Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

nigel wood bigging super league up and the game of rl

a round too early

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
200 replies to this topic

#61 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Where are your posts about how well the game is doing then? I seem to have misplaced them.

To me, and it might just be me, you look very much like the collection of doommongers that is only happy if the game is struggling.

This weekend is the perfect example. We had a great round followed by a bad round shortly after. Which of the rounds did you feel the need to comment on? I rest my case.

Edit: My point about those other posters was it is evident from their posts on a variety of other topics that they aren't just talking the game down out of some perverse enjoyment of doing so.

"perverse enjoyment of doing so" pretty extreme for someone who has already stated they want whats best for rugby league (not just super league) and has made a comment about squad depth/ quality and crowd reduction at certain teams. you state monday was a bad round, in your oppinion, ive questioned why and maybe the 2 points are linked, ie quality of teams on field and reduction in attendance.

and again im not someone who is a doom mongerer hoping and happy that the game struggles.

#62 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

"perverse enjoyment of doing so" pretty extreme for someone who has already stated they want whats best for rugby league (not just super league) and has made a comment about squad depth/ quality and crowd reduction at certain teams. you state monday was a bad round, in your oppinion, ive questioned why and maybe the 2 points are linked, ie quality of teams on field and reduction in attendance.

and again im not someone who is a doom mongerer hoping and happy that the game struggles.

Only you know your motivations, I'm talking in a more general sense although it must be said a lot of the doom-mongers don't see themselves as such.

There are genuine discussions to be had and the game has serious problems (although it always has had it must be said). However, your style is what has brought you ridicule. You haven't started a thread discussing some of the problems, you started one basically having a go at Nigel Wood for daring to suggest that Super League was good. Looking at your history, this is one of your first threads on the main forum. I'm sorry but this doesn't look like somebody with genuine concern, this looks completely like somebody trying to stick the boot in. Why focus on some of the teams with shocking crowds and focus on the blowouts, where are the balanced posts where you are praising something when it's good?

Whether you are or not, there are a number of people who are secretly hoping for the games demise just so they can be proved right. I would put Lobby into this category. He is a RL fan, but he is clearly watching the game hoping it will be a blow out with a low crowd because he thinks it somehow makes his point more valid.

When I used to write my blog I wrote one on why RL fans are so negative. I think it's partially a defense mechanism; when things look bad (which they often do in RL), some fans jump in and proclaim the games death so at least if it does happen then they get the small win of having been able to predict it.

#63 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Only you know your motivations, I'm talking in a more general sense although it must be said a lot of the doom-mongers don't see themselves as such.

There are genuine discussions to be had and the game has serious problems (although it always has had it must be said). However, your style is what has brought you ridicule. You haven't started a thread discussing some of the problems, you started one basically having a go at Nigel Wood for daring to suggest that Super League was good. Looking at your history, this is one of your first threads on the main forum. I'm sorry but this doesn't look like somebody with genuine concern, this looks completely like somebody trying to stick the boot in. Why focus on some of the teams with shocking crowds and focus on the blowouts, where are the balanced posts where you are praising something when it's good?

Whether you are or not, there are a number of people who are secretly hoping for the games demise just so they can be proved right. I would put Lobby into this category. He is a RL fan, but he is clearly watching the game hoping it will be a blow out with a low crowd because he thinks it somehow makes his point more valid.

When I used to write my blog I wrote one on why RL fans are so negative. I think it's partially a defense mechanism; when things look bad (which they often do in RL), some fans jump in and proclaim the games death so at least if it does happen then they get the small win of having been able to predict it.

you state that this is one of my 1st posts on the main forum, sorry for not posting a positive prior, didnt know that was a rule. ridicule for someone basically having an opinion, positive or negative, is pretty poor. glad you think this is ok, ok for also having a "style" that surely must offend.

Edited by usain bolt, 03 April 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#64 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Okay, who are these people who say everything is positive?

Nigel Wood!!!

#65 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

hard facts, what quote figures from salford, london attendances. surely you can see that these teams have diminishing crowds this year without putting them on,

What are the figures? Are they significant? Ask yourself why these may be and/or whose fault it is?
Some people in the past have assumed things to be worse, not wanted to provide evidence, then someone else has shown facts and proven then wrong. I remember dally messenger in here about 5 years ago proclaiming all mergers resulted in lower crowds. A throw away statement with no proof. It turned out Wests Tigers had bigger crowds than Balmain and West Magpies put together.
If you throw away a statement with nothing to back it up, you can't complain when people call you out on it. It's not up to us to do the research. It's up to you to put your point over.

and the fact that the one sided games on easter monday speak for themselves regarding squad depth/ quality.

The two coaches who disregarded the Easter schedule beforehand were the coaches of the two teams who suffered very heavy defeats. That brings about another issue for me. Not if squad quality, but of coaching intelligence.
At the end of the day, Leeds lost to Wigan by 50 points at home last year and won the league. Big scores can happen to anyone!

havent said i cant put a point forward, stated that unless i agree with certain people, everything must be positive, then its dismissed as a none genuine post unless im a reputable person.

If you're going to offer negative criticism with no positive feedback, you can't complain if you get it back.

In your opening post, you've criticised Wood for releasing a press statement bigging up the game because you don't agree. However, you've not offered anything in return. You've given a few reasons why you don't agree with him and just left it at that. It was a negative post that will always get negative reactions.

If you'd have finished off offering some kind of positive feedback/alternative on your negative criticism rather than just criticising for the sake of it, people wouldn't respond to you in the way they have. That doesn't mean everyone thinks the garden is rosey. That just shows that people WANT the garden to be rosey rather than just happy to be proven right if the game fails!
Posted Image

#66 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

you state that this is one of my 1st posts on the main forum, sorry for not posting a positive prior, didnt know that was a rule. ridicule for someone basically having an opinion, positive or negative, is pretty poor. glad you think this is ok, ok for also having a "style" that surely must offend.

Like I've said it's nothing to do with your opinion but if you expressed it like you did then you will get abuse. You hardly posted a detailed critique of Super League, you posted a two line doom-mongering part criticising Nigel Wood for being positive. It was classic doommonger.

Have you ever wondered why you don't like to comment on good aspects of the game like I don't know, the actual games themselves?

#67 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Like I've said it's nothing to do with your opinion but if you expressed it like you did then you will get abuse. You hardly posted a detailed critique of Super League, you posted a two line doom-mongering part criticising Nigel Wood for being positive. It was classic doommonger.

Have you ever wondered why you don't like to comment on good aspects of the game like I don't know, the actual games themselves?

to be honest i dont think the games are as good now, nigel wood bigging up something that its not,in my opinion, was a reason i posted. i looked at a reason why "i" think theres a down turn in some teams crowds and suggest maybe that the quality/ depth of squads maybe is a reason, and maybe playing 2 games in such a short turn around highlighted this. i did mention that there were 3/4 decent games, close maybe but some not so spectacular. yes big scores attract a lot of good trys but imagine being a fan of the team getting the hiding. not a spectical for them unless you appreciate the game as a whole and watch both teams efforts, something a lot of supporters dont do.

#68 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

to be honest i dont think the games are as good now, nigel wood bigging up something that its not,in my opinion, was a reason i posted. i looked at a reason why "i" think theres a down turn in some teams crowds and suggest maybe that the quality/ depth of squads maybe is a reason, and maybe playing 2 games in such a short turn around highlighted this. i did mention that there were 3/4 decent games, close maybe but some not so spectacular. yes big scores attract a lot of good trys but imagine being a fan of the team getting the hiding. not a spectical for them unless you appreciate the game as a whole and watch both teams efforts, something a lot of supporters dont do.

Nobody is arguing with your points rather the way you put them. Your original post had none of those points it is worth saying, you were clearly just ridiculing Nigel Wood for being positive. Everything since has been a retrospective backtrack. There is a big difference between coming on and starting a genuine discussion pointing out some of the problems and why you think they might be and one that basically translates as, 'everything is sh*t.'

It has been pointed out that 9 of the games were competitive, not 3/4. It has also been pointed out that the mismatches were a result of the short turn-around. I'm in favour of srapping the Monday games after this week but funnily enough I haven't felt the need to start a thread saying how ridiculous it all is and how it shows that Super League is really a pathetic competition that is on its last legs.

Also, you are still part of a strange breed of RL fans that think it is only worth pointing out how rubbish everything is. When you see a good game or see that Wigan have sold out against Saints why don't you discuss those?

#69 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Nobody is arguing with your points rather the way you put them. Your original post had none of those points it is worth saying, you were clearly just ridiculing Nigel Wood for being positive. Everything since has been a retrospective backtrack. There is a big difference between coming on and starting a genuine discussion pointing out some of the problems and why you think they might be and one that basically translates as, 'everything is sh*t.'

It has been pointed out that 9 of the games were competitive, not 3/4. It has also been pointed out that the mismatches were a result of the short turn-around. I'm in favour of srapping the Monday games after this week but funnily enough I haven't felt the need to start a thread saying how ridiculous it all is and how it shows that Super League is really a pathetic competition that is on its last legs.

Also, you are still part of a strange breed of RL fans that think it is only worth pointing out how rubbish everything is. When you see a good game or see that Wigan have sold out against Saints why don't you discuss those?

my opinion that 3/4 were good games, 9 may have been competitive, doesnt mean they were excellent spectacles, again my opinion. i havent stated how rediculous it all is or that super league is a pathetic competition on its last legs, you have.

#70 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Why do some of you bother,honestly,#### off to rugby union or soccer.Leave Rugby League to the people who love the game.

You support a bully boy side who couldn't fail if the RFL docked them 10 points before a ball is kicked every year. Of course you're happy. Give Joel Moon back to Salford for starters and I'll start to take you and your ilk seriously.

People (me included) are worried about the gulf between the top 5 or so sides and the rest. We pay our money and have that right. I love rugby league but consider SL to be moderately competitive at best, with seemingly unshiftable tiers. It's a frustration. You keep enjoying your increasingly hollow Grand Final wins. Leeds would be mid-table at best in NRL.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 03 April 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#71 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

my opinion that 3/4 were good games, 9 may have been competitive, doesnt mean they were excellent spectacles, again my opinion. i havent stated how rediculous it all is or that super league is a pathetic competition on its last legs, you have.

As I have said, I'm talking generally not just about you. Your post was definitely doommongering but there are plenty of others too.

What is ridiculous is that you are having a go at the different spectacles across 14 games when the most you could have watched is 6/7 and the real number is probably a lot less.

#72 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

You support a bully boy side who couldn't fail if the RFL docked them 10 points before a ball is kicked every year. Of course you're happy. Give Joel Moon back to Salford for starters and I'll start to take you and your ilk seriously.

People (me included) are worried about the gulf between the top 5 or so sides and the rest. We pay our money and have that right. I love rugby league but consider SL to be moderately competitive at best, with seemingly unshiftable tiers. It's a frustration. You keep enjoying your increasingly hollow Grand Final wins. Leeds would be mid-table at best in NRL.

So what that the NRL is better than Super League?

Do French soccer fans dominate their forums with how ###### their league is compared to the Spanish, German and British leagues?

#73 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Still sulking then are we.
I don't give a flying#### if you take me seriously or not,your petulant sulk after the Wigan game told me all I need to know.
I watch RL from my sons u11's side to internationals,so it's not just how well Leeds are doing that bothers me.
I can't give Joel Moon back to Salford,I don't have him.
I've loved every GF win but I've also enjoyed seeing the club in the bad times(of which their have been many)
I don't pretend that everything in the garden is rosy but I also don't constantly blame other clubs for my clubs failings.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 03 April 2013 - 12:32 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#74 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

As I have said, I'm talking generally not just about you. Your post was definitely doommongering but there are plenty of others too.

What is ridiculous is that you are having a go at the different spectacles across 14 games when the most you could have watched is 6/7 and the real number is probably a lot less.

not having a go at the different spectacles at all, depends what you class as spectacular however, but if you honestly think its good for rugby league what happened on monday, ie massive 1 sided scores in front of lesser crowds then it must be good. derbys are always gonna generate good crowds, good atmospheres and good days out for fans, especially if the sides competing are evenly matched, but these only come round a few times a season, its the other rounds that need bigging up and doing something about. mondays round of fixtures was far from a derby style round and basically was a fill in fixture after good friday. i still maintain squads arent good/ strong enough for 2 rounds so close together.

#75 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

I bet you weren't quite so vociferous when your lot signed Paul Cooke illegally.
This is how professional sport works. If your club can afford to sign someone, and that player accepts, then they can go. You say "give Joel Moon back", well maybe he doesn't want to bloody go back! It's not like he's a Salford product! They signed him from somewhere else!

People (me included) are worried about the gulf between the top 5 or so sides and the rest. We pay our money and have that right.

We also have the right to tell you that your suggestions are completely unfair and unworkable. If you keep repeating them, it won't make people think any different!

I love rugby league but consider SL to be moderately competitive at best, with seemingly unshiftable tiers. It's a frustration.

So Warrington have always been a top side? And Huddersfield? Didn't Wigan almost get relegated not long ago?
Only one side has done consistently well during SL, and they're hardly setting the world on fire at the moment!

You're just whinging incoherently.

keep enjoying your increasingly hollow Grand Final wins. Leeds would be mid-table at best in NRL.

If anything has shown up your character, it's this comment. If it makes you feel better to think that the team of a supporter who doesn't agree with you wouldn't be very good in a hypothetical situation, you go ahead and think that!
Posted Image

#76 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

not having a go at the different spectacles at all, depends what you class as spectacular however, but if you honestly think its good for rugby league what happened on monday, ie massive 1 sided scores in front of lesser crowds then it must be good.

So what do you suggest, baring in mind clubs need money?
I'd suggest the reasons for lesser crowds have more to do with certain clubs' individual circumstances than the quality/quantity squads have.
London - management failings for decades.
Salford - didn't sell season tickets until last minute, nearly went bust, are practically on a hiding to nothing this season.
Bradford - correct me if I'm wrong, but they no longer do the cheap season ticket deals and so are rebuilding again under a new owner?
Who else?

derbys are always gonna generate good crowds, good atmospheres and good days out for fans, especially if the sides competing are evenly matched, but these only come round a few times a season, its the other rounds that need bigging up and doing something about.

You've just criticised Wood for doing exactly that!

mondays round of fixtures was far from a derby style round and basically was a fill in fixture after good friday. i still maintain squads arent good/ strong enough for 2 rounds so close together.

They may not be good enough, but we're not in an ideal world where we can just drop fixtures.
Squads may not be good enough to play 36 week domestic seasons, and that could be why we're always so fatigued against the big sides, but we can't exactly just drop fixtures! It's professional sport!
Posted Image

#77 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I bet you weren't quite so vociferous when your lot signed Paul Cooke illegally.
This is how professional sport works. If your club can afford to sign someone, and that player accepts, then they can go. You say "give Joel Moon back", well maybe he doesn't want to bloody go back! It's not like he's a Salford product! They signed him from somewhere else!

Cooke moving from Hull FC to Hull KR was an example of a lesser club signing a bigger club’s star. A few more such moves and we might actually have the league Wood is talking about. How’s that for irony and a missed arrow?

Moon moving up the ladder fuels the fire of lopsided scorelines like Monday’s.

Comparing apples with pears.

#78 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Cooke moving from Hull FC to Hull KR was an example of a lesser club signing a bigger club’s star. A few more such moves and we might actually have the league Wood is talking about. How’s that for irony and a missed arrow?

Moon moving up the ladder fuels the fire of lopsided scorelines like Monday’s.

Comparing apples with pears.

Yet HKR didn't really improve with him in the side,blows that one out of the water doesn't it.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#79 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

So what do you suggest, baring in mind clubs need money?
I'd suggest the reasons for lesser crowds have more to do with certain clubs' individual circumstances than the quality/quantity squads have.
London - management failings for decades.
Salford - didn't sell season tickets until last minute, nearly went bust, are practically on a hiding to nothing this season.
Bradford - correct me if I'm wrong, but they no longer do the cheap season ticket deals and so are rebuilding again under a new owner?
Who else?

You've just criticised Wood for doing exactly that!

They may not be good enough, but we're not in an ideal world where we can just drop fixtures.
Squads may not be good enough to play 36 week domestic seasons, and that could be why we're always so fatigued against the big sides, but we can't exactly just drop fixtures! It's professional sport!

not in an ideal world, so leave it as it is an all will be ok, an we all live happily ever after.

#80 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

It must have been tough for Broncos fans to stomach last Thursday at Esher for sure and the wider game too. And on to Wire Monday. Yes they finished well beaten. But I noticed their line up there names like Channing, Krasniqi & Dixon all local kids too I think. The latter scored a splendid hat trick of tries against the Cup holders giving everyone down Hertfordshire way a real lift. Another two new names entered the fray Woodburn-Hall and Dollapi too. The reports said that the Broncos efforts early on encouraging.

Last August a school team from Surrey I understand won a Champions School age group Final at Wembley for the first time. Near to the capital this year the arrival of three new CC1 clubs. A poster on here was enthralled describing the win at Skolars and how it affected the fans down from Hemel for the occasion; all uplifting stuff.

A while back I was involved with a new SRLC set up in Cheltenham and played games at the Prince of Wales Stadium in the town. Last weekend for the All Golds opener against Oxford their one seated stand at this venue was full with near 400 or so excited spectators creating a super atmosphere. I prefer to look at all that; all the different strands about the game in that part of the world. Its doesn't mean that the Broncos haven't got real issues around them at all but the bigger picture has its story to tell too.

Edited by audois, 03 April 2013 - 01:11 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933