TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Taking Inspiration From Sheridan

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Although i have been watching Hornets since the early/mid eighties, i thought i would tap into the knowledge of more, errrrr....... Mature Hornets fans and open a debate about who was the best Rochdale lad to ever play for Hornets. Personally i cant see much further than Karl Marriott. But racking your brains. Whos been the best Rochdale lad to play for his home town team?

My top 3 -
1. Karl Marriott
2. Chris Hilton
3. Emon Ratu (just nudging John Stapelton out)

Others from my time - Durrant, Diggle, Garside.
Was Shaun Hoare a Rochdale lad? I know he had a shop near Falinge Flats, but not sure of his hometown.

And i am sorry adopted Rochdale lads like Cowie (Todmorden) Hall (Oldham) & Calland (Widnes via Oldham) cannot be counted!

And any memories would be good as well.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#2 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Was Tony Gourley a local lad? I think he ran the buffet on Rochdale station at one time. He was a good prop who always gave 100%. He played for us the seventies I think before moving to Fulham.

Another prop who may have been a Rochdale lad was Peter Birchall.He was another 100% player. I remember him scoring against Leeds when he had the ball near the line and sold a great dummy and went through the gap to score. We won and it made my day as I taught in Leeds so didn't have to suffer the usual stick.

The trouble is I can think of several players who lived in Rochdale but unsure if they were born and bred here. I think Mick Baxter was a local lad. He was a top class loose forward in the sixties who I thought was international material. I think an injury ended his career early but he would have my vote as he was real class on his day.

Other players who may "qualify" are Norman Breslford and David Taylor but not sure.

Edited by Pedro, 02 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#3 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Wayne English ,Wayne Corcoran, Chris Storey, Andy Duffy, Glen Banks, Tony Hilton, Paul O'Keefe, Tony Allen to name a few more !

Edited by Ghostbuster, 02 April 2013 - 04:47 PM.

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

#4 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Good topic Fillipo

I liked Paul O'keefe also can't believe no one mentioned club starlwart Steve "ticker" Turner who I see on his daily walk around Syke

Some cracking Rochdale lads already named in this thread

Couple more to mention Lee Wilson, Neil Ramsden, Paul Higginson, Sam Butterworth

Edited by Snoopy Loopy, 02 April 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#5 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Was Tony Gourley a local lad? I think he ran the buffet on Rochdale station at one time. He was a good prop who always gave 100%. He played for us the seventies I think before moving to Fulham.

Another prop who may have been a Rochdale lad was Peter Birchall.He was another 100% player. I remember him scoring against Leeds when he had the ball near the line and sold a great dummy and went through the gap to score. We won and it made my day as I taught in Leeds so didn't have to suffer the usual stick.

The trouble is I can think of several players who lived in Rochdale but unsure if they were born and bred here. I think Mick Baxter was a local lad. He was a top class loose forward in the sixties who I thought was international material. I think an injury ended his career early but he would have my vote as he was real class on his day.

Other players who may "qualify" are Norman Breslford and David Taylor but not sure.

Damm, i thought this thread was about my favorite actress Sheridan Smith.

Posted Image

A little on Tony Gourley, i remember him playing for Salford against us at the Athletic grounds, and scoreing. My little voice from out of the crowd shouting, a pity you didnt do that when you were here Gourley. He was a very good player for the Hornets when he was with us.
He had a very bad break to the jaw when he was with Salford.
He allso had a chippie on Oldham Road for a time.
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#6 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

Damm, i thought this thread was about my favorite actress Sheridan Smith.

Posted Image

A little on Tony Gourley, i remember him playing for Salford against us at the Athletic grounds, and scoreing. My little voice from out of the crowd shouting, a pity you didnt do that when you were here Gourley. He was a very good player for the Hornets when he was with us.
He had a very bad break to the jaw when he was with Salford.
He allso had a chippie on Oldham Road for a time.

Tony still has a chippy in Shawclough village & an old school pal married his daughter.
As for the Sheridan Smith picture A nice little pick me up
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#7 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

And there's more!................John Stapleton Andy Duffy Ian Moores John Donovan Robert Whitemoss Brett Garside
RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#8 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Sam Butterworth was a great player

#9 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Colin Simkins;
Steve Prime;
Jason Diamond;
Kent Sutton;
Nigel Crabtree

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 10 April 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#10 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Colin Simkins;
Steve Prime;
Jason Diamond;
Kent Sutton;
Nigel Crabtree

Steve Prime, I played with him for Mayfield back in the day. Hard as nails. He even scared me. Still see Stevie knocking about. Top fella
Phil Bull.

#11 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Was Steve Prime a roofer?
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#12 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

I dont think so, Prime Roofing Rochdale are a stand alone company
Phil Bull.

#13 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Graham Starkey

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 15 April 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#14 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Peter Rush
Bob Hollis
Wayne Horton
Colin Simkins
Brett Garside

#15 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

Brian Kettleton

#16 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

Geoff "Budgie" Brierley
Ralph Hilton
Norman Hallsall

#17 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi Lakeside. I seem to remember a player called Ralph Hilton who played at the same time as John Fishwick. I think he took over from John Chisnall as stand off. Is that who you mean or am I thinking of the wrong person?

#18 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yes the same era it will have been Ralph Hilton, great era for Rugby League

#19 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Barry Ashworth, Johnny Summers, Peter Reilly, Mick Mcguigan 

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

#20 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

Barry Ashworth, Johnny Summers, Peter Reilly, Mick Mcguigan

I seem to remember Michael Mangan with Jason Clegg being paraded on the pitch just after coming back from a BARLA tour. Did Micky ever actually pull on a Hornets shirt? Even in the A Team? He was a fantastic talent up at Mayfield
Phil Bull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users