Fev

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Coldest I've been on a rugby ground in a long time. Talk about wind chill factor! And the Fev try towards the end of the 1st half was more than a tad dubious. Looked like his foot was on the line when ball was released.

#22 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Agree with Steve about the brass monkey (or 'blue' monkey) weather at Post Office Road. But then again it was bitter sat in the stands on Good Friday and probably even colder at the Shay a few weeks ago.

What puzzles me though, you see players wearing jerseys with short sleeves. Well, you might say, it's summer rugby these days and that's why they have short sleeves instead of the old long sleeved jerseys worn in ye olde days of winter football. Point taken.

So, having said that, how is it that the rugby union boys also wear short sleeves and they still play in winter (as do footballers too). I know they can opt for an additional long sleeved garment worn underneath, but more often than not, it looks a bit naff - like none-matching cycling shorts do (white rugby shorts on top of longer black cycling shorts - to prevent hamstring injuries?)

What next? Players wearing gloves like the (grossly) overpaid prima donnas of the Premier League?

#23 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Agree with Steve about the brass monkey (or 'blue' monkey) weather at Post Office Road. But then again it was bitter sat in the stands on Good Friday and probably even colder at the Shay a few weeks ago.

What puzzles me though, you see players wearing jerseys with short sleeves. Well, you might say, it's summer rugby these days and that's why they have short sleeves instead of the old long sleeved jerseys worn in ye olde days of winter football. Point taken.

So, having said that, how is it that the rugby union boys also wear short sleeves and they still play in winter (as do footballers too). I know they can opt for an additional long sleeved garment worn underneath, but more often than not, it looks a bit naff - like none-matching cycling shorts do (white rugby shorts on top of longer black cycling shorts - to prevent hamstring injuries?)

What next? Players wearing gloves like the (grossly) overpaid prima donnas of the Premier League?

One of the theories behind the modern shirts is that they are more difficult for opposition players to grab, hence the short sleeves and tighter fit than traditional kit.  Means the opposition cannot easily effect a tackle by pulling at the shirt.

I believe that's the idea behind it.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users