Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Law Query: Location of Penalty

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Whilst at the Warrington vs London match yesterday, conservation within our cold, bored and uninspired group turned to a couple of law queries.
Here's number one...

A Team A player is penalised for a high tackle on a Team B player right next to the touch-line.
This makes it virtually impossible for Team B to gain any ground from the kick to touch due to the proximity to the touch line.

Are Team B allowed to move infield to take the kick to touch - as I think would happen for a penalty if a player is dragged into touch?
(Not the resultant tap which is always on the 20m (?) line these days, but the initial kick to touch.)

And yes, that's how cold, boring and uninspiring it was.

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Think everything is moved in 10m from touch tbh.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have a similar query. Twice this weekend we got sixth-tackle-turnover possession inside our own 10-metre line. The play-the-ball was played where the last tackle was completed. I thought the ptb was always moved to the 10m line in such cases; is this not the rule?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have a similar query. Twice this weekend we got sixth-tackle-turnover possession inside our own 10-metre line. The play-the-ball was played where the last tackle was completed. I thought the ptb was always moved to the 10m line in such cases; is this not the rule?

The PTB only moves to the 10m line when an attacker has been held up over the line.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

The PTB only moves to the 10m line when an attacker has been held up over the line.

Cheers

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Penalties in the field of play are taken where they were committed, or in the case of offside, where the player should have been (i.e. on the defensive line). Penalties near the touch line are no different. Penalties committed in the in-goal are moved to the 10m line.

Edited by tim2, 02 April 2013 - 04:01 PM.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#7 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Penalties in the field of play are taken where they were committed, or in the case of offside, where the player should have been (i.e. on the defensive line). Penalties near the touch line are no different. Penalties committed in the in-goal are moved to the 10m line.

Just to be clear, the mark for penalties is where they are committed or as you describe, but they can be taken anywhere behind it parallel with the touch lines, so a player cannot take the ball sidewards in-field to gain an advantage.

#8 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Of course, you can move a penalty mark back towards your own line, and the defenders have to stay on their original line (they can't advance to keep the 10m gap) unless the guy taking the penalty opts for goal, in which case he is making a new mark.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#9 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

Of course, you can move a penalty mark back towards your own line, and the defenders have to stay on their original line (they can't advance to keep the 10m gap) unless the guy taking the penalty opts for goal, in which case he is making a new mark.

This is something that the players should learn - its frustrating to see a team within 10 metres of the line kicking the ball backwards to create space for their attack, when they can just retreat from the mark and keep the opposition on the line.

#10 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

or if the attacking team knock on

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

or if the attacking team knock on

Eh ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Whilst at the Warrington vs London match yesterday, conservation within our cold, bored and uninspired group turned to a couple of law queries.
Here's number one...

A Team A player is penalised for a high tackle on a Team B player right next to the touch-line.
This makes it virtually impossible for Team B to gain any ground from the kick to touch due to the proximity to the touch line.

Are Team B allowed to move infield to take the kick to touch - as I think would happen for a penalty if a player is dragged into touch?
(Not the resultant tap which is always on the 20m (?) line these days, but the initial kick to touch.)

And yes, that's how cold, boring and uninspiring it was.

No the kick/tap will be taken from where the penalty is awarded. You can go backwards in a direct line from there but not sideways. If you do kick to touch obviously the tap from that will move in field.

#13 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Eh ?

I think he's right if the attacking team knock on on the last 1m from the oppositions line it would be a handover on the ten. If it was on any other tackle it would be scrum on the ten.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I think he's right if the attacking team knock on on the last 1m from the oppositions line it would be a handover on the ten. If it was on any other tackle it would be scrum on the ten.

Ah - right.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#15 Nomad XIII

Nomad XIII
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Correct. Basically, if the handover comes after a team is tackled 6 times, the play-the-ball happens wherever in the field of play the last tackle occurred. If the handover comes after 5 tackles and a knock-on/forward pass (ie normally a scrum, but handover on the last), the play-the-ball is a minimum of 10 metres from the goal-line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users