Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tom Hemingway

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Another superb game with the boot today; second in a row. Not sure he should make way for Moore's return next Sunday.

Discuss.

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Me neither he has grown into his role and difficult to slot moore in! However moore needs some gametime and gateshead is a good opportunity to see where he is at imo

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 doggystyle

doggystyle
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

i think jk will rest ben black on sunday it will be the game after when he,ll have a dilema

#4 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hemingway has improved over the season and I really do rate him but I do think we are better going forward with black and Moore together. Just my opinion. Better to be spoilt with too many good players though haha.

#5 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Agree that Black should be rested for the cup tie to give Moore a start. After that maybe JK might think about Hemingway at 13??

#6 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

My only criticism of Hemingway is his reluctance to take the line on. He showed in the (York match at home I think it was???) that he has the pace to do it and could be effective at running at the line. When Flanagan broke up the middle early in the game, Hemingway backed him up and ran 40 meters to score and no-one got near him. I just wish he'd have the confidence perhaps to use it more.

I might be being totally unfair on the lad, and that might be JK instructions to him to just distribute the ball, but every time he gets it he never seems to draw his man by running at the defensive line and committing a defender, he just seems to fire the pass out. Again I may be wrong on this and it might be just me, but I can't remember him ever running and taking defenders on by going for the gap and having a dart.

I'd get Moore back in. In terms of using Hemingway at 13, I don't think you can leave Ash out TBH. Ash was arguably our MOM against Hunslet, and we don't half miss him for breaking tackles and his work rate.

I've never been Ash's biggest fan, but I am warming to him. I'd much rather have a ball handling 13 or another big tackle buster in the pack in his place, but in the last couple of seasons, I'd bet Ash is somewhere near the top of the tree in terms of line-breaks and certainly up there in terms of defensive work so I don't think you can leave him out TBH. I thought we really missed him at Donny.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 02 April 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#7 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hemingway is getting more and more impressive every week and scored a very quick-witted try yesterday. Personally, I think it would be very harsh for him to be left out at the minute. His kicking has come on a bundle and in the last two games he has put the platform in place for us to win matches. Moore, like all our players now, needs to fight his way into the squad and then fight to stay there, just like Hemingway has had to do. It's a great headache for JK to have.

#8 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

hes improving every game. why leave him out now? that would be a mistake IMO. moore isnt a much better player,if at all.... but its a good problem to have!...

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

The benefits of a reliable kicker should never be underestimated as we know to our cost across the valley.

:unsure:
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

The benefits of a reliable kicker should never be underestimated as we know to our cost across the valley.

:unsure:

Aye, but its' not really a factor in this debate. Both are very reliable and match winning kickers.

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thing is it's the performance of the team overall and not that of individuals that matters. Despite all of our misgivings or otherwise about his performances l am sure JK is delighted with his role in the team. GM has an excellent kicking game but that requires playing into form.
Anyway as said, it's a bit of a conundrum but a good one nonetheless.

#12 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

Done ok at 9 for haven last season

#13 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Done ok at 9 for haven last season

I think he would definitely be third in line for a place as a hooker!

#14 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Ye He's not getting in at 9

#15 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hemingway is getting more and more impressive every week and scored a very quick-witted try yesterday. Personally, I think it would be very harsh for him to be left out at the minute. His kicking has come on a bundle and in the last two games he has put the platform in place for us to win matches. Moore, like all our players now, needs to fight his way into the squad and then fight to stay there, just like Hemingway has had to do. It's a great headache for JK to have.

I quite agree it would be very harsh to drop him, his kicking won us the points against Halifax and has been excellent in general. I would still drop him though, as harsh as it is, but then again I'm no JK. The problem is, it is very difficult for a halfback to play themselves in to the team. I can't see how JK could ease Moore back in to form or the squad from the bench, like you would, say a forward, spelling them in odd games. The idea of having a half back on the bench when we are rotating hookers would surely mean too much time on the park for the forwards to get adequate rest to be effective.

So barring injury to either Hemingway or Black, or one of them having an absolute shocker, (which to be fair neither really looks like having) Moore could be out in the cold for some considerable time to come. It is a really tricky situation, Hemingway has not done anything wrong, far from it really, personally I wish he'd run more and it is only a minor gripe, especially given the fact we have only lost 1 game this season and played 2 of the top sides. If Hemingway is lacking confidence, and that is the reason for his reluctance to take the line on, dropping him would not help him one iota and only shatter his confidence further. Maybe the answer would be to rotate the halfbacks like the wingers? It is risky though and can upset the flow of the team.

#16 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

The Press reports that Moore will be playing this weekend with Black rested. Also Johnson in for Greenwood.