral would conclude that he was good and bad for both sides. We aren't as good as some hoped we were after the first few games but we certainly aren't as bad as some doomsayers would have the rest of us believe either. It will be an interesting season.

Finally, the one really major disappointment was the gate which was 400 below expectations. This can be put down to a number of factors, including the weather, but I personally believe it is a part of a worrying and growing feature of life at our level; this can be seen from all of the attendances in the Championship this weekend. Quite simply money is tight. Going to a match is a part of discretionary expenditure that many are unwilling or unable to afford and I can't see any signs of an improvement in this situation in the short-term, sadly.

Couldn't make the match BSJ, but as ever your report appears very balanced. However I'm quickly loosing any confidence I had earlier about missing the drp. We just aren't picking up enough bonus points and with everyone beating anyone at the mo I believe this wil be costly. Once we get a couple of players back things might pick up, but our second half performances have been woeful from the start and I don't believe we will progress until we sort this out. Massive match at York coming up. Three points here and we are back on track, but who'd put money on this after their win over Fev and theor other recent results ? If we don't start picking up points soon we will be in trouble, though I do still think we will perform better when the pitches dry up. How did Austin do by the way and was his captaincy an improvement on the previous encumbents ?

#94 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Couldn't make the match BSJ, but as ever your report appears very balanced. However I'm quickly loosing any confidence I had earlier about missing the drp. We just aren't picking up enough bonus points and with everyone beating anyone at the mo I believe this wil be costly. Once we get a couple of players back things might pick up, but our second half performances have been woeful from the start and I don't believe we will progress until we sort this out. Massive match at York coming up. Three points here and we are back on track, but who'd put money on this after their win over Fev and theor other recent results ? If we don't start picking up points soon we will be in trouble, though I do still think we will perform better when the pitches dry up. How did Austin do by the way and was his captaincy an improvement on the previous encumbents ?

The problem is that everybody else also appear to think they'll improve when the pitches dry up. Austin is still probably our quickest player, and there is not a great deal of pace in the rest of the team to rely on.

#95 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm surprised at you FF - you've always claimed an intellectual bent. Blaming the RFL for the woes of Championship clubs is really a lazy cop-out, usually reserved for those who view the past "success" of such clubs through rose-tinted glasses. A fairly simple study of the history of clubs such as ours will reveal that we have always struggled for adequate attendances when measured against the norms of the time.

I might not agree with the outcome of the RFL's attempt to expand in Wales etc but couldn't criticise their motives. If we do really want to circle the wagons around a northern enclave then that would simply guarantee the death of the sport that we love. On another medium there has been a reference to the Championship as the old man's league and, looking around at crowds in general I can see where that is coming from.

The problems and the reasons of the game at our level are complex, as are the possible solutions and a tendency towards simplistic analysis doesn't help anyone.

Onwards and upwards!

I don't criticise the motives either BSJ, they were actually quite laudable. But the RFL was not financially in a position to take such a risk, and to do so considering the state of the remainder of the clubs was reckless.
No doubt expansion is crucial, but in a controlled manner and when time allows. For instance look at Catalans, when they first started it was just a mish mash of Aussie players past their sell by date (except for the great Stacey Jones) but now it is a hot bed of French talent - Still not wholly French, but getting there and for an increasing number of away fans a welcome addition to the fixtures calendar.

London is struggling, but I am told on a wider local scale things are good, Salford is struggling (for now) but those are two teams in major cities in the UK. The RFL determined that rather than nurture and build on what we already have they would continue the force of expansion and (I suspect) based on the back of the Millenium Weekend took the game to Wales. It failed massively.

A few years ago I suggested that Championship clubs should be like the acadamy teams of Superleague teams, but without binding connections. Not every player aspires to play in the big league for example, but grass roots is where it starts. And whilst the RFL continue to throw money at the big teams and whilst players bypass the Championship we will always be left struggling.
Imagine for example if a natural progression was amateur, semi pro, pro - which makes sense, but its not. It amateur, academy, pro for most players and that leaves our league being bypassed by all the real talent.
And when talent is what wins games, and wins are what get people on seats then you can start to see why a top down approach is only good for those at the top.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 03 April 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#96 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Well I agree with pretty everything that you say there FF, and the big clubs have always looked after themselves first (except when they needed help from others to bail them out) ever since the Northern Union was formed. I also recall an infamous club President of Dewsbury announcing that the good times were going to roll and that we had no more need to go chasing junior players: the best players would come to us. Now how many years ago was that?

Just one point though (well, two actually) - the RFL is run by the big clubs/SL ever since the clubs voted for the new structure years ago; and the RFL don't "throw money" at the big teams, Sky does.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#97 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

No different on sunday from when Jowitt was here. Come back Warren!!!!! :rolleyes:

#98 leedsram

leedsram
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

No different on sunday from when Jowitt was here. Come back Warren!!!!! :rolleyes:

and he dropped craven like jowit did for having 1 bad game

Edited by leedsram, 04 April 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#99 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

and he dropped craven like jowit did for having 1 bad game

Do you think Craven has been playing well so far this season?

I reckon Morton played well on Sunday and was moved to make room for Austin in the 3/4's, which made sense.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 04 April 2013 - 05:49 PM.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#100 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Do you think Craven has been playing well so far this season?

I reckon Morton played well on Sunday and was moved to make room for Austin in the 3/4's, which made sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users