Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will we ever catch up?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

The attendance at the regular season league game in the Canterbury Bulldogs v Rabbitohs game the other day was over 51,000.
No wonder the NRL attracts the money.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yes. Definitely.

#3 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

The question shouldn't be "Will we ever catch up?" but "How do we catch up?".
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,886 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

So long as RL remains a minority sport over here and a national sport over there, it surely will always be thus.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#5 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

The question shouldn't be "Will we ever catch up?" but "How do we catch up?".

Simple: bring our game up to the NRL standards!

I switched off the Wigan V Widnes match after 15 minutes!! As even by that stage it was rubbish and obviously going to be a disgrace in so far as a game between two pro-sides of a sport was concerned.

Before everyone begins to rant, I also appreciate that you get the one sided matches at times in the NRL, but they are rarely ( if ever) as disparate as so many of our games turn out being.

I also appreciate that the fact that their display was so pathetic V Wigan actually ( must have surely) did inspire the Widnes side to come out and play like trojans against Warrington, but that aspect for myself, emphasises more profoundly still the un-professional attitude of our clubs in games when one side cannot be bothered to even perform the fundementals, let alone aspire to compete.

Although there are; as stated, one sided scorelines in the NRL, they ( the teams that lose,) do still attempt to compete, their defence is almost alway's still trying to be competant at least and, the games are still mostly to a certain degree at least, competitive on the whole.
So until the many of the teams here realise that they do have an obligation to play each game to their best abilities and make each one worthwhile for those willing to attend and pay to watch to watch them, we simply will not ever begin again to command the crowds that we too could once command at most venues and at a greater percentage of the matches being played.

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

The attendance at the regular season league game in the Canterbury Bulldogs v Rabbitohs game the other day was over 51,000.
No wonder the NRL attracts the money.

Don't forget that there are certain factors in that amazing attendance figure:
1. It's a derby/rival game played in Australia's biggest city.
2. It was played at the worldclass arena, the ANZ stadium.
3. It was played over the Easter Holliday period(lots of families off school and work targeted).
4. Sydney is not only a huge city but it's in rugby leagues heartland.
5. We(super league) don't have the star names that the NRL has and the whole media presence that rugby league has in Australia.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Maybe not.

to an extent we need to put that to one side, we need to be the very best we can, invest in youth, sports science, take learnings from every other sport and maximise our chances of getting a 17 out there to beat them.

NZ have had some success recently internationally, but realistically they are nowhere near as good as the Aussies. Keep the focus on the test team and do the best we can.

If thats not good enough to beat the Aussies so be it. Lets not panic everytime we lose and call for widescale changes.

We can only be the best we can.

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Will the NRL ever have the sane world wide popularity of the EPL?

Answer: No

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

On the crowd issue - id like to see a bit more effort from all clubs.

I support Warrington, they seem relatively happy to accept 10-12k gates. We should be pushing 15k capacity every week. We appear happy with our level.

I only really see Wigan do great things marketing wise. Most appear to have found a routine and are sticking to it.

#10 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

To put some perspective 51k was their biggest regular season for nearly 50 years and there are many clubs that aren't far off some Super League clubs. Wigan would have been the 9th best attended NRL club last year and there are only 3 clubs that average higher than 20k. The top 6 SL clubs and the bottom 8 NRL clubs are pretty interchangeable. Canberra's average crowds would only be 7th highest in Super League and Melbourne only average 12,500. However, the point largely still remains about the difference in size especially at their top clubs.

We'll never catch them sadly unless they see a decline. They have far more people playing the game and of a far higher standard. Think of a child in Wigan, Leeds or Widnes. If they are a truly exceptional athlete they will almost always go and play Football. The same is not true of kids in Sydney or Brisbane.

That's not to say we can't beat them in a series or a one off, especially if more British players try their hand over there.

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Maybe not.

to an extent we need to put that to one side, we need to be the very best we can, invest in youth, sports science, take learnings from every other sport and maximise our chances of getting a 17 out there to beat them.

NZ have had some success recently internationally, but realistically they are nowhere near as good as the Aussies. Keep the focus on the test team and do the best we can.

If thats not good enough to beat the Aussies so be it. Lets not panic everytime we lose and call for widescale changes.

We can only be the best we can.

That is so so so so so so wrong!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Its LESSONS!!!

learnings is US management-speak!!

..and breathe.... :)

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Simple: bring our game up to the NRL standards!

I switched off the Wigan V Widnes match after 15 minutes!! As even by that stage it was rubbish and obviously going to be a disgrace in so far as a game between two pro-sides of a sport was concerned.

Before everyone begins to rant, I also appreciate that you get the one sided matches at times in the NRL, but they are rarely ( if ever) as disparate as so many of our games turn out being.

I also appreciate that the fact that their display was so pathetic V Wigan actually ( must have surely) did inspire the Widnes side to come out and play like trojans against Warrington, but that aspect for myself, emphasises more profoundly still the un-professional attitude of our clubs in games when one side cannot be bothered to even perform the fundementals, let alone aspire to compete.

Although there are; as stated, one sided scorelines in the NRL, they ( the teams that lose,) do still attempt to compete, their defence is almost alway's still trying to be competant at least and, the games are still mostly to a certain degree at least, competitive on the whole.
So until the many of the teams here realise that they do have an obligation to play each game to their best abilities and make each one worthwhile for those willing to attend and pay to watch to watch them, we simply will not ever begin again to command the crowds that we too could once command at most venues and at a greater percentage of the matches being played.

So we bring the game "up" to NRL standard but the game is still seen as a parochial northern sport,without better media coverage we are never going to attract huge crowds.
Rugby League will never be the number one sport in the UK as it is in Australia,soccer is king.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#13 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

On the crowd issue - id like to see a bit more effort from all clubs.

I support Warrington, they seem relatively happy to accept 10-12k gates. We should be pushing 15k capacity every week. We appear happy with our level.

I only really see Wigan do great things marketing wise. Most appear to have found a routine and are sticking to it.

Completely agree with this. Warrington don't seem to be making any real effort in attracting casual supporters. I used to be a season ticket holder, but due to family and financial commitments, I haven't had a season ticket for a few years. I know if I wanted to take my family with me to a one off game, it would be a very expensive undertaking, and this usually puts me off.

#14 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

To put some perspective 51k was their biggest regular season for nearly 50 years

It was the biggest regular season crowd for 50 years in Sydney. Brisbane had bigger crowds back in the 90s.

#15 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

So we bring the game "up" to NRL standard but the game is still seen as a parochial northern sport,without better media coverage we are never going to attract huge crowds.
Rugby League will never be the number one sport in the UK as it is in Australia,soccer is king.

Is the right and logical answer.

Wishing and hoping, planning and dreaming...we have a snowball in hell's chance of overtaking soccer as no. one sport in the Uk, and that is the only way to get crowds like 50K plus for matches.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#16 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

It was the biggest regular season crowd for 50 years in Sydney. Brisbane had bigger crowds back in the 90s.

When he says their biggest I assume he means the Bulldogs not the NRL.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

We'll never catch them sadly unless they see a decline. They have far more people playing the game and of a far higher standard. Think of a child in Wigan, Leeds or Widnes. If they are a truly exceptional athlete they will almost always go and play Football.

I understand your rationale but you're assuming every talented athlete out there is good enough to be able to pick and choose which sport they want to play professionally. Not every kid good at soccer would make the grade as a RL player and vice versa. I bet most kids wouldn't even entertain RL given the choice because it's too tough for them.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Before the extension of Old Trafford, Brisbane had a season average higher than Manchester United's.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

So long as RL remains a minority sport over here and a national sport over there, it surely will always be thus.

Try telling that to the people of Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide. RL just happens to be the biggest sport in the biggest city in Australia.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

I understand your rationale but you're assuming every talented athlete out there is good enough to be able to pick and choose which sport they want to play professionally. Not every kid good at soccer would make the grade as a RL player and vice versa. I bet most kids wouldn't even entertain RL given the choice because it's too tough for them.

No not every kid will be good enough or will fancy playing RL. In NSW and Queensland though every kid at some point will get the chance to try RL and if they are good or enjoy it will keep playing. That's not the case in England lots of people will grow up having never tried the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users