Club release

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

It is with great sadness that Leigh Centurions share news this morning that former chairman Arthur Thomas passed away shortly before 7am having been taken to a local hospital.

Arthur supported the Centurions for many years firstly as a sponsor of the club before a four and a half year spell as chairman and major shareholder.

His business acumen and support was invaluable to the Centurions when current club directors Keith Freer and Phil Coffey formed part of the consortium that saved Leigh from administration on the eve of the 2003 season. At that time his son Darren joined Leigh's board and after severing his ties with St Helens, Arthur Thomas joined him at Leigh in 2007.

Mr Thomas will also be remembered at Wigan. There he served as a director and chairman and was a major investor and director at St Helens during their successful spell in the early 2000s.

Our condolences go out to Sylvia and all the Thomas family and friends, Arthur worked tirelessly for the club during his tenure and will be greatly missed by everyone.

Leigh Centurions Media Department

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

RIP Arthur Thomas, condolences to your family - he helped to save Leigh, and has given so much to this great game of ours

Edited by amh, 01 April 2013 - 07:16 AM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#3 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yes, I do think obituaries should be posted here, in the main flow of news.

The people likely to look in an obituary thread are people who know someone has died and are looking to read the obituary.

But there are also, probably, more people who don't know someone has died and might be grateful to find out so they can send condolence to the family. Such people are quite unlikely to be looking for an obituary thread.

To be honest, I didn't even know there was an obituary thread on this forum. Which doesn't say much for my powers of observation because if it is here, it must be signposted somewhere - but I don't think I am unique. I think it likely that, in general, most people tend not to be looking for obituaries to read as normal part of their normal day.

Put it on here - that's what I do. If `Webby' doesn't like it he'll say so.

:-)

Edited by Honor James, 31 March 2013 - 11:58 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

RIP AT.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

RIP Arthur.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#6 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Official RFL communication

Rugby League mourns Arthur Thomas

The RFL has sent its condolences to the family of Arthur Thomas, the former Wigan, St Helens and Leigh director who died earlier today aged 69.

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: "On behalf of everyone involved in Rugby League I would like to send our sympathies to Arthur's family at this very sad time.

"Throughout his life Arthur was very passionate about Rugby League and made an immense and valuable contribution to the sport in the North West. "Having served as Chairman of both Wigan and Leigh, and as a director of St Helens, Arthur was a tireless servant of the game he loved who made a huge difference at all three clubs.

"Rugby League and sport generally are poorer for his passing."
-ends-

John Ledger
Communications Manager

Edited by Honor James, 31 March 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#7 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

RIP :(

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users