RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will we ever catch up?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

The TV Coverage is more upmarket in the NRL, More Cameras, reasonable commentators that are often ex legends of the game that have been put through media courses they can not change the Weather usually.
I do not think they dub crowd noise at all.
The Stand that is in view of the Camera is usually the preferred stand by the fans for different reasons.

are there more cameras at a standard game? Sky cover games brilliantly (whether people like the commentators is up to them - we do use 5 ex GB internationals)
Penrith had thousands of empty seats facing the cameras and usually do.

Sport in the two countries is different. They have clubs sharing grounds - listen to the outrage when suggested here!

#42 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

whats the NRL average if you take brisbane's average out of it?

The current season is 17k with Brisbane, bear in mind a City the size if Brisbane could support 2 or 3 teams its only the Broncos Newscorp SL clout that has killed this off for a decade.
Last years average Club crowd was 16.5K

#43 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

are there more cameras at a standard game? Sky cover games brilliantly (whether people like the commentators is up to them - we do use 5 ex GB internationals)
Penrith had thousands of empty seats facing the cameras and usually do.

Sport in the two countries is different. They have clubs sharing grounds - listen to the outrage when suggested here!

Dave when I watch the SL Game the coverage by the Cameras is something from a decade ago.
Too much in close stuff when the ball is moving out wide.
Not sure whos coverage it is but the continual repeats of play that often make the commentators look like Oafs by their comments.
Just my thoughts but the Camera coverage in the game in the UK is behind the times, the commentary is further behind.

As far as Clubs sharing grounds, it will be like Club amalgamations it is just one of the Nails that is hitting the Games Coffin.
Does anyone think the old ARL Clubs wanted to merge? not at all but seeing two Clubs in a City Like Hull and Bradford/Leeds will send the game down the slope.

Edited by AndyCapp, 01 April 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#44 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

The current season is 17k with Brisbane, bear in mind a City the size if Brisbane could support 2 or 3 teams its only the Broncos Newscorp SL clout that has killed this off for a decade.
Last years average Club crowd was 16.5K

so what is it without brisbane's 33k average???

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Dave when I watch the SL Game the coverage by the Cameras is something from a decade ago.
Too much in close stuff when the ball is moving out wide.
Not sure whos coverage it is but the continual repeats of play that often make the commentators look like Oafs by their comments.
Just my thoughts but the Camera coverage in the game in the UK is behind the times, the commentary is further behind.

As far as Clubs sharing grounds, it will be like Club amalgamations it is just one of the Nails that is hitting the Games Coffin.
Does anyone think the old ARL Clubs wanted to merge? not at all but seeing two Clubs in a City Like Hull and Bradford/Leeds will send the game down the slope.

I dont really agree with the cameras thing - apart from the zooming in point. They often zoom in at point of collision which means the impact of a big hit is lost. They dont tend to zoom in when the ball is being spread.
The lack of and slowness of the replays on the Aussie coverage drives me mad, but then I suppose its what we are used to watching.

#46 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I do not know, about 1000 less when averaged over 16 Clubs whats your Maths like?
What does it matter?
If all the Clubs average 16.5k and Brissy are 33k work it out Spud
What is SL averages without the top few Clubs numbers?

#47 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

I dont really agree with the cameras thing - apart from the zooming in point. They often zoom in at point of collision which means the impact of a big hit is lost. They dont tend to zoom in when the ball is being spread.
The lack of and slowness of the replays on the Aussie coverage drives me mad, but then I suppose its what we are used to watching.

Dave I am sorry but when I watch a SL game I think the Coverage is from the last time Great Britain beat Australia in a series.
It is probably with the commentators a small part of why the game can not move forward in the UK. its living in the past, when ever I have watched the WCC it is really poor by todays standards.

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Dave I am sorry but when I watch a SL game I think the Coverage is from the last time Great Britain beat Australia in a series.
It is probably with the commentators a small part of why the game can not move forward in the UK. its living in the past, when ever I have watched the WCC it is really poor by todays standards.

Sky are generally very very good at Sports broadcasts.
I personally find the Aussie coverage dull - although i like some of the buildup and changing room stuff.
The graphics are often like a cheap xbox game.
Suppose its what we are used to seeing on our screens.

#49 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

I personally find the Aussie coverage dull - although i like some of the buildup and changing room stuff.

The worst thing I have ever seen in broadcast sport was that sbw thoughts thing a few weeks ago, it was embarrassing.

#50 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

a World Cup win is great until you get thrashed the next game.

I could live with that. I do agree with your comments about the need for more grassroots development though. Unfortunately in the UK SL is the be all and end all of rugby league. It wouldn't be so bad if the SL clubs were actually investing the same money and time in youth development as they once were but they are now in a process of contracting that development that in my opinion is to the detriment of the game as a whole.

Edited by deluded pom?, 01 April 2013 - 10:30 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#51 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Who's the director on Sky these days? Is it still Neville Smith?

rldfsignature.jpg

#52 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Like the "Robot" SL theme

#53 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

The worst thing I have ever seen in broadcast sport was that sbw thoughts thing a few weeks ago, it was embarrassing.

I agree that was sad and rubbish.

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Like the "Robot" SL theme

good point...not a massive fan if that. On the positive it is quite distinctive and really stands out if on in the background in the pub.

#55 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

I could live with that. I do agree with your comments about the need for more grassroots development though. Unfortunately in the UK SL is the be all and end all of rugby league. It wouldn't be so bad if the SL clubs were actually investing the same money and time in youth development as they once were but they are now in a process of contracting that development that in my opinion is to the detriment of the game as a whole.

Pom, I agree.
All good businesses need roots and foundations, there is no quick fix or easy option, you build a company or Sport from the ground up.
Its a pipe dream to think another area will embrace a new Sport. London is doomed to failure the way its been gone about.

#56 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

The season average for 2012 was 17,346. (For comparison: AFL was 32,748 but, as said, lower TV audience).

Sadly this isn't really true either. AFL games are broadcast for quite a bit longer than NRL games. This seems like its being picky but Cricket doesn't get huge figures because its average figure is speead over a longer period.

For instance if you calculated it like Union does with a new viewer every 15 minutes, AFL gets a fair bit more.

It is certainly closer than the crowds but the NRL is a clear second to AFL no matter how they look at it.

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I posted here a week or so ago about developing Juniors and School teams and a few people said that was rubbish.
Football (Soccer) has a huge following, why is that? because most people have played the game at some level, be it at School, the local 7th grade team in a Village or Town, in some way there has been a connection.Or there has been so many with a connection that the game looks like the game that is popular and the game to follow for the ones that have never played any Sport.

Australia has built the game where it is today in Oz by the local communities that promote the Juniors and their local games between small towns in the bush and country towns.
When SOO is played and they show the players photos and profiles look at where they come from, small local clubs built around local communities.

Build the foundations with the enthusiasts and get the game into all of the local Schools, its not a Flat Capper mentality its the obvious way to move forward.

The problem in England seems to have been the Cities and Towns that were Rugby League strongholds lost their way to some extent and decided importing players was easier and cheaper than building the infrastructure to develop a Junior player.

What are the chances of a Punter just deciding Rugby League looks like a great game although I know nothing at all about it other than I stumbled across it on a TV channel showing Ice Hockey and Badminton?

Or a team was just landed in my patch by the authorities, London, Wales, without any build up of the local juniors and community support, NONE

Salford are on a hiding to nothing, the money will not matter, there is no grass roots support and the money will fade before the enthusiasm grows.

An excellent excellent post.

Leeds as a club took this path around 2002, and today there are probably the most junior RL clubs in the city there has ever been, with a new junior club opening near us, an area that had no amateur league outside schools for 20 years.

I find many soccer fans can find the game at pro level tedious, but they go because that's their game, one they know, one they played, one they shared with their mates mums and dads.

Their excellent policy needs to be adopted by all the big clubs, for conversely only the big attractive SL clubs turn the heads of the local kids and inspire them to watch, play and make a career out of it.

This however can't be a policy for major growth. We are beyond that. It's more a policy for survival. So IMHO no we will not catch up, but we can stay in the game and survive.....

#58 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

It wouldn't be so bad if the SL clubs were actually investing the same money and time in youth development as they once were but they are now in a process of contracting that development that in my opinion is to the detriment of the game as a whole.

I don't know if that is true.

Leeds continue the player development above the academy through Hunslet.

Leeds continue to run an excellent academy

But they are working hard to widen the base of kids playing junior RL.

This isn't to me any contraction of the policy towards developing the game, far from it, what's most important is not a stand alone U23's but twice as many kids playing in Leeds.

Massive difference??

#59 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

It is fair to say that their crowds aren't as good as they should be. We often hear how it's like the Premier League when it isn't.

However, NRL fans are more fair weather than British fans and crowds fluctuate more. All 16 NRL clubs are capable of at least 20k plus crowds for big games. Put it this way Souths are capable of near 40k to huge games and probably more but for bread and butter games can drop under 10k.

Compare that to Wire who will rarely drop under 10k but who only sell put 14k a couple of times a year.

#60 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Football is also popular because surprise scores are common enough to get fans interested. A low part time team can sometimes overturn an Arsenal or Man U etc. Low teams often get shocks etc at internanational level.

RL has gone down the path of following the Aussies into an evermore intensive and physically difficult game to play. This means that you need a very good balance in opposing teams to get a close score. This now means unfortunately we've created a Superman game (like NFL) before we became a world game. Few people will reach this level (despite having the skills) meaning that the internationals are predicatble.

The best thing would be to get the Aussies to make the game easier to play rather than it becoming more and more intensive.

By the way I'm sure the sport at grass roots would benefit from RL not becoming too fit/hard to play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users