Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Law Query: The New Interpretation of the Advantage Rule

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yesterday, London knocked on approximately 20 metres short of the Warrington try-line.

Warrington collected the ball and made about 70m, only to commit their own knock-on just short of the London try-line.

Silverwood then took play back 70m for the original offence.
Is there a case for the referee to ask the captain whether he wants to go back and have possession where the original offence took place or continue play with the opposition having to bring the ball back off their own line?

(We also think in-goal officials should be allowed to wear fluffy pink and blue quartered onesies to keep warm during such inclement weather and keep a flask tucked in the top of the post protector.)

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Even if you asked, I'd rather have possession 20m from our goal than let the opposition have the ball 20m from theirs.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 kapow

kapow
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

This should never be called back...

You've made 70m - you've had the advantage. It's your fault that you've knocked on.

#4 babbysyed

babbysyed
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

It sounds like Silverwood played this one right.

Its the new law this season, Warrington used their "free play" and as there was no tackle to come, play goes all the way back.

Its taken discretion out of the referees hand.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

I like it. It's a play where anything can happen. Safe, "percentage" plays are out of the window.

#6 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

This should never be called back...

You've made 70m - you've had the advantage. It's your fault that you've knocked on.

Agreed...there must come a point when the ref can call "advantage over"

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Agreed...there must come a point when the ref can call "advantage over"

Yes, it's the next tackle.

#8 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Im still waiting for teams to come to terms with this, Ive not seen anyone really chuck the ball about knowing they will get it back if it all goes wrong. Its the perfect time to try off the cuff, flamboyant, never say die rugby. Most of the time so far its seen a prop forward hoof the ball upfield!

Not sure if Wire made 70m by doing the above but if so then good on them! it can be a very long advantage but i quite like the idea of it, but only if the teams start to use it more wisely!

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Agree. It could be played much better and smarter.

#10 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

What happens if Warrington throw the ball around on their free play, London legitimatley intercept the ball and score?

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

What happens if Warrington throw the ball around on their free play, London legitimatley intercept the ball and score?

No advantage. Warrington scrum on the 20.

#12 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm still mixed on it. I like the day of basically giving teams a free tackle to do something but I've seen teams pulled back 70 odd metres after trying something speculative and it does seem a bit silly.

From what I've heard Union have something similar when a penalty is given although the referee can still call advantage over.

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

It's just one tackle.

#14 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

I like it, didnt at first, but watching teams try something which they wouldnt usually attempt adds something to the game.

Cummins Out.

#15 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

I do agree its a bit odd that a team could go 100m, drop the ball over the line and then travel all the way back to their own tryline to get the ball back having deemed no advantage!

But its one tackle, its up to the teams what they do with it.

Rather than force a pass after travelling 99m, they could just get take the tackle and have 6 tackles on the opposition line, having made all those metres with off the cuff, risk free rugby.

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

How clear do the RFL/clubs attempt to make new rules to the players? Is it down to purely coaching staff at clubs, as when this rule was enforced at Catalan vs Leeds the other day the ref had to explain it for a fair few players. You'd think coaches would want their team to be aware of something that could change the game quite drastically
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ian Smith was at pains to discuss and explain it at our first game.

#18 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

How clear do the RFL/clubs attempt to make new rules to the players? Is it down to purely coaching staff at clubs, as when this rule was enforced at Catalan vs Leeds the other day the ref had to explain it for a fair few players. You'd think coaches would want their team to be aware of something that could change the game quite drastically

To be fair I think with it being a new rule sometimes instinct takes over and the players just plain forget!

#19 kapow

kapow
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Yes, it's the next tackle.

So you run 70m, get over the line, no opposition players are within 30m and you bobble putting the ball down...

Play gets called back to your 30m and you get the ball?

Ridiculous.

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

So you run 70m, get over the line, no opposition players are within 30m and you bobble putting the ball down...

Play gets called back to your 30m and you get the ball?

Ridiculous.

Can't say I agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users