Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

nigel wood bigging super league up and the game of rl

a round too early

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
200 replies to this topic

#41 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

I love Rufgby League - its Super League I can't watch. Some great skills on show but they are allowed to pass the ball forward, and then nothing that the players do decides a tight game - its invariably a refereeing decision!

Without a doubt,he decided the outcome of the Catalans -Leeds game :rolleyes:
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#42 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,061 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

If Nigel Wood told you RL was dying and we should all give up, you would tell us it's never been healthier and rallying the troops.

I dare gamble a large wad he wouldn't!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#43 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

If Nigel Wood told some of you aliens were visiting earth next week because they find RL a great sport you would believe him.

If Rugby League was doing well you wouldn't be on here.

#44 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

For me, the people who are so quick to shoot down people, who dont agree with them and Nigel Wood, should get a reality check and stop being so arrogant. We all love the game in our own way. No fan is bigger or better than the other. A number of people love the game, but are fed up with the administratiuon of it by Nigel Wood and co. Why does that make us any less of a fan? Nigel Wood and the RFL have done some good things. But he has let certain parts of the game down in our opinion. And the Championship has suffered. For certain posters they seem to get off on trying put down people who dont agree with them and in a high and mighty attitude. The forum is getting a place where a number of people have had enough with such attitudes. Personally it doesnt bother me. But its a shame certain people think its OK to speak down to others and claim they should not follow the game. Pathetic. We dont have to agree but least show some respect in some way.

#45 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,061 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

For me, the people who are so quick to shoot down people, who dont agree with them and Nigel Wood, should get a reality check and stop being so arrogant. We all love the game in our own way. No fan is bigger or better than the other. A number of people love the game, but are fed up with the administratiuon of it by Nigel Wood and co. Why does that make us any less of a fan? Nigel Wood and the RFL have done some good things. But he has let certain parts of the game down in our opinion. And the Championship has suffered. For certain posters they seem to get off on trying put down people who dont agree with them and in a high and mighty attitude. The forum is getting a place where a number of people have had enough with such attitudes. Personally it doesnt bother me. But its a shame certain people think its OK to speak down to others and claim they should not follow the game. Pathetic. We dont have to agree but least show some respect in some way.

ahhhh twas ever yhus si.....
Well it wasn't but you make some interesting observations.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#46 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

And it turns into another SL v Championship debate.
Some people are only happy when they are complaining.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#47 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,684 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

And it turns into another SL v Championship debate.
Some people are only happy when they are complaining.

well apparently SL is rubbish, not patch on the championship for some-but the same people think it's a scandal that their club isn't in it.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,399 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

If Nigel Wood told some of you aliens were visiting earth next week because they find RL a great sport you would believe him.

and so it continues...... If Nigel Wood said 2 plus 2 equals 4, there are those on here who would say he is wrong. These naysayers try to polarise an argument that does not exist. No one on here has as far as I can tell has ever claimed everything in the garden is rosy so why the daft statement? All we ever try to do is look forwards and upwards, not downwards and backwards.

#49 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Are you denying that there are people that revel in RLs apparent demise?

The problem is a lack of balance, these posters only ever pick up on the negative an jump on it straight away. I don't include you in these despite disagreeing with you on a lot of things. Posters who 3 games into a new season proclaim that crowds are down or that it is more uncompetitive than ever.

There are very few posters that think everything is brilliant but by the same token everything isn't dreadful. God knows I've been criticised for negativity fairly recently even.

Friday was the biggest RL related high I've had in about a decade and topped off a cracking couple of days of action. However, all I saw on the forums was bitching about crowds. Then to make it worse, as soon as Monday happens a whole host of boo-boys come out from under the woodwork to have a go.

Don't try and paint this into some noble fans trying to speak out about the game and being hounded for it. What we really have is a bunch of fans that have let their disagreements about the game's direction get to the stage where they are gleefully willing the game to fail just so they can be proven right.

If the game does ever die it'll be more to do with these fans than anything Nigel Wood could ever do.

#50 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

and if more people delivered their criticism of wood in such an even handed manner they wouldn't be shot down, but DOOM DOOM gets what it deserves
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#51 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

People like you often make out like you're doing it for balance but its funny how you only ever pop up for negative threads. There are no equivalent thread from you pointing out how great a game was or how well the RFL have done.

It's all one way which is why it gets so much grief. For what it's worth I think crowds are down this year but if it was a reputable poster like Dave T, Wellsy or JohnM doing so then there would be a genuine discussion. Not because there is an in crowd here but because there is an element of trust that they are genuine based on other posts and they aren't just being negative because they for some reason revel in it.

Unfortunately in RL circles there are far too many of the latter and their posts usually sound a lot like yours.

open forum, opinions, more like closed shop. wasnt meant to be overly negative, was meant to be highlighting that squads arent quality/ deep enough for 2 fixtures in such a small space of time, especially when teams already have depleted squads and that certain teams have decreasing gates. sounds like an in crowd to me, and if you think nigel wood and his other members do do enough to big our game up then fair enough, a poxy statement by him thats far from the truth doesnt do much for me. sure friday had some good, close fixtures and true 10 rounds in there has been other close/drawn games, but playing standards arent as high for me. my opinion, but not allowed to mention.

#52 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

open forum, opinions, more like closed shop. wasnt meant to be overly negative, was meant to be highlighting that squads arent quality/ deep enough for 2 fixtures in such a small space of time, especially when teams already have depleted squads and that certain teams have decreasing gates. sounds like an in crowd to me, and if you think nigel wood and his other members do do enough to big our game up then fair enough, a poxy statement by him thats far from the truth doesnt do much for me. sure friday had some good, close fixtures and true 10 rounds in there has been other close/drawn games, but playing standards arent as high for me. my opinion, but not allowed to mention.

how is it a 'closed shop', you quite legitimately give your opinion(and others are quite legitimately allowed to disagree with it, or indeed agree with it,) and then you say you're 'not allowed to mention' it. How does that work?
Keeping it local

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

and if more people delivered their criticism of wood in such an even handed manner they wouldn't be shot down, but DOOM DOOM gets what it deserves

absolutely
Keeping it local

#54 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

how is it a 'closed shop', you quite legitimately give your opinion(and others are quite legitimately allowed to disagree with it, or indeed agree with it,) and then you say you're 'not allowed to mention' it. How does that work?

"but if it was a reputable poster like Dave T, Wellsy or JohnM doing so then there would be a genuine discussion. Not because there is an in crowd here but because there is an element of trust that they are genuine based on other posts"

no genuine discussion unless your reputable, liked, trusted, agree with everything we say. oh and by the way i dont "revel" in it. i want whats best for rugby league too.

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

"but if it was a reputable poster like Dave T, Wellsy or JohnM doing so then there would be a genuine discussion. Not because there is an in crowd here but because there is an element of trust that they are genuine based on other posts"

no genuine discussion unless your reputable, liked, trusted, agree with everything we say. oh and by the way i dont "revel" in it. i want whats best for rugby league too.

what makes a discussion 'genuine' surely is what people have to say, what makes things even more genuine is when people back up what they say with hard information.

nobody is prevented, 'not allowed' to put forward a point of view. I find it bizzarre that you put forward a point of view, then in the next sentence say that you are not allowed to put it forward.
Keeping it local

#56 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

what makes a discussion 'genuine' surely is what people have to say, what makes things even more genuine is when people back up what they say with hard information.

nobody is prevented, 'not allowed' to put forward a point of view. I find it bizzarre that you put forward a point of view, then in the next sentence say that you are not allowed to put it forward.

hard facts, what quote figures from salford, london attendances. surely you can see that these teams have diminishing crowds this year without putting them on, and the fact that the one sided games on easter monday speak for themselves regarding squad depth/ quality. havent said i cant put a point forward, stated that unless i agree with certain people, everything must be positive, then its dismissed as a none genuine post unless im a reputable person.

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

hard facts, what quote figures from salford, london attendances. surely you can see that these teams have diminishing crowds this year without putting them on, and the fact that the one sided games on easter monday speak for themselves regarding squad depth/ quality. havent said i cant put a point forward, stated that unless i agree with certain people, everything must be positive, then its dismissed as a none genuine post unless im a reputable person.

yes I can

for the attendance figures you give to be meaningful, they have to be seen in the context of the entire season, in the context of events for instance the unseasonable weather, but most importantly they have to be part of a trend: this has been mentioned many times. Attendances are bound to fluctuate, but there has to be a trend upwards or downwards for this fluctuation to mean anything. For year on year in SL the trend has been upwards .

I'm still not clear how you can profess to having been prevented from posting your opinion, particularly in the context of you having just posted it, and indeed having just done so in this post.
Keeping it local

#58 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Where are your posts about how well the game is doing then? I seem to have misplaced them.

To me, and it might just be me, you look very much like the collection of doommongers that is only happy if the game is struggling.

This weekend is the perfect example. We had a great round followed by a bad round shortly after. Which of the rounds did you feel the need to comment on? I rest my case.

Edit: My point about those other posters was it is evident from their posts on a variety of other topics that they aren't just talking the game down out of some perverse enjoyment of doing so.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 03 April 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#59 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,006 posts

Okay, who are these people who say everything is positive?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#60 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Okay, who are these people who say everything is positive?

Anybody that doesn't think Nigel Wood is trying to destroy Rugby League.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users