TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McNamara please read this.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

http://www.dailytele...0-1226609533640

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

and then if you could pass it on to Adam Pearson.... B) :(

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/storm-five-eighth-gareth-widdop-shows-hes-at-his-peak/story-e6frexp0-1226609533640

I'm afraid he(McNamara) seems to be sticking on a sinfield, chase combination. To anybody else a top class English standoff plying his trade with the NRL's #1 side playing for England at 6 is a no-brainer as the Americans say.

#4 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

I'm afraid he(McNamara) seems to be sticking on a sinfield, chase combination. To anybody else a top class English standoff plying his trade with the NRL's #1 side playing for England at 6 is a no-brainer as the Americans say.

Absolutely ridiculous. Oh yes, I know, lets play someone who is currently playing for the team at the bottom of Super League who isn't actually English over someone playing for the team at the top of the NRL who is English. Have you ever heard/seen anything so idiotic.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Absolutely ridiculous. Oh yes, I know, lets play someone who is currently playing for the team at the bottom of Super League who isn't actually English over someone playing for the team at the top of the NRL who is English. Have you ever heard/seen anything so idiotic.

How about playing chase at 7 and sinfield at 6, can't get any more idiotic than that playing people out of postion and at international level.

Edited by walter sobchak, 31 March 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

widdops time will come after the world cup when sinfield retires from internationals

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

widdops time will come after the world cup when sinfield retires from internationals

Widdops time is here and now, he's 22 or 23 years old and playing his best rugby of his short career. How hard is it to work out and play people in their own and best positions at international level? widdop at 6 and sinfield at 13, there has to be a reason why NZ don't play loose forward Jeremy smith at 6 or Australia don't play Paul gallen at standoff.

#8 Hodgo

Hodgo
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

But surely that's becaus Smith and Gallen never play stand off for their clubs whereas Sinfield has played stand off pretty much every week for Leeds for the last couple of seasons? Isn't McNamara playing Sinfield 'in' position rather than out of position on this basis? Saying that, I'd still pick Widdop at stand off!

#9 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

There's an article by Phil "Gus" Gould in the Sydney Morning Herald about South Sydney that McNamara should be reading - clicking on the article in Gould's Twitter account is a way of circumventing the newspaper's paywall.

Gould - an acerbic critic of English rugby league - waxes lyrical about the great English forwards to have starred for Australian clubs down the years and concludes by saying that Sam Burgess is on track to top Malcolm Reilly as the best he has seen... but he also praises George Burgess in a passage that begins with a "wow!" and ends by calling him a "sensation..." Anyone who has seen the younger Burgess' explosive cameo performances for the Rabbitohs will be hoping that he is given a chance later this year to do something similar for his country.

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Widdop at 6, Brough at 7, Sinfield on the bench.

Unfortunately McNamara has backed himself into a corner by announcing Sinfield as the captain. He is going to be compelled to play him regardless of how good others are doing.
Posted Image

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Widdop at 6, Brough at 7, Sinfield on the bench.

Unfortunately McNamara has backed himself into a corner by announcing Sinfield as the captain. He is going to be compelled to play him regardless of how good others are doing.

Totally agree with you that widdop should play at 6 and brough at 7, if you'd put sinfield on the bench who would you play at 13 o'loughlin or even Sam burgess?

#12 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Well and predictably ( I can hear the groans from here) I am grateful to the Sydney Telegraph for highlighting the true worth of Gareth Widdop to the Melbourne side, incidentally: unquestionably the best team in the domestic world of Rugby League too!

I have been arguing the stupidity of the manner in which 'Wellsy4' admirably put's it that; Mac N has backed himself into a corner with his almost declared stance of placing a Sinfield/Chase combination as the favoured ( even selected?) halves for Englands World cup bid.

Widdop is by far the best 'stand off' available to MacN, yet he is adamant, or so it seems, that a player worthy of his place so evidently at Melbourne will only play, if lucky, a supporting role to two inferior players in what is his rightful position.
As someone else also adds this is a "no brainer"!
Clearly evident to most R/L fans and quite probably, other coaches and staff members of most sides, domestic and International, throughout the game also, but not it seems to our National coach!!!!!!!!!!!

Chase: he does not often know what he himself is going to do next, throws the most disgraceful of passes and his defence is also quite suspect.

Sinfield: great clubman in the Leeds set up but he is at best a utility player (bloody hell I've said it now!) who in reality does not have a truly settled position and is not, at the level of rep football, one quarter as effective in what he does domestically. Apologies to those that idolise KS but that is my opinion of how I rate him out of the S/L sphere.

And finally for those that WILL not watch the NRL, do take the trouble to do so and watch as I do all of the English lads over there with relish, you may be surprised at how well they perform, with the coaching and fitness derived from better facilities and presumably coaching also.
Sinfield

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Ive watched a few NRL games in recent weeks and it is exciting to see the development of George Burgess - we could have some real explosive exciting players come the WC barring a ruck of injuries.

#14 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ive watched a few NRL games in recent weeks and it is exciting to see the development of George Burgess - we could have some real explosive exciting players come the WC barring a ruck of injuries.

Precisely Dave, the difference from his Bull's day's and how he is at Souths is quite staggering and possibly adds emphasis to what I believe is one of the differences between S/L methods and those utilised in Oz?

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Precisely Dave, the difference from his Bull's day's and how he is at Souths is quite staggering and possibly adds emphasis to what I believe is one of the differences between S/L methods and those utilised in Oz?

maybe, although he was very young and very early in his career at Bulls.

One of the main differences imho is that the base level of the NRL is higher than SL meaning that there are few easy yards to be made. Saying that ive just seen an easy Titans try v Panthers! Straight from the tap!

#16 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

You could bring up loads of headlines with praising Widdop, he is actually class and McNamara needs to realise this quickly. Widdop is bordering on the top 5 stand offs in the world if not better, whilst realistically Chase and Sinfield wouldn't get in the top 20.

Widdop and Brough is the answer they have a complete game between them, they aren't lacking in any areas. I wouldn't put Sinfield at 13 either as I'd rather go for Sam Burgess there and have another prop in the side. I guess you could have Sinfield on the bench but I'd prefer to have Burrow as he causes problems when he comes on against Aus. Also you can't have less than 3 forwards on the bench at international level or you''ll lose.

#17 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

What most people are ignoring is the unwritten rule that all British and English coaches have gone by in years past. That not only have we to try and end the hoodoo against Australia by beating them but that it doesn't count unless we do it with numerous players playing out of position.

Most don't realise that we are actually way better than the Australians and have been using this as a kind of handicap system for years. I expect Widdop to play Prop or at least Loose Forward depending on how poor this current crop of Australians are.

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

You could bring up loads of headlines with praising Widdop, he is actually class and McNamara needs to realise this quickly. Widdop is bordering on the top 5 stand offs in the world if not better, whilst realistically Chase and Sinfield wouldn't get in the top 20.

Widdop and Brough is the answer they have a complete game between them, they aren't lacking in any areas. I wouldn't put Sinfield at 13 either as I'd rather go for Sam Burgess there and have another prop in the side. I guess you could have Sinfield on the bench but I'd prefer to have Burrow as he causes problems when he comes on against Aus. Also you can't have less than 3 forwards on the bench at international level or you''ll lose.

Playing burgess at 13 as you say frees up a place to have another prop in the 17, I'd personally go with peacock if he comes out of retirement starting if not Crabtree and George burgess as a impact player from the bench.

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

What most people are ignoring is the unwritten rule that all British and English coaches have gone by in years past. That not only have we to try and end the hoodoo against Australia by beating them but that it doesn't count unless we do it with numerous players playing out of position.

Most don't realise that we are actually way better than the Australians and have been using this as a kind of handicap system for years. I expect Widdop to play Prop or at least Loose Forward depending on how poor this current crop of Australians are.

I always remember andy Goodway playing Paul sculthrope at standoff and having Iestyn Harris on the bench against the kiwis.

#20 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'd be tempted to go for a bench of Burrow, Hock Crabtree and George Burgess. Bring them all on after 30 minutes they'd have an absolutely massive impact on a tiring pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users