Karl Pryce

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

I think its pretty apparent that for any club relegated to the abyss at the end of this season life will be near impossible . we think that financial survival for any club relegated will be unachievable . All the championship clubs income this season is down on forecast and all the clubs are struggling to pay the bills ,including those whose supporters are full of bellicose verbosity .

In a nut shell.We have the ability in this young side to avoid the Abyss.However it is a young side and its clear their struggling in confidence.We need to play our part and give them maximum support,otherwise a bad run becomes free fall.The alternative is in the above post.

#42 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

I think its pretty apparent that for any club relegated to the abyss at the end of this season life will be near impossible . we think that financial survival for any club relegated will be unachievable . All the championship clubs income this season is down on forecast and all the clubs are struggling to pay the bills ,including those whose supporters are full of bellicose verbosity .

Then surely (cue response from BSJ), it's time to bring in Oldham and Rochdale from the cold and pull up the drawbridge on the championship, create a separate expansion league sponsored by the RFL and give clubs a chance to battle through the recession. This would still allow those clubs with (over)ambition to pursue their dream, while taking the pressure off the strugglers - I include us in that category by the way, although that isn't the reason I am suggesting the idea. The bottom line is, that as squeaky bum time approaches, the vulnerable clubs will almost certainly be tempted to have one last expensive and possibly ruinous throw of the dice. Effectively this is what SL have already done, so why not the championship. I doubt the new and expansion clubs, playing in their own competition, would be affected, if the RFL were providing financial support. Maybe those expansion clubs could be reviewed for inclusion every three years or so (some will be one season wonders anyway) and replace those championship clubs that have gone out of business - as some will. Over to you johnny. ;)

#43 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

The Rams have far too much quality to go down, barring a ridiculous injury crisis, or a bunch of players departing mid season. I'd be very surprised if you weren't in the top 8 at the end of the year.

Although I felt we (Batley) were in control for the majority of the game on Monday after the first 10 minutes, you certainly have enough good players to trouble any side in this division. You just lack a bit of confidence as a unit at the moment I think personally. Hopefully, a good win against the amatuers this weekend will help a little with that. As well as getting back Jones and Hepworth to beef up your pack, so the 10 minutes stints of Aizue and Gallagher arent quite as damaging to the overall game plan. Not to mention Craven, who is one of the best backs in this division.

It must be frustrating for you guys after such a positive start where expectations subsequently rise, but you've got to remember you've had a complete overhaul of your squad with a number of inexperienced players drafted in, and that it's GM's first year as a Head Coach regardless of his pedigree as a player. Staying up is all that matters, you can build on that next year. I suspect this time next month you may have a couple more league victories under your belt, and things will start to look a little rosier.

It's only 4/5 years since we were struggling at the bottom of the league, and with hard work both on and off the field, we've completely turned it around as a club. No reason why Dewsbury cant start to do the same if the commitment and work ethic is there.

Keep the faith.

#44 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

The Rams have far too much quality to go down, barring a ridiculous injury crisis, or a bunch of players departing mid season. I'd be very surprised if you weren't in the top 8 at the end of the year.

Although I felt we (Batley) were in control for the majority of the game on Monday after the first 10 minutes, you certainly have enough good players to trouble any side in this division. You just lack a bit of confidence as a unit at the moment I think personally. Hopefully, a good win against the amatuers this weekend will help a little with that. As well as getting back Jones and Hepworth to beef up your pack, so the 10 minutes stints of Aizue and Gallagher arent quite as damaging to the overall game plan. Not to mention Craven, who is one of the best backs in this division.

It must be frustrating for you guys after such a positive start where expectations subsequently rise, but you've got to remember you've had a complete overhaul of your squad with a number of inexperienced players drafted in, and that it's GM's first year as a Head Coach regardless of his pedigree as a player. Staying up is all that matters, you can build on that next year. I suspect this time next month you may have a couple more league victories under your belt, and things will start to look a little rosier.

It's only 4/5 years since we were struggling at the bottom of the league, and with hard work both on and off the field, we've completely turned it around as a club. No reason why Dewsbury cant start to do the same if the commitment and work ethic is there.

Keep the faith.

Thanks for that Nick07, it sums up my thoughts exactly.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#45 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Then surely (cue response from BSJ), it's time to bring in Oldham and Rochdale from the cold and pull up the drawbridge on the championship, create a separate expansion league sponsored by the RFL and give clubs a chance to battle through the recession. This would still allow those clubs with (over)ambition to pursue their dream, while taking the pressure off the strugglers - I include us in that category by the way, although that isn't the reason I am suggesting the idea. The bottom line is, that as squeaky bum time approaches, the vulnerable clubs will almost certainly be tempted to have one last expensive and possibly ruinous throw of the dice. Effectively this is what SL have already done, so why not the championship. I doubt the new and expansion clubs, playing in their own competition, would be affected, if the RFL were providing financial support. Maybe those expansion clubs could be reviewed for inclusion every three years or so (some will be one season wonders anyway) and replace those championship clubs that have gone out of business - as some will. Over to you johnny. ;)

OK.

How exactly would Oldham and Richdale improve our position? Their derby attracted just over 600 spectators and I can't see that there would have been many more if they were in our division.

The RFL doesn't have buckets of money despite what some people believe - any surpluses that they generate above their budgetted projections are actually distributed amongst all of the member clubs every year, and this generally doesn't account fior much. Getting money into RL is a tough act at the moment (unlike RU it seems, and that's a whole different debate) so the idea that they can simply conjure up some cash to "sponsor" the Championship is frankly laughable. (You may not have noticed but SL doesn't actually have a sponsor yet this year.)

Separate leagues aren't the problem (and nor are they the answer), the real issue is the whole image of RL at many levels. For a whole host of reasons we fail tp project an exciting, inclusive, family-friendly image to the public at large, making it extremely difficult to attract new spectators. (Some say that the miserable old gits who already watch the game don't help, but I reject that out of hand.) Sad to say but those who have already deserted the game are the hardest to persuade to return. Add into this mix the lack of spare cash, especially in "traditional" areas and we do have something of a desparate situation for the sport as a whole, not just DRLFC.

:-(

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#46 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

I agree that we do have a lot of quality in the side but so do all the clubs in this division and it will not be easy to maintain a top 8 position. Troubling sides is all well and good but that won't keep us in the division. Our style of rugby this season is no better than it has been for the last few years, in fact it's worse. I feel GM has to get really tough and forget the inexperienced/new team fallback excuse. It is very non motivational and needs to be discarded. This squad has been together now for 6 months and should be on the upgrade.

Highlights so far this season:-

2nd half Haven home

Fev home

The rest, although we picked up some points, has been mind numbing. Even the six nations looked good.

Keeping the faith is wearing thin in these troubled times.

Edited by YOUNG UN, 04 April 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#47 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Think the issue is how any of these new clubs would hope to compete in CC.

#48 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Think the issue is how any of these new clubs would hope to compete in CC.

KPC.

Just saying!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#49 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Keep the faith.

Just about sums my thoughts up.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#50 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Sounds like he's not getting any better  :(

#51 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sounds like he's not getting any better  :(

He isn't, he wasn't any good yesterday neither.

#52 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

He isn't, he wasn't any good yesterday neither.

It seems it doesn't matter how poor he plays he will always get picked. He's even playing with an injury. But then again he doesn't get paid unless he plays!

#53 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

It seems it doesn't matter how poor he plays he will always get picked. He's even playing with an injury. But then again he doesn't get paid unless he plays!

You wouldn't think he was playing when we're in attack, stands at the other end of the field doing nothing at all.

#54 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

You wouldn't think he was playing when we're in attack, stands at the other end of the field doing nothing at all.

He probably knows that nothing is going to happen.

:jester:

Clearly it is time for changes and KP is one who needs resting.

As an aside if he is dropped/rested does that mean that our performances will improve sufficiently or will it then be time to single out another player for criticism?

Just asking!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#55 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

As an aside if he is dropped/rested does that mean that our performances will improve sufficiently or will it then be time to single out another player for criticism?

Just asking!

I hope Pryce doesn't play against York and that GM puts Craven in at full-back

#56 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I hope Pryce doesn't play against York and that GM puts Craven in at full-back

You're not answering my question Eddie!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#57 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

I believe if Pryce was to be dropped/rested and Craven was to play at full-back then we'd have a better chance of beating York

#58 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Just asking!

I don't really think it would be.

#59 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I believe if Pryce was to be dropped/rested and Craven was to play at full-back then we'd have a better chance of beating York

I agree think Craven is excellent, in fact if Greenwood goes next season, Craven would be welcome at the Mount ;)

#60 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

I agree think Craven is excellent, in fact if Greenwood goes next season, Craven would be welcome at the Mount ;)

Didn't think you had any money to sign players  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users