Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ideas For Atmosphere

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Having PM'd a little with jiggyknight we have a few ideas to bring some great atmosphere to matches, would be great for feedback and add your own.
JK - "I'm good with ideas but not putting them on paper just feel there's more that can be done to get the atmosphere back there's choc factories on our doorsteps good york bands and singers we have Norris but not involved with any interaction surly no disrespect to the guy that's doing it now but an announcer that can jeer up the crowd that's there things like that help there's more to this club than just turn up watch a match go home the crowd fans are the back bone of this club and getting the kids back is the way forward." think its important to make each match an event, not just turn up and go home like jiggy says.
Me - "I agree, getting Norris to stand near the crowd might be a start, not standing behind the Bluddy posts.
Firstly I think the most important thing is getting the kids in. I see maybe one or two kids at the rugby which tbh, isn't good enough. Free tickets for primary school children is an absolute must. This equals kids getting hooked, bringing one or two paying adults, more money more crowd everybody wins. As I said on that topic I was 9 when I was first brought to a knights match having never really being interested in rugby before and I was hooked from that very day, so it obviously works!
Secondly I think, flags flags and more flags, culminating in two giant knights flags at either end of the terracing in the pop stand. Much in the vein of the 32red flag/banners you see at Swanseas football ground. This will give the stadium some identity sort of 'this is our home' kind of thing. It will restrict the area of the pop stand so it will 'feel' fuller, even if it isn't. We could also use them when/if we move to our new ground, as from what I've seen of drawings the seats are going to be RED which is the footballs colours, not ours. Plus it will look cool!"

Your thoughts?

Edited by YCKonstantine, 01 April 2013 - 11:14 AM.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Reduced admission for York City and Hull season ticket holders.

2014 SQL League Leader

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Reduced admission for York City and Hull season ticket holders.

We already do this one and Hull fans can in fact get in for £10 at the Dewsbury game.

All you're other ideas are good though, I'll see what we can do!
Posted Image

#4 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I always thought oxygen was needed to create an atmosphere :lol:

Think the idea of "kids for a quid" should be for every home game. What happened to playing songs as the teams came out?

#5 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I disagree with the free kids thing completely. I see the reasoning, but it simply doesn't work.

Thousands of free season tickets are given out at schools by the Foundation and tens of thousands of free kids tickets for specific games are given out in flyers throughout the season - where are the kids?

We need to charge a fiver for kids and incentivise adults to bring them along. I said this in another thread:

Bring a kid, get a fiver off an adult entry, Bring 2 kids and an Adult gets in free.

For season ticket holders - kids are a quid

Of course in all respects, a Kid is under 13...

Once they're in the ground, we have to make the kids want to come back week in week out, really create that nag factor, so that's where Norris comes in with his free choccie and/or sweets and his water squirter. He really does need to pull his finger out though, he's been a bit lazy of late.

It's also down to us as fans. I have 3 kids, I bring Kid 1 to every game. Kid 2 has lost interest completely as he was sick of seeing us lose - hopefully he'll be back soon.

#6 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I disagree with the free kids thing completely. I see the reasoning, but it simply doesn't work.

Thousands of free season tickets are given out at schools by the Foundation and tens of thousands of free kids tickets for specific games are given out in flyers throughout the season - where are the kids?

We need to charge a fiver for kids and incentivise adults to bring them along. I said this in another thread:

Bring a kid, get a fiver off an adult entry, Bring 2 kids and an Adult gets in free.

For season ticket holders - kids are a quid

Of course in all respects, a Kid is under 13...

Once they're in the ground, we have to make the kids want to come back week in week out, really create that nag factor, so that's where Norris comes in with his free choccie and/or sweets and his water squirter. He really does need to pull his finger out though, he's been a bit lazy of late.

It's also down to us as fans. I have 3 kids, I bring Kid 1 to every game. Kid 2 has lost interest completely as he was sick of seeing us lose - hopefully he'll be back soon.

Fair enough, like I say, just ideas. And yes, Norris really does need a good kick up the ######. What did you think to the flags thing..?

2014 SQL League Leader

#7 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

The flags are a great idea. That's what it's all about - pride - and flags show alot of it. We all need to start standing together too, being spread around is no good for atmosphere.

#8 Caldecott

Caldecott
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

York City had a flag day today and a good 50-100 flags as the team came out - I will see if I can find a photo later.

Also, has anyone heard of the Wigan Brigantes?
This is what they do at matches www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xntXH3drgE

And this is what I found from the wigan website

"The Brigantes are a group of supporters who are attempting to create a positive atmosphere during matches at The DW Stadium by displaying large flags and banners.

The original brainchild of two supporters at the end of 2009, the group have grown beyond belief over the last 18 months or so and now have over 20 flags on display within the stadium on matchdays and are obtaining more and more every week.

The popularity of the flags has been seen numerous times since the first display in February 2010, when just 11 flags were hung above the South Stand when Wigan played Crusaders, as fans continue to donate money towards new flags through the Paypal site, through a bucket collection that was held prior to games and at the Anniversary fundraiser when over £1000 was raised after tickets had sold out in less than 36 hours. Over 300 pin badges have been sold and now other pieces of merchandise are being created.

In 2011 The Brigantes have branched out into displaying large flags at the front of the stands prior to the match as well as in the stands throughout the game. These displays can be mainly seen at away matches as the fans attempt to create a home atmosphere wherever we go.

Everyone involved with The Brigantes would like to thank you all for your support and donations. Without the help from you this could never have happened as quickly and effectively as it has. Anyone who is interested in contributing towards this initiative can get further details from wiganflag.co.uk or The Brigantes."

Just an idea.

YCK

#9 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

York City had a flag day today and a good 50-100 flags as the team came out - I will see if I can find a photo later.

Also, has anyone heard of the Wigan Brigantes?
This is what they do at matches www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xntXH3drgE

And this is what I found from the wigan website

"The Brigantes are a group of supporters who are attempting to create a positive atmosphere during matches at The DW Stadium by displaying large flags and banners.

The original brainchild of two supporters at the end of 2009, the group have grown beyond belief over the last 18 months or so and now have over 20 flags on display within the stadium on matchdays and are obtaining more and more every week.

The popularity of the flags has been seen numerous times since the first display in February 2010, when just 11 flags were hung above the South Stand when Wigan played Crusaders, as fans continue to donate money towards new flags through the Paypal site, through a bucket collection that was held prior to games and at the Anniversary fundraiser when over £1000 was raised after tickets had sold out in less than 36 hours. Over 300 pin badges have been sold and now other pieces of merchandise are being created.

In 2011 The Brigantes have branched out into displaying large flags at the front of the stands prior to the match as well as in the stands throughout the game. These displays can be mainly seen at away matches as the fans attempt to create a home atmosphere wherever we go.

Everyone involved with The Brigantes would like to thank you all for your support and donations. Without the help from you this could never have happened as quickly and effectively as it has. Anyone who is interested in contributing towards this initiative can get further details from wiganflag.co.uk or The Brigantes."

Just an idea.

Sounds good that and would be great inspiration. As I say I think two massive flags either end of the pop stand that go from top to bottom and over the first gangway to the end would be brilliant, not sure of the financial costs of that but I think it would look brilliant!

2014 SQL League Leader

#10 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Its also to be noted that they won today. No doubt there will be pictures in the press tomorrow, so if we did a similar thing, got pictures in the press it may capture the people of York to come down to a match and see for themselves.

2014 SQL League Leader

#11 Caldecott

Caldecott
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Its also to be noted that they won today. No doubt there will be pictures in the press tomorrow, so if we did a similar thing, got pictures in the press it may capture the people of York to come down to a match and see for themselves.

The problem there is that unless people bring there own flags, cost is going to be a problem. The ones the fans had were either £1 old wembley ones from last year that the club shop were selling off or what was left from the old jorvik reds ultras group.

I'm all up for trying to get an atmosphere back. I do remember when there was 2000+ every game and 100s of knights fans travelled away and noise was made wherever we went.

Edited by Caldecott, 01 April 2013 - 07:00 PM.

YCK

#12 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

The problem there is that unless people bring there own flags, cost is going to be a problem. The ones the fans had were either £1 old wembley ones from last year that the club shop were selling off or what was left from the old jorvik reds ultras group.

Money is always an issue but its up to us to pull our finger out. It won't just happen overnight, like you said it took Wigan 18 months to get all their stuff sorted

I'm all up for trying to get an atmosphere back. I do remember when there was 2000+ every game and 100s of knights fans travelled away and noise was made wherever we went.

As do I. I think it was Pete Martini that said last month that we took double the amount of fans to Halifax in 2004 than we had at our home match against Swinton this year.

Edited by YCKonstantine, 02 April 2013 - 09:52 AM.

2014 SQL League Leader

#13 SuperYork

SuperYork
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

How about a one off game price cut? £10 adults, £5 student/OAP £1 children. Try get the fans through the gate and show them what they are missing out on. Hopefully show them good stuff that will make them come back, paying full price.

#14 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Or 7 quid for an adult if they bring a child half price fill the ground put on a good show things for kids the ball games they used to play and get say rowntrees involved free sweets for the kid make it a special day and see where it take you players signing autographs they will love it

#15 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Maybe some live music

#16 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Copout where good that time

#17 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

The family fun days were great when they started, got over 3,000 against Hunslet but since then they have gone down hill, got to entertain the kids once we get them in the ground, could have races round the pitch on the running track.

#18 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Used to have minster fm do races with the kids in front of the pop stand, now I never hear any mention of the knights even on the radio!

2014 SQL League Leader

#19 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

more school rugby before match and at half time. shouuld bring parents in
sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#20 badger24

badger24
  • Coach
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Tell me if i am way off the mark but what about curtain raisers with maybe u16's or u18's bit more of competitive edge . From the likes of Heworth or all blacks . Sell tickets through said clubs at a reduced price and it may well get more people through turnstiles . Maybe even a 2nd team from amateur york clubs .