Steve McNamara please read this.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

widdops time will come after the world cup when sinfield retires from internationals

Why wait, if the kid is good enough play him.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#42 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think roughyedspud was having a swipe at our selection process rather than suggesting Widdop wasn't ready.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#43 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

since winning the man of steel award chase has been decidedly average, people forget about the likes of richie myler and johnny lomax when talking about an england scrum half both are far far better than chase.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#44 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Precisely Dave, the difference from his Bull's day's and how he is at Souths is quite staggering and possibly adds emphasis to what I believe is one of the differences between S/L methods and those utilised in Oz?

Are you mixing George up with Tom?. George didn't get a game at bulls before he went down under.

#45 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

What if selected to play against the Aussies,he has an "Andy Currier" game,what then?

Sinfields played 32 Test matches and has been out of his depth or had an "Andy Currier" in all but about 3 of them!

#46 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

Widdop partnered by Brough or an ever improving Myler is the glaringly obvious way to go but SM has his pet players and he also has his non favourites in Atkins and Brough, he's a fool.

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

A player who is holding down the stand off spot in the World and NRL championship club side must be a very good choice for England but the competition is the reigning golden boot winner and holds down a stand off spot in the SL champions side and whose team were only narrowly beaten by Melbourne. The number of options at all positions is excellent news and a good problem to have compared to the past few years when we had barely a decent 17 to put on the field.

#48 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

I think roughyedspud was having a swipe at our selection process rather than suggesting Widdop wasn't ready.

yep......widdop is more than ready....but McNamara has spent the last 4 years building a team around the same 1,6,7,9 spine...and number 6 in that spine is kevin sinfield...........like it or lump it...but thats the way it is...

and actually,stats wise....only cam smith,billy slater & greg inglis have out performed kev in internationals since the last world cup.....not alot of people like to hear that but its true...

so like i said....after the world cup,when he retires to prolong is club career,we can hand widdop the number 6 jersey

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#49 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

Personally don't think Sinfield is an international 6. I'd have Brough/Widdop.

Not sure what to do with Sinfield, McNamara has given him a guaranteed starting spot by making him captain but even at 13 u end up losing a forward as he'll play like a half-back. I actually thought his best international was at 9 a few years ago against Aussies.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#50 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

agree with that.....he's a fantastic hooker

OLDHAM RLFC

#51 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

A player who is holding down the stand off spot in the World and NRL championship club side must be a very good choice for England

Wouldn't argue with that, but it would be interesting to see Widdop play regularly for a team that didn't have Slater, Smith and Cronk in it.

#52 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

At the risk of going against the flow here, I have see quite a bit of Widdop and based on last season's form be was well behind Sinfield. When Cronk, Slater and Smith are on form he can look pretty good with an excellent running and short passing game. But to be honest when a couple of them were out and the Storm needed him to step up he was pretty anonymous and not the team's go to player they needed. He is a cracker for sure, but not a shoe-in ahead of others in the SL just because he plays for the world's best club.

#53 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

since winning the man of steel award chase has been decidedly average, people forget about the likes of richie myler and johnny lomax when talking about an england scrum half both are far far better than chase.........

Jonny Lomax isn't even in the squad so obviously McNamara doesn't think much of him, in an international context.

#54 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

i had lomax & widdop down as our post world cup halfback pairing...

hopefully the rumour that st helens have signed josh duggan comes true so jonny can move back to his correct position..

OLDHAM RLFC

#55 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

i had lomax & widdop down as our post world cup halfback pairing...

That wouldn't work as neither is an organiser. Lomax would need to be a creative six allowed to roam without the burden of bossing his team mates. He is too quiet for that.

hopefully the rumour that st helens have signed josh duggan comes true so jonny can move back to his correct position..

:D That was a decidedly naff effort at an April Fool.

#56 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

im 90% sure it is a april fools.......but there might be something in it ??

Edited by roughyedspud, 01 April 2013 - 09:31 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#57 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

agree with that.....he's a fantastic hooker

so what would you do with james roby? one of the top 3 hookers in the world.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#58 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Could a Sinfield/Widdop partnership not work then?
Posted Image

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,440 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Could a Sinfield/Widdop partnership not work then?

yup - must admit this is more likely.
McNamara clearly doesnt think Brough is up to it, but he has selected Widdop for big games before.

#60 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

At the risk of going against the flow here, I have see quite a bit of Widdop and based on last season's form be was well behind Sinfield. When Cronk, Slater and Smith are on form he can look pretty good with an excellent running and short passing game. But to be honest when a couple of them were out and the Storm needed him to step up he was pretty anonymous and not the team's go to player they needed. He is a cracker for sure, but not a shoe-in ahead of others in the SL just because he plays for the world's best club.

on this seasons form he is a thousand miles better than chase, i really despair that anyone on this planet thinks chase is any good. :(

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users