put it out to tender

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Should the rfl put the broncos license out to tender. See whos interested in obtaining and super league license.After all isnt that what franchasing is all about. If a club is failing in american football they move them why dont we look at the same. Is there some one out there who could run this club better maybe even take the team out of london all together. We may get a good offer for them even if it means moving them north.The bolton broncos sounds good with the reebox stadium. The reebox would be agreat addition to super league or may be bordeaux broncos could give france that second team.
Chief Crazy Eagle

#2 From the South

From the South
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

There is no franchising in Super League, it is licensing. Clubs apply for a three-year licence, not for a franchise. Having said that as we have seen with Crusaders it is possible to move a club, and remain in Super League.

#3 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

I think we found out that there were no real alternatives with the Bulls' situation last year.

I't's hardly surprising to be fair, most of the possible, or more likely, contenders would have been aiming for the next proper licensing round for the 2015 season, not now.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

It would be an idea if we had a system of franchising. Even then I'm not sure you'd want the franchise for London taken by a town slap bang in the heartlands. More likely you'd have a system where the franchises were allocated on a regional basis: so many for Yorkshire, a similar number for west of the Pennines, one for London/South East, one for Wales, so many for France, etc.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Whoever said that the London Franchise would be replaced. With all the talk of reducing the number of clubs in Super League, the clubs could decide to go to 13 or even 12 clubs for 2014.

Losing a couple of clubs would fit some peoples agenda nicely.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#6 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Should the rfl put the broncos license out to tender. See whos interested in obtaining and super league license.

All the Superleague clubs have been available at some time or another for rich people to "obtain".

Just recently Salford, Wakefield, Crusaders and Bradford were up for grabs.

Only one attracted the attention of a truly rich owner, so we know the record of big business.

HKR were up for grabs too but that fell through.

The idea that changing from "licensing" to "franchising" will suddenly interest the big bucks merchants IMHO has no logic.

#7 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

All the Superleague clubs have been available at some time or another for rich people to "obtain".

Just recently Salford, Wakefield, Crusaders and Bradford were up for grabs.

Only one attracted the attention of a truly rich owner, so we know the record of big business.

HKR were up for grabs too but that fell through.

The idea that changing from "licensing" to "franchising" will suddenly interest the big bucks merchants IMHO has no logic.

There's an obvious difference between licensing and franchising but IF some big moneyman took over a club like, say London, and then said he wanted to move to somewhere around the M62 [Liverpool, Manchester?] or he'd drop the club, I honestly don't think the authorities would dare say no.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,742 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Where's the Reebox Stadium?
Posted Image

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Where's the Reebox Stadium?

In Whorich.

Edited by deluded pom?, 31 March 2013 - 04:22 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Should the rfl put the broncos license out to tender. See whos interested in obtaining and super league license.After all isnt that what franchasing is all about. If a club is failing in american football they move them why dont we look at the same.

They've moved time and time again. Never did them any good.

I'm struggling to think of a single club that did benefit from a major move.

Is there some one out there who could run this club better maybe even take the team out of london all together. We may get a good offer for them even if it means moving them north.The bolton broncos sounds good with the reebox stadium. The reebox would be agreat addition to super league or may be bordeaux broncos could give france that second team.

Has anyone in Bolton or Bordeaux made enquiries?

Wouldn't it just be easier to give a licence to an actual real team like Leigh or Toulouse?

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

It would be an idea if we had a system of franchising. Even then I'm not sure you'd want the franchise for London taken by a town slap bang in the heartlands. More likely you'd have a system where the franchises were allocated on a regional basis: so many for Yorkshire, a similar number for west of the Pennines, one for London/South East, one for Wales, so many for France, etc.

You'd have to have enough people actually prepared to bid. No point in having a Welsh franchise if nobody bids for it.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

They've moved time and time again. Never did them any good.

I'm struggling to think of a single club that did benefit from a major move.

Has anyone in Bolton or Bordeaux made enquiries?

Wouldn't it just be easier to give a licence to an actual real team like Leigh or Toulouse?

And just move the problem, neither are really fit for SL purpose at the moment.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

Its my opinion that if and when David Hughes decides he's had enough of the Broncos and no would be buyers come along the RFL will take over the running of the club.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

And just move the problem, neither are really fit for SL purpose at the moment.

Maybe not but they are closer than either Broncos or a fictional team.

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Its my opinion that if and when David Hughes decides he's had enough of the Broncos and no would be buyers come along the RFL will take over the running of the club.

What will they use to cover Broncos losses?

The RFL have already ruled this out.

#16 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

What will they use to cover Broncos losses?

The RFL have already ruled this out.

If they was run as a business and not lose money they wouldn't have any losses.
As i have said before and other people have said, Rugby League in this country should be run along the same lines as the Bundesliga in Germany. Easy said than done i know, but that for me remains the blueprint for Rugby League.

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

we need to keep broncos as a viable concern in super league, they have been a guiding light for expansion over the years and have a vibrant and productive academy set up. if they were allowed to go then all the hard work over the years has been wasted.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

It would help if the RFL purchased or co-purchased a London stadium like Lionel Road. Would also give a venue for test matches

#19 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

If they was run as a business and not lose money they wouldn't have any losses.
As i have said before and other people have said, Rugby League in this country should be run along the same lines as the Bundesliga in Germany. Easy said than done i know, but that for me remains the blueprint for Rugby League.

If it was run as a business, it would be closed down. That's where that argument ends.

You can't break even in a professional league with less than 2,000 paying spectators per game. The only possibility would be relegation and even then CC clubs don't often break even either.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

It would help if the RFL purchased or co-purchased a London stadium like Lionel Road. Would also give a venue for test matches

If the RFL had tens of millions sitting around waiting to be invested then lots of things would be possible but they don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users