Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Todays game

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Could not agree more. Time for a change

#22 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Our back three are im-mobile in defence. March is probably a year too old or injured, Haughey may be injured, I don't know and Oakes is more like a prop. We need more mobility in the forwards, but who?
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#23 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Its the forwards that need changing too many that just trundle it up without a hope of breaking a tackle, Houston being a perfect example.Micheal Haley has apparently left Fev get him in now asap before its too late
Posted Image

#24 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

No tactical kicking. Grimmer just boots it to opposition all day long. Credit to Tommy Haughey today. A hatrick on one leg. No credit to the PA system as couldn't hear it. Also the fixture board on Middleton Grove said Sheffield left from last week. Keighley looked faster than us. Wish we had Ryan Smith back here as Ansell was anonymous

Posted Image

#25 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Things must be bad to want ryan smith back penola
Posted Image

#26 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

These comments are coming from seasoned followers-
2 of Keighleys tries came from reverse kicks-- planned moves from a good coach ?.
We could still have won this game in the last minute-- with the ball in our hands from the restart why didn't we try a high kick to Richie Barnetts wing ? -- or was that to cpmplicated for us ?

#27 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Barnett may have his doubters on here but he still left Prycey for dead in the 1st half and would have scored if Keinhorst hadnt pulled off a great tackle.Regarding the reverse kick Barry was a master of it and surely we should be teaching and practising this for either Watson or Grimmer to run on to like Paul White did yesterday.
Posted Image

#28 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

Things must be bad to want ryan smith back penola

I think he looks assured and solid and he kicks well

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

#29 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Barnett may have his doubters on here but he still left Prycey for dead in the 1st half and would have scored if Keinhorst hadnt pulled off a great tackle.Regarding the reverse kick Barry was a master of it and surely we should be teaching and practising this for either Watson or Grimmer to run on to like Paul White did yesterday.

#30 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Prycey had a mare yesterday but he wasn't the only one

#31 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Not sure why Brickwood has been dropped. Has not done anything wrong, has had to be shifted in from the Wing to the centre in recent games during matches to accomadate having another winger on the bench. And was played in the 2nd row at Batley.

In defence of pryce, he did not knock on yesterday, he fumbled the ball; but the ball never touched the ground.

#32 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Not sure why Brickwood has been dropped. Has not done anything wrong, has had to be shifted in from the Wing to the centre in recent games during matches to accomadate having another winger on the bench. And was played in the 2nd row at Batley.

In defence of pryce, he did not knock on yesterday, he fumbled the ball; but the ball never touched the ground.

#33 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

I think he looks assured and solid and he kicks well

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

He is highly rated at Keighley ,a fans favourite .A good pair of hands and links up well in attack.

#34 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

As far as i'm aware Brickwood wasn't dropped, hes got exams at college all this week according to his dad. Pryce fumbled and caught the ball again as it touched the ground, but i thought it was funny when he jumped to catch the ball and totally missed it. My personal opinion is he needs time to get into it again, but it doesn't help when we don't use the wingers ( only as a last gasp pass or to run the ball in ), but i said this all last season and nothings changed, and we finished second bottom, hope history don't repeat itself.

#35 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

You lot sound like me, about half way through last season !!

True, we came up with a stinker on Monday, but it was the first of the season (Leigh away came close, but we were crippled with injuries that day). It's how we respond to performances like those that will show the mettle of the coach and players.

Remember last season, when the left side defence resembled a wet paper bag for about six games on the trot? When the same players kept making the same defensive and judgement errors but still kept the shirt? Was it Featherstone who came to our place and scored about 8 or 9 nine tries, just about all of them down the left defensive channels? A week or two later we saw much the same away at Batley.

After several games with no tangible improvement I was critical on here of coach and certain players, and their apparent inability to change or learn from their mistakes (incidentally, none of the major culprits from that time are still at the club). Now I'm not conceited or deluded enough to suggest my posts actually changed anything (it was probably mostly due to the fact that the injuries cleared up a bit and we had more options), but the last few games we finally saw some improvement, we picked up a few bonus points and even won the last match to get off the bottom of the table.

I hope we agree we're NOT in the same boat as we were mid-season last year. But Monday's effort has definitely turned the heat up. To start with, in this week's cup tie we are owed a performance, and we need to be in the bag for the next round for a shot at a long overdue money-spinning tie.

After that, the next three league games - Swinton, York and Workington - are now even more crucial. I would say at least seven points should be the target; any fewer and we will be in, or very close to, the bottom two - though looking at the nature of the league this year it is very unlikely to be "too late". But we will have to seriously consider making changes before it is.

Let's see how things stand when we get back from Workington on May 5th.

#36 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I don't think we will have the d/reg players this Sunday Leeds keeping them for their cup ties--- without them this season we would have been in a sorry state. Liam Hood is the one player we have with vision, and I think that IF he had played in the two Easter fixtures we may have won both games.
So looking at our squad we have a number of players who haven't featured recently. the problem being that they can't be match fit, and we don't get told anything about them, but it's a game that we should give them a chance.
Replying to the comments on Grimmer it's time that he shouldered more responsability, I don't mind him kicking straight down the field as long as it doesn't go dead--- better if the ball stops on the try line.
Don't think we will have many spectators on Sunday, but at least we will get the chance to have a walk round and talk to each other.
Pleased with the constructive comments made on Mondays game from the regulars who know what they are talking about.

#37 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Kicking the ball dead isnt a bad option these days as it gives the line time to get set a lot of teams use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users