RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fev

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

After a mediocre game on Friday, does anyone give us a chance at Fev tomorrow after they lost at York? I don't think we got any further injuries, unless Riggy can inform us otherwise.

I'd play a similar team, and again, I'd be happy with a bonus point. I wouldn't rule us out though, we're due a win against one of the top 6!

9 points from our last 5 games is good, but we need more in attack, come on Lions!

#2 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Is that our worst result of the season? It drops us to the bottom of the table.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#3 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

We have been unlucky to end up bottom of the pile after this weekend. after all we had the two hardest games possible. I'd have taken one point from these two games if you had offered me it on Thursday.

However, we need to buck up soon. I am aware that we are not a million miles away from being a good side, but I have a few worries. Firstly we seem to be picking up a large amount of injuries, this is not good as our squad is down to the bare bones already. Next there is Shaw, I am afraid to say that he just isnt good enough. He is an amazing kicker but his defense is average to say the least. Lastly is the quality of the lads dropping down from Wire. Dwyer is outstanding, he will always give you everything, but Tyrone McCarthy is supposed to be a world beater and he just looks disinterested. Wood looked like he thought he was on a jolly when he played, yet Clarke was really good. It seems like the attitude of some of the Wire players made need looking at.

I am probably being hyper-critical here, but if we dont start winning soon I aint looking forward to the traveling next year!

Edited by Barnie, 01 April 2013 - 11:17 PM.

Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#4 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Glad you aren't teaching English Barnie!!! The "Bear" Bones!!! LOL

#5 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

Glad you aren't teaching English Barnie!!! The "Bear" Bones!!! LOL

amended. i wish i had that much time on my hands. lol

Posted Image

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Youre not a bottom of the league team from that today.

Cummins Out.

#7 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

It is a funny league and much depends on who you have played, when and where. After three games against top 4 teams then it was always going to be a difficult patch and we are bottom due to the defeat to workington a home on the opening day in my opinion. That said the next three ( two at home) are at least winnable and where would 9 points from the next three leave us? After all three points off the playoffs too.. It is about closin out those games and picking up the bonus points along the way. We have only won one a home from 5 so far losing to leigh, sheffield, dewsbury and workington.

We will get a much better picture when we reach the half way point and all have played each other once.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#8 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Whitehaven beat Sheffield and York beat Fev over the easter weekend which has been rather unfortunate for us! Plus the bottom two teams won yesterday as well! There's 4 points separating 9 teams as it stands and we've played pretty much all of the "top" teams, apart from Batley.

The pressure is on now though, two wins are required from our next three.

On yesterdays game, I'm not sure we deserved to lose by 20. Fev are obviously one of the best teams in the league but we didn't get any luck yesterday, which is what you're going to need to beat the top teams. The decision on their try at the end of the 1st half was awful, if the winger wasn't in touch then the pass was a mile forward, their lad basically dropped on the ball as it bounced over the line! Other than that, it just looked like we did little homework on Lamont Bryan, he did the damage down our left hand side and made it look easy.

Ritchie Hawkyard for try (and man) of the match though! And Brad Dwyer is pure class.

#9 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Yes Dwyer is pure class but I'll bet you he doesn't start the next match seeing as Watson is not allowed to be dropped or subbed for some reason. Plus Laithwaite has broken his ankle and is out for six weeks.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#10 Michael Bates

Michael Bates
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

The pass for the try in question initially went backwards, it doesn't matter if it then bounces and goes forward, it's not a forward pass

#11 swintonion

swintonion
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

The simple fact why we are bottom is the completion rate.
It has been quoted on the web site is is about 46%.
This is our biggest issue.Not only in yesterdays game but in probably in all of our games this season.
The first aid crew were a joke at Fev yesterday.
James Laithwaite broke his ankle and they brought on one crutch.Whats that about?

#12 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I imagine we'll end up with a fine for that.

Posted Image

#13 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

He is an amazing kicker but his defense is average

Oh and while we're on, "defense" is the US spelling as opposed to the UK spelling "defence"

#14 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Felt sorry for Laithwaite he was having a good game until the accident when he had his legs taken from under him in a tackle just behind him. Credit to one of the Featherstone players he told the ref to stop the game straight away and when the doctor looked at James he did indicate that a stretcher was needed but nobody moved and he was forced to run back off the field and take a pair of crutches back to James to help him from the field.

I wish James a speedy recovery as i am sure all the Lions fans will do.

#15 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Oh and while we're on, "defense" is the US spelling as opposed to the UK spelling "defence"

well its a good job none of my writing is available in academic libraries. its also a good job i dont have any letters after my name such as BA(Hons).

Oh wait it is and i have lol

Posted Image

#16 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Sorry Keith but "defense" has been in use in France since before the War of Independence. "Defense de fumer". We merely adopted the French version rather than the English.

Now while we are on things grammatical, I noticed in the latest Rugby League Journal that while, as you correctly pointed out, it's Billy Boston, it is Willie Horne. Weird, eh? Perhaps our BA(Hons) can explain?
Posted Image

#17 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Perhaps our BA(Hons) can explain?

One thing I cannot work out is why grammar is so important when we are bottom of the league! I think the term 'bigger fish to fry' springs to mind. please note the English single quotation marks as opposed to our American cousins who use the "double" quotation marks.

Posted Image

#18 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

The pass for the try in question initially went backwards, it doesn't matter if it then bounces and goes forward, it's not a forward pass

Fair play if so. I'd like to refer it to the video ref though.

#19 Sportbilly

Sportbilly
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

The first aid crew were a joke at Fev yesterday.
James Laithwaite broke his ankle and they brought on one crutch.Whats that about?

ask your physio....he assessed the situation, the st johns/first aiders are there when required, they dont get involved unless requested.........first aid crews are not a joke, at any ground.
There are no strangers at Post Office Road, only friends who haven't met.

#20 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

One thing I cannot work out is why grammar is so important when we are bottom of the league! I think the term 'bigger fish to fry' springs to mind. please note the English single quotation marks as opposed to our American cousins who use the "double" quotation marks.

It's a distraction so we don't get too depressed!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users