Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

nigel wood bigging super league up and the game of rl

a round too early

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
200 replies to this topic

#81 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

If this is the break up thread I hate to see what the make up thread is like. :D

But it's good to let off a little steam every now and then, but rather than draw a line in the sand or stick fingers in ears, listen to what posters on each side of the debate have to say.

Personally, I do think the blow-out scores highlight the gulf in squads, while anyone can beat anyone, it won't happen consistently. But I also think this is the first key indicator of where the abolishment of the under-20's side was a bad idea. And no I'm not just throwing dual-reg in there for a full house.

And as for Nigel Wood's statement, well that's plain old sod's law that it would melt all around into record scorelines.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#82 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

notice theres a "good things about super league popped up". dare anyone to put a bad things about super league/ rugby league thread up. id hope if one did go up then thered be more positives on the positive/ good things thread than negatives on the negative/bad things thread.

one thing that should happen and there would be lots of plusses and negatives would be how the negatives/ bad things are dealt with. the negatives need fixing whist the positives are maintained and built upon.

#83 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

notice theres a "good things about super league popped up". dare anyone to put a bad things about super league/ rugby league thread up. id hope if one did go up then thered be more positives on the positive/ good things thread than negatives on the negative/bad things thread.

one thing that should happen and there would be lots of plusses and negatives would be how the negatives/ bad things are dealt with. the negatives need fixing whist the positives are maintained and built upon.

I thought that was the staple diet for this forum.
Highlighting positive points about SL/RL are a rarity.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 03 April 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#84 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I thought that was the staple diet for this forum.
Highlighting positive points about SL/RL are a rarity.

would there be more positives than negatives, thats the question and how there fixed. depends on response and whos responding maybe.

#85 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

would there be more positives than negatives, thats the question and how there fixed. depends on response and whos responding maybe.

It seems the people who would post the positives are in the minority.

#86 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,813 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

w
ell you don't respond to simple questions so I'm not sure what you are saying.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#87 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

It seems the people who would post the positives are in the minority.

That is just perception. Most people are positive. There are often negative posts but the vast majority comes from a select few posters who try to shoehorn their often repeated argument into just about any thread they no matter how tenuous the link might be. It does not take much effort to find plenty of positive posts on here unless it involves the RFL.

#88 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

That is just perception. Most people are positive. There are often negative posts but the vast majority comes from a select few posters who try to shoehorn their often repeated argument into just about any thread they no matter how tenuous the link might be. It does not take much effort to find plenty of positive posts on here unless it involves the RFL.

True. Most people on TRL are positive. Unfortunately, most posts on here are negative.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#89 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

True. Most people on TRL are positive. Unfortunately, most posts on here are negative.

All this positive and negative talk. We need a scientist. Where's Bob8?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#90 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,774 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Cooke moving from Hull FC to Hull KR was an example of a lesser club signing a bigger club’s star. A few more such moves and we might actually have the league Wood is talking about. How’s that for irony and a missed arrow?

Moon moving up the ladder fuels the fire of lopsided scorelines like Monday’s.

Comparing apples with pears.

It's not at all.

What you are basically saying is big clubs aren't allowed to sign lower clubs players and lower clubs can sign who they like. So if a player is stuck at a lower club that they don't want to be at and has no chance if progressing, why on Earth would they continue with the game?

You can't complain about things being unfair and then suggest one rule for one and one for another. It's complete and utter hypocrisy.
Posted Image

#91 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

I dare gamble a large wad he wouldn't!

Correct Robin. For me to be positive about the game in general again the RFL need to change certain things about the way they run the game. I think enough people have read my comments on here before to know what they are.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#92 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

If Rugby League was doing well you wouldn't be on here.

Another one who thinks they know me. I watched all forms of RL from 1983-1995 and I attended many major events. I championed the game at every opportunity.

However from 95 onwards I have watched the game from amatuar level to championship level only, again I am sure you can work out why.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#93 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

1. No one on here has as far as I can tell has ever claimed everything in the garden is rosy so why the daft statement?
2. All we ever try to do is look forwards and upwards, not downwards and backwards.

1. Yes you do
2. Easy for someone who lives in a mansion to look forwards and upwards than someone on the streets.

#94 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

For me, the people who are so quick to shoot down people, who dont agree with them and Nigel Wood, should get a reality check and stop being so arrogant. We all love the game in our own way. No fan is bigger or better than the other. A number of people love the game, but are fed up with the administratiuon of it by Nigel Wood and co. Why does that make us any less of a fan? Nigel Wood and the RFL have done some good things. But he has let certain parts of the game down in our opinion. And the Championship has suffered. For certain posters they seem to get off on trying put down people who dont agree with them and in a high and mighty attitude. The forum is getting a place where a number of people have had enough with such attitudes. Personally it doesnt bother me. But its a shame certain people think its OK to speak down to others and claim they should not follow the game. Pathetic. We dont have to agree but least show some respect in some way.

Great post Lounge Room.

#95 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

1. Yes you do
2. Easy for someone who lives in a mansion to look forwards and upwards than someone on the streets.

1. yes I do what?
2. No it's not.
3. As Oscar Wilde, that famous son of Featherstone wrote, "We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

#96 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

1. yes I do what?
2. No it's not.
3. As Oscar Wilde, that famous son of Featherstone wrote, "We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

1. You always post as if everything is rosy in the garden and attack anyone who thinks otherwise
2. Without a doubt it is, how ridiculous of you to think otherwise.
3. The following is a quote that I like from a bloke called Hugo Claus, I don't have a clue who he is but it sums up the way I feel about the game. “I am a person who is unhappy with things as they stand. We cannot accept the world as it is. Each day we should wake up foaming at the mouth because of the injustice of things.

#97 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,813 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

1. You always post as if everything is rosy in the garden and attack anyone who thinks otherwise
2. Without a doubt it is, how ridiculous of you to think otherwise.
3. The following is a quote that I like from a bloke called Hugo Claus, I don't have a clue who he is but it sums up the way I feel about the game. “I am a person who is unhappy with things as they stand. We cannot accept the world as it is. Each day we should wake up foaming at the mouth because of the injustice of things.

Ian mate, the first two just aren't true.

as for injustice, who is deliberately doing anybody down here? is the RFL purposely trying to screw your club and the others who play in the same competition.
For its entire history the sp[ort has had to deal wit issues that no other sport has faced-from inside and outside. Doing things that you don't agree with or don't suit you personally is not the same as injustice.

I'm currently unhappy that the sport's premier competition doesn't have a main sponsor. There are vpeople in post who are paid to address these things. Even in these times there can ber many good excuses for that.

Honestly I really struggle with he idea that a game not being run in the way you would like is an 'injustice', especially considering some of the real injustices going on close to home and further afield.

Immorality, unfairness, injustice are words which should be used with care, especially in connection with people, even if you don't agree with what they are doing are actually doiung ther damndest with few if any advantages to keep the game alive.

I've hard of Hugo Claus.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#98 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's not at all.

What you are basically saying is big clubs aren't allowed to sign lower clubs players and lower clubs can sign who they like. So if a player is stuck at a lower club that they don't want to be at and has no chance if progressing, why on Earth would they continue with the game?

You can't complain about things being unfair and then suggest one rule for one and one for another. It's complete and utter hypocrisy.

All I'm saying is what I said in pre-season on here - namely that if we allow already successful clubs to cherry pick the best players from already unsuccessful clubs then we should expect blowout scores the like of which we saw on Monday. It's not "one rule for them" etc., simply about preventing success from breeding success. We reap what we sow. People are negative on this forum because there's much to be negative about.

If Hull KR had won the Grand Final last year then signed a high calibre centre like Moon from a shoestring competitor off the back of that success, I would be equally ashamed and embarrassed for the sport and any future success would be increasingly hollow. It's just classic bully boy stuff. What's the point of supporting a side like that? What point are you trying to make? It's no better than a 6 year-old kid 100 miles from Manchester following Man Utd because they win a lot. It's also deeply boring and bad for the league as a viewing spectacle. That's just me and I understand that different people want different things. Some want their little dynasties and to see their side fat-bellied and facing only half a dozen genuine arm wrestles a season. Such folk can't then complain when no sponsor worth its salt wants to touch our league with a bargepole.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 03 April 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#99 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

All I'm saying is what I said in pre-season on here - namely that if we allow already successful clubs to cherry pick the best players from already unsuccessful clubs then we should expect blowout scores the like of which we saw on Monday. It's not "one rule for them" etc., simply about preventing success from breeding success. We reap what we sow. People are negative on this forum because there's much to be negative about.

If Hull KR had won the Grand Final last year then signed a high calibre centre like Moon from a shoestring competitor off the back of that success, I would be equally ashamed and embarrassed for the sport and any future success would be increasingly hollow. It's just classic bully boy stuff. What's the point of supporting a side like that? What point are you trying to make? It's no better than a 6 year-old kid 100 miles from Manchester following Man Utd because they win a lot. It's also deeply boring and bad for the league as a viewing spectacle. That's just me and I understand that different people want different things. Some want their little dynasties and to see their side fat-bellied and facing only half a dozen genuine arm wrestles a season. Such folk can't then complain when no sponsor worth its salt wants to touch our league with a bargepole.

Could it be that the successful clubs have actually worked hard to be successful and players from other clubs want some of that,would you not want to improve yourself in your chosen field.
Time you woke up and smelled the coffee.

#100 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

FACTS-
1 rugby league is still the greatest sport in the world and will always survive
2 sl doesnt have the quality players in depth it had 10+ years ago
3 many years of clueless governing bodies have u just watched ru show how it should be done
4 money has ruined most sports in the modern era
5 lesuire time activitys and sports choices have never been more
6 95% of the british public dont know the difference between league and union
7 sl is in limbo and needs something new like a massive multi million pound cross code challenge with lots of bad blood and mouthing and nastiness surrounding the build ups soo style
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users