Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

nigel wood bigging super league up and the game of rl

a round too early

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
200 replies to this topic

#1 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

http://www.therfl.co...ils-a-season-to

todays results surely show that not all is as rosey as hes painting. not enough super league standard players available, especially when injuries kick in. Also crowds for certain teams, super league and championships are really poor.

#2 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

You're so right. He should have put out a press release saying how rubbish everything is

#3 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

todays results surely show that not all is as rosey as hes painting. not enough super league standard players available, especially when injuries kick in. Also crowds for certain teams, super league and championships are really poor.

Right that's it lets shut up shop and begger off to Rugby Union, the game is obviously not worth shouting about.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#4 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

His job is to big up the game, but a bit unfortunate timing about the tightness of games with some of today's results.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 01 April 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

I hate rugby league.

Oh no...that's you miserable bastards.

#6 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

I hate rugby league.

Hee, hee.

RL: Great game, shame about the 'supporters'

#7 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

There are really a number of RL fans that revel in the games apparent demise.

I thought totalrl was bad but I ventured to RLfans for the first time in ages the other day and quickly left. After a great weekends games the main threads were about how crowds were down with one poster gleeful at the prospect and going to ridiculous lengths to point it out.

The sad fact being if they improved he and they would very probably stop talking about them.

#8 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

I hate rugby league.

miserable, and hatred?, just highlighting a couple of facts. massive one sided scorelines and empty stadia are no good for anyone. you and a few others obviously think otherwise and along with wood are kidding yourselves. i get it leave it as it is, everything will be ok. i agree wood should be shouting from the roof tops what weve got as a product is good but if you think easter weekend has been a massive success, well i must be missing something.

#9 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

miserable, and hatred?, just highlighting a couple of facts. massive one sided scorelines and empty stadia are no good for anyone. you and a few others obviously think otherwise and along with wood are kidding yourselves. i get it leave it as it is, everything will be ok. i agree wood should be shouting from the roof tops what weve got as a product is good but if you think easter weekend has been a massive success, well i must be missing something.

Yes, amongst others, you seem to have missed Leeds v Bradford, Wigan v St. Helens and Hull v Hull KR

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,802 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yes, amongst others, you seem to have missed Leeds v Bradford, Wigan v St. Helens and Hull v Hull KR

No no no, ALL the results this season have been blowouts and any draws or tight games you may think you have seen never happened. ;)

I knew, as soon as I saw the big scorelines from the second part of the Easter weekend, that they would be gleefully used on here as an example of everything being wrong with the game.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

not bad out of 14 matches, classic matches, maybe maybe not dependant on who your supporting. easters mondays fixtures were terrible, unless you enjoy 1 sided matches involving teams that have more 1st team players missing than playing, a great advert for rugby league, and highlight what i said above
"not enough super league standard players available, especially when injuries kick in".

best put my head back in the sand, everything is and will be alright.

Edited by usain bolt, 02 April 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#12 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

What are the positive elements you see in RL currently?

#13 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

So Leeds and Catalan was another game that didn't happen on Easter Monday?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#14 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

So Leeds and Catalan was another game that didn't happen on Easter Monday?

4 out of 14 then, 2 fullish squads that pretty much "competed" with each other for long spells, although not a spectacle, a great result for leeds.

#15 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

4 out of 14 then, 2 fullish squads that pretty much "competed" with each other for long spells, although not a spectacle, a great result for leeds.

What are you talking about, 4 out of 14?

Leeds-Bradford
Saints-Wigan
Widnes-Wire
Hull-Hull KR
Salford-Hudds
London-Catalan
Cas-Wakey
Leeds-Catalans

At least this number were competitive.

If anything it is an argument for the scrapping of the Easter Weekend as it stands rather than indicative of anything else.

Just as an aside, where was your thread pointing out how great everything was on Friday. I can't seem to find it.

#16 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Leeds-Bradford
Saints-Wigan
Widnes-Wire
Hull-Hull KR
Salford-Hudds
London-Catalan
Cas-Wakey
Leeds-Catalans

If anything it is an argument for the scrapping of the Easter Weekend as it stands rather than indicative of anything else.

Just as an aside, where was your thread pointing out how great everything was on Friday. I can't seem to find it.

Bradford v Salford was a very close game and was only really settled with Bradford's final try right near the end. Twelve points is not a blowout! The first half was all Bradford, but we outscored them in the second. Francis Cummins admitted to being a bit nervous half way through the second half, when we got back to within a single converted try.

Edited by tonyXIII, 02 April 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#17 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Leeds-Bradford
Saints-Wigan
Widnes-Wire
Hull-Hull KR
Salford-Hudds
London-Catalan
Cas-Wakey
Leeds-Catalans

as ive said above regarding squad depths, not enough players at super league level, especially when injuries kick in, and like you highlight 2 games in 1 weekend for sides is too much, especially when 1 side has more injuries than others, player depth, and has been fully highlighted this weekend. theres no co incidence that all the games except 1 youve highlighted were the games on friday not monday. its highlighted on easter monday with the one sided scores that there is a problem.

i also stated that crowds are dropping at super league and championship level. "Also crowds for certain teams, super league and championships are really poor". 1136 at london and 2788 at salford both friday and 1600ish top crowd in championships. ive not stated anything false on my original post. so everything wasnt great on friday, therefore no "great post".

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,329 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Crowds are dropping at SL and Champ level are they? How is that conclusion arrived at? Would it not be sensible to wait until the season is over rather than make a judgement after just nine games? As for making a judgement that there is a problem.

we've been over this time and time and time and time again. 2013 is not 2003 or 1993 or even 1893. Things have changed: where people live, where people work, what people do for recreation, how much TV they watch etc all different. so to make judgement solely about crowds when they are just part of a club's income stream seems to be necessarily restrictive.

Sure , things can always be better with everything, but equally, i think you are wrong to step over into "We are all doomed" territory

#19 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Crowds are dropping at SL and Champ level are they? How is that conclusion arrived at? Would it not be sensible to wait until the season is over rather than make a judgement after just nine games? As for making a judgement that there is a problem.

we've been over this time and time and time and time again. 2013 is not 2003 or 1993 or even 1893. Things have changed: where people live, where people work, what people do for recreation, how much TV they watch etc all different. so to make judgement solely about crowds when they are just part of a club's income stream seems to be necessarily restrictive.

Sure , things can always be better with everything, but equally, i think you are wrong to step over into "We are all doomed" territory

not mentioned at any time that the game is doomed, simply stated that certain teams have lower crowds, and that squads arent big/ quality enough at super league level especially when playing 2 games as close together as they were at the weekend.

#20 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Do you? Fair enough i Suppose. I don't. Then I am a bottle half empty miserable b'stard!!!
I think the game is towin it nads of to stay where it is.... I guess we'll see over time. That said, I aren't blamin the bloke for 'biggin up' the game. What else is he supposed to do, even if there are those who run clubs, on various BoD, and the odd coach who may not share his enthusiasm.
Right, time to go back under my shell of doom.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)