Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who's first in at Red Hall this week ?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Is it Ryan Bailey, Elliot Whitehead, Travis Burns is there any others who merit being up before the panel from this weekends games ?

#2 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Brian McDermott ?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#3 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Brian McDermott ?

Were you slightly bemused by his comments like me? The answer to his rant was surely stop your players giving silly penalties away.

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Were you slightly bemused by his comments like me? The answer to his rant was surely stop your players giving silly penalties away.

Not sure which Journo type tweeted this but at a press conference before the team flew out (it could have even been before the Bradford game) he was asked about the Catalans game and how he thought Leeds would get on and he replied "Well if you want me to be controversial, we wont win the penalty count".

To be fair its hard to defend Leeds yesterday, and Im not going to, nearly every penalty was deserved so no complaints from me.

Although his comments should be looked at in a more general view, I dont think he was specifically saying that Leeds were hard done to, but that the facts over the last few years show that Catalans receive the most penalties in SL.

If that is a fact then is it not worth investigation? I always seem to hear Catalans staff moaning that they are hard done to by officials, so is this at away games? If so, does anybody know if its true that Catalans receive a disproportionate amount of penalties at home?

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Not sure which Journo type tweeted this but at a press conference before the team flew out (it could have even been before the Bradford game) he was asked about the Catalans game and how he thought Leeds would get on and he replied "Well if you want me to be controversial, we wont win the penalty count".

To be fair its hard to defend Leeds yesterday, and Im not going to, nearly every penalty was deserved so no complaints from me.

Although his comments should be looked at in a more general view, I dont think he was specifically saying that Leeds were hard done to, but that the facts over the last few years show that Catalans receive the most penalties in SL.

If that is a fact then is it not worth investigation? I always seem to hear Catalans staff moaning that they are hard done to by officials, so is this at away games? If so, does anybody know if its true that Catalans receive a disproportionate amount of penalties at home?

I was under the impression that catalans always thought they were hard done by at home.
As to first in at red hall,surely It's got to be Bailey,he has a regular seat,apparently. ;)
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#6 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was under the impression that catalans always thought they were hard done by at home.
As to first in at red hall,surely It's got to be Bailey,he has a regular seat,apparently. ;)

Well if thats true then the facts really dont bear that out then!

Im keeping quiet about Bailey, he actually has a very good disciplinary record and based on previous disciplinary results this year I reckon a one match ban may be all he gets.

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Im keeping quiet about Bailey, he actually has a very good disciplinary record and based on previous disciplinary results this year I reckon a one match ban may be all he gets.

Then cue the wailing and gnashing of teeth.Everyones favourite panto villain shouldn't be anywhere near a rugby field if some are to be believed.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 02 April 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#8 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

You are right on both counts, if you look at the sending off offence all he is guilty of is a late shoulder charge no contact was made to the head at all. Now the first offence is completely different.

#9 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

we all know he is a thug, he just keeps getting away with it i think this time he will cop it good.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#10 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

I was amused more than bemused. I don't know if he has a point, but I thought voicing it on telly, or out loud to any media, was perhaps inviting the RFL to act. Or, maybe he is so sure of his facts, or the media guy he spoke to said, I'll break this if you don't say it, and quote you (now there's one for the gossips) .....and, he is certain that the RFL dare not open the can of worms ?

T'other half made a comment that if they do get more at home, they seem to get very little away. I don't know, are there stats kept ? All I know about penalties is that it infuriates me when commentators and fans say they should be even, or that they are unfair if they are deemed heavier on one side. Get your discipline sorted and you'll be on the 'right' end of them.

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#11 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Re Bailey, 1 or maybe 2 at most . He should have gone for 10 in first half, would have calmed down and maybe second event wouldn't have happened. His run up to the alleged head contact shows his intentions IMO, he was never going to tackle, he had one intention, a big hit. The fact that he ballsed it up shows his technique is all wrong.

#12 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ryan Bailey is up for two charges: a Grade C and a Grade B reckless striking (whatever that means!). We also have Eorl Crabtree with a Grade B dangerous throw, Travis Burns with a Grade B high tackle (although he is injured so does he get away with that or serve it once he is fit again?) and Justin Carney with a Grade C dangerous throw on Paul Wellens. That appears to be it for Superleague.

(Information obtained via the official superleague Twitter account)

Edited by Saintslass, 02 April 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#13 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

The Bailey 'hit' (I don't want to dignify it with the word 'tackle') reminded me of the one by Bousquet on Fages, earlier this season. Both had intention, the only question is whether Bailey actually made contact with the head. Bousquet certainly did, and got a three game ban on an early guilty plea, iirc. I think Bailey is definitely looking at a one or two game ban.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

The Bailey 'hit' (I don't want to dignify it with the word 'tackle') reminded me of the one by Bousquet on Fages, earlier this season. Both had intention, the only question is whether Bailey actually made contact with the head. Bousquet certainly did, and got a three game ban on an early guilty plea, iirc. I think Bailey is definitely looking at a one or two game ban.

I would imagine he will get at least three. He is up for two charges and isn't allowed to make an early guilty plea for the Grade B, which carries a 1 to 2 match ban. I would imagine he will get the full two matches for that as it came within the same game as his previous offence which, as a Grade C, carries a 3 to 5 match ban doesn't it? Either way I would imagine he will get away with three matches, which is a mockery of the word 'discipline' given that he committed two potentially very dangerous offences within the same match and was sent off.

No doubt his coach will be moaning about referees again.

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

I would imagine he will get at least three. He is up for two charges and isn't allowed to make an early guilty plea for the Grade B, which carries a 1 to 2 match ban. I would imagine he will get the full two matches for that as it came within the same game as his previous offence which, as a Grade C, carries a 3 to 5 match ban doesn't it? Either way I would imagine he will get away with three matches, which is a mockery of the word 'discipline' given that he committed two potentially very dangerous offences within the same match and was sent off.

Probably.

#16 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Grade C is 2-3

#17 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Ryan Bailey is up for two charges: a Grade C and a Grade B reckless striking (whatever that means!). We also have Eorl Crabtree with a Grade B dangerous throw, Travis Burns with a Grade B high tackle (although he is injured so does he get away with that or serve it once he is fit again?) and Justin Carney with a Grade C dangerous throw on Paul Wellens. That appears to be it for Superleague.

(Information obtained via the official superleague Twitter account)

Burns ban will start this week irrespective of whether he is fit or not

#18 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Burns was a red card all day long shocking "attempt" at tackling. Is that how he did his shoulder karma springs to mind piece of ###### him

#19 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I dislike Ryan Bailey intently. He is dirty and a coward and somehow protected from the disciplinary time after time. In this case, however, I think sending off was more than sufficient. It looked horrible in slow motion but not so bad in real time - I also don't think he was aiming at the head.

Right, I'm off for a lie down.
People called Romans they go the house

#20 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

I think his challenge in the first half was worse than the one he got sent off for!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users