Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McNamara please read this.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

For the life of me, i cannot figure out why so many of our national coaches are so dumb.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#22 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

For the life of me, i cannot figure out why so many of our national coaches are so dumb.

Could it be that they don't worship at the shrine that is the NRL?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#23 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Could it be that they don't worship at the shrine that is the NRL?

Take the club blinkers off

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Take the club blinkers off

oh dear.We have many posters that assume that the NRL is the be all and end all of Rugby League,it has nothing to do with club loyalties.So we have Widdop at 6 is that seriously enough to beat Australia,no.It's more about the mentallity of our players,not hero worshipping the Aussies,focusing on the game for 80 minutes,not switching off after an hour.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 31 March 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#25 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

You could bring up loads of headlines with praising Widdop, he is actually class and McNamara needs to realise this quickly. Widdop is bordering on the top 5 stand offs in the world if not better, whilst realistically Chase and Sinfield wouldn't get in the top 20.

Widdop and Brough is the answer they have a complete game between them, they aren't lacking in any areas. I wouldn't put Sinfield at 13 either as I'd rather go for Sam Burgess there and have another prop in the side. I guess you could have Sinfield on the bench but I'd prefer to have Burrow as he causes problems when he comes on against Aus. Also you can't have less than 3 forwards on the bench at international level or you''ll lose.

Not sure about Brough, mate. He had a shocker on Friday. On his day, he is brilliant, but ...

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#26 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

oh dear.We have many posters that assume that the NRL is the be all and end all of Rugby League,it has nothing to do with club loyalties.So we have Widdop at 6 is that seriously enough to beat Australia,no.It's more about the mentallity of our players,not hero worshipping the Aussies,focusing on the game for 80 minutes,not switching off after an hour.

I do not assume the NRL is the be all etc...Anyone, who has sky sports and premier sports can see for themselves. The difference in the speed, quality, intensity, execution and skills of the undivduals and teams involved. I am not saying we are guaranteed to win with Widdop and Brough.I am saying they will give us more chance then a Sinfield/Chase combo.

It is irrelavent anyway because Macnamara will pick Sinfiedl/Chase anyway and you will be very happy.

Edited by jacksy, 31 March 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Not sure about Brough, mate. He had a shocker on Friday. On his day, he is brilliant, but ...

He's one of our few halves who can be brilliant though. And we''re going to have to play brilliant to beat the Aussies. Even though he played badly Friday he's still the same player who Brian McDermott said beat Leeds by himself.

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I do not assume the NRL is the be all etc...Anyone, who has sky sports and premier sports can see for themselves. The difference in the speed, quality, intensity, execution and skills of the undivduals and teams involved. I am not saying we are guaranteed to win with Widdop and Brough.I am saying they will give us more chance then a Sinfield/Chase combo.

And if we don't win with Widdop and Brough,who are the next in line?
I don't think it matters who the half back combination is,until we lose the hero worship mentality and learn to play for 80 minutes,we simply won't beat them regularly.

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

He's one of our few halves who can be brilliant though. And we''re going to have to play brilliant to beat the Aussies. Even though he played badly Friday he's still the same player who Brian McDermott said beat Leeds by himself.

What if selected to play against the Aussies,he has an "Andy Currier" game,what then?

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

It is irrelavent anyway because Macnamara will pick Sinfiedl/Chase anyway and you will be very happy.

And you know that how?

#31 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just a wild guess...anyway, I have said my bit, we shall wait and see.

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Just a wild guess...anyway, I have said my bit, we shall wait and see.

:rolleyes: wrong.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 31 March 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#33 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

If George Burgess continues his current form he'd be starting for me. Graham as the other prop and Sam Burgess at 13.

#34 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

And if we don't win with Widdop and Brough,who are the next in line?
I don't think it matters who the half back combination is,until we lose the hero worship mentality and learn to play for 80 minutes,we simply won't beat them regularly.

I think the fact that Widdop is playing in Australia against the Australians week in week out and rather successfully means he is more likely NOT to have this hero worship mentality you describe!

In all honesty, I'm not too fussed whether Sinfield starts or not. I think he'll do a job wherever you put him. It's Chase I don't agree with playing. He's in shocking form. He doesn't deserve his spot in the slightest. If he could form a partnership with Widdop I'd be happy with that.

I just think that Widdop is the best of all four, and that Brough would be a better balance with him.

Chase wouldn't even feature. I'd have McGuire and Myler over him on current form.
Posted Image

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Has Tom Burgess had a game yet?
And how's Luke doing? He had good reports last year.
Posted Image

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think the fact that Widdop is playing in Australia against the Australians week in week out and rather successfully means he is more likely NOT to have this hero worship mentality you describe!

In all honesty, I'm not too fussed whether Sinfield starts or not. I think he'll do a job wherever you put him. It's Chase I don't agree with playing. He's in shocking form. He doesn't deserve his spot in the slightest. If he could form a partnership with Widdop I'd be happy with that.

I just think that Widdop is the best of all four, and that Brough would be a better balance with him.

Chase wouldn't even feature. I'd have McGuire and Myler over him on current form.

I'm not stating Widdop has the hero worship mentallity,didn't we all hear stories of our players asking Aussie players to sign there boots,it's that we need to get rid of.

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Has Tom Burgess had a game yet?
And how's Luke doing? He had good reports last year.

Luke is currently out with a shoulder injury

#38 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Forget the exiles, what I would pay good money to watch is a trial between Steve Mac's Super League team (and he's spent a few years building up sqad mentality and combinations) and an NRL based team of qualified players. It could only happen very late but would be a guide as to who gels with who.

#39 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

What if selected to play against the Aussies,he has an "Andy Currier" game,what then?

It wouldn't matter that much as we should qualify for the quarters whatever happens in the first game against the Aussies.

#40 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

It wouldn't matter that much as we should qualify for the quarters whatever happens in the first game against the Aussies.

So that's ok then but if Chase had a stinker would it be the usual.Is Danny Brough above criticism?

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 31 March 2013 - 05:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users