Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will we ever catch up?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I'm unconvinced.

I can understand how out of 50 players you can hothouse them to become very good professionals, but as we are seeing it's the skillfull players who make all the difference.

If you lists say the top ten playmakers and gamebreakers like Briers, Brough etc etc I just cannot believe for one minute you can coach them to be what they are.

I personally would have to agree in part with either side of this argument.
Insomuch as there certainly has to be a degree of natural aptitude in order to stand out from the crowd for certain players to display their own unique abilities, yet also, there can be little doubting the fact that better coaching from an early age will almost certainly weigh heavily favourably towards further enhancing those natural abilities and allowing such players to progress even further.

I would propose that the Melbourne Storm are the nearest to being the perfect example of this in the manner that they can seem to change so many of their playing staff on a regular basis, yet still maintain a very high degree of continuation within the team.
Cronk, Smith and Slater, do carry a lot of that continuity, but they do have to have the rest to help them and the changes rung there just do not seem to cause the disruption that others often suffer due to such occurrences.

#82 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Steve Mays point makes perfect sense to me, it's how much it matters that's in question, but to an extent it's true obviously.

Problem is if you've got excellent coaching, culture and all that with a small base of players, and the other guy(Australia) has the same standards but with more players and better athletes, then you're still going to lose.

#83 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm unconvinced.

I can understand how out of 50 players you can hothouse them to become very good professionals, but as we are seeing it's the skillfull players who make all the difference.

If you lists say the top ten playmakers and gamebreakers like Briers, Brough etc etc I just cannot believe for one minute you can coach them to be what they are.

Surely the point is that the "naturally gifted players" will be among those 'hothoused' and will also benefit from the better coaching. Thus, it's not a case of 'either/or', but a case of 'as well as'.

(and I'm not a fan of intense coaching of youngsters)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#84 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,044 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

I think this is the wrong question to ask IMHO

of course Rugby League in the UK can't achieve the status of Rugby League in Australia

there are two questions to consider I think.

1 What potential does uk rl actually have?

2 What are the chances of it being achieved?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users