Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Its not just the players!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

After reading another thread and about the crowd and how it lifts the team, we must have one of the best home gates in the league but must have one of the quietest crowds around. I remember a few seasons ago we had a big group of teenagers who used to go to the games and they used to keep the crowd going for most of the game. and the atmosphere was brilliant,now were drowned out by a handful of away fans most weeks!
If the crowd makes that much difference then we need to be in voice for 80 mins also not just when were told to from the announcer!

I know were not doing brilliant at the moment , and im sure the anticipation that echos round the ground when the high ball goes up towards our full back , who ever it is at the time can sense this which put them under more pressure, in all fairness you could say we(the crowd) are our own worst enemy !! some how we need to get the message out to the terraces to make plenty of POSITIVE NOISE and see what happens even the BARROW......BARROW chants are a wet effort, it seems to me that most of the crowd just go for a few pints and a crack as though its a tradition and there just happens to be a rugby game on at the time!

We all know we`ve got a good team , if Holty can control a team on the pitch them im sure him and Aky can control them in training and the dressing room.
What we need to remember is most of this team are from local Amateur teams ,the problem is we had some very good players a few seasons ago when des was around, and the team has changed dramatically but people still expect the same results.

yes it hurts me every week to see us loose especially when it cost me and the wife a lot of money to watch them as it does a lot of others, but if we can stay up even by the skin of our teeth, and the floodlights can be paid for then things at craven park will start to change for the better.

We`ve a lot on our plate this season lets just get behind the team make plenty of noise at the games and give them the boost of a positive crowd that believes in them

#2 bluenwhite9

bluenwhite9
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I do agree, IMO the walney vs askam Final had a better feel to it an this is no exaggeration. Maybe the win yesterday will spur the team and the fans on to be more positive. I hope so anyhow.

#3 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

After reading another thread and about the crowd and how it lifts the team, we must have one of the best home gates in the league but must have one of the quietest crowds around. I remember a few seasons ago we had a big group of teenagers who used to go to the games and they used to keep the crowd going for most of the game. and the atmosphere was brilliant,now were drowned out by a handful of away fans most weeks!
If the crowd makes that much difference then we need to be in voice for 80 mins also not just when were told to from the announcer!

I know were not doing brilliant at the moment , and im sure the anticipation that echos round the ground when the high ball goes up towards our full back , who ever it is at the time can sense this which put them under more pressure, in all fairness you could say we(the crowd) are our own worst enemy !! some how we need to get the message out to the terraces to make plenty of POSITIVE NOISE and see what happens even the BARROW......BARROW chants are a wet effort, it seems to me that most of the crowd just go for a few pints and a crack as though its a tradition and there just happens to be a rugby game on at the time!

We all know we`ve got a good team , if Holty can control a team on the pitch them im sure him and Aky can control them in training and the dressing room.
What we need to remember is most of this team are from local Amateur teams ,the problem is we had some very good players a few seasons ago when des was around, and the team has changed dramatically but people still expect the same results.

yes it hurts me every week to see us loose especially when it cost me and the wife a lot of money to watch them as it does a lot of others, but if we can stay up even by the skin of our teeth, and the floodlights can be paid for then things at craven park will start to change for the better.

We`ve a lot on our plate this season lets just get behind the team make plenty of noise at the games and give them the boost of a positive crowd that believes in them

we need someone to start the chants off and well volunteered Drewjak.

i'm sure the crowd will back you up.

you could be like that bloke the Barmy army has who sings at the front and the rest follow.

#4 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

, it seems to me that most of the crowd just go for a few pints and a crack as though its a tradition and there just happens to be a rugby game on at the time!

I couldn't disagree more!
Perhaps it's that the majority of the crowd go to actually watch what happens on the pitch.
Personally, I go to watch a rugby match.
If we do something well I will cheer & applaud with the rest, if we do something wrong I will voice my disapproval.
I also have the good grace to applaud the opposition for any moves or effort that I think deserves it.
What I have never done and never will is waste my breath with mindless repatative chanting.

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#5 Deep

Deep
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

I think we need to change the music that is played when we score a try or kick a goal it has become boring, perhaps each player can pick their favouite tune then if they score it can be played, just an idea.

#6 bluenwhite9

bluenwhite9
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Stupid idea at that

#7 bluenwhite9

bluenwhite9
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

I've got a better idea.. What about Gary salts version of the killers? Score a try kick a goal rugby leagues in our soul, barrow barrowwwww barrrrrrow raiders, nananaaanaaaaaaa

#8 Deep

Deep
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

May be stupid but it got the reaction I wanted, that was for the fans to use their imagination and come up with some ideas, I'm glad you took the bite.

#9 bluenwhite9

bluenwhite9
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Joking aside I would actually like to see a bit of a change around the ground on a match day. Bring back the raideretts

#10 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't go to HS these days but do listen to match commentaries. The constsnt vocal support you can hear over the air is far better than most of the noise that comes from CP. Barring the last 5 minutes of yesterday that is.
Mind you soccer is so boring you've got to sing and jump around to keep warm LOL

Posted Image

#11 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

I think you will find that all pro rugby players start as amateurs so there is no point using that as an excuse for losing matches. the fact that they have signed pro means they are good enough they just need to prove it.

#12 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

I think you will find that all pro rugby players start as amateurs so there is no point using that as an excuse for losing matches. the fact that they have signed pro means they are good enough they just need to prove it.

Whilst players may have played amateur in their junior years, most players now are being recuited by clubs when they are 13-14, and stay in that system until they are released or make the breakthrough. These players can be 19yrs old and still never have played against 'grown' men since the current academy system is undoubtedly flawed and would benefit to a return to the old A-team / alliance format. Take Danny Jones, or Sean Casey for example, released by Saints and Leeds respectively at the end of last season, will have played in the academy up till that age against lads his own age with maybe the odd exception of players returning from injury, all of a sudden he's faced with players who are 10+ yrs older than him and battle hardened. Youth only counts so much

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#13 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

we need someone to start the chants off and well volunteered Drewjak.

i'm sure the crowd will back you up.

you could be like that bloke the Barmy army has who sings at the front and the rest follow.

If i thought for one minute they would i would do it if i was the right person , but im sure there are more flamboyant personalities with better leadership/compare skills than me :D

I think we need to change the music that is played when we score a try or kick a goal it has become boring, perhaps each player can pick their favouite tune then if they score it can be played, just an idea.

Couldnt agree more very aged and boreing hardly livens people up

Joking aside I would actually like to see a bit of a change around the ground on a match day. Bring back the raideretts

Again couldnt agree more, lets make halftime fun -_-

Edited by drewjak, 03 April 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#14 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

In response to Drewjaks original posting on this thread,our fans were making plenty of noise over at Keighley last Friday, i can assure you. Surprising what a couple of hrs of ''preloading'' and then another few before and during the game can do for your vocal chords!!.. Our fans are no different to the majority of other fans of The Clubs outside Superleague in that they tend to make more noise away from home than on their own patch, . Probably something to do with being the minority as well as, in many cases but not all i may add, the amount of alcohol consumed. I am in no doubt whatsoever that there will be quite a few Leigh Miners Fans ''making a day of it'' this coming Sunday.

Edited by STW, 03 April 2013 - 10:01 AM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#15 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

In response to Drewjaks original posting on this thread,our fans were making plenty of noise over at Keighley last Friday, i can assure you. Surprising what a couple of hrs of ''preloading'' and then another few before and during the game can do for your vocal chords!!.. Our fans are no different to the majority of other fans of The Clubs outside Superleague in that they tend to make more noise away from home than on their own patch, . Probably something to do with being the minority as well as, in many cases but not all i may add, the amount of alcohol consumed. I am in no doubt whatsoever that there will be quite a few Leigh Miners Fans ''making a day of it'' this coming Sunday.

agree with your point of alcohol fuelling singing.
if only we had some saturday evening matches...........

#16 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

agree with your point of alcohol fuelling singing.
if only we had some saturday evening matches...........

thats my kind of thinking mate...