Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Agecroft

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

On the thoughts that someone mentioned earlier on the club re. buying the club from the owners, what exactly is there to buy?

Used to be a shareholder in the club. The only thing worth buying last time was the tallest rugby posts in he country with the crowns on....think they went to Eccles.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#42 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

My dad made the post tops when he was an apprentice at gerrards.

#43 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

I think the subject of buying the club was more to do with people putting their money where their mouth is.

I do think as a collective group if someone had the time, patience, and  thick enough  skin to drive this idea forward then it would be possible.

I did suggest that people could start this ball rolling by joining the trust and making a contribution on a monthly basis

This has been an option for many years. It would be a start. It would also give people a sense of belonging again and a place to get involved and try and get their own ideas implemented.

I haven`t got any of the above attributes but I do contribute financially as does my dad.

It really is easy to spend hours on here having a good rant. It is possible to get involved with the trust in much less time. 

#44 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

My dad made the post tops when he was an apprentice at gerrards.

My dad was the wages manager at gerrards and they of course used to provide jobs to swinton players. I got my shares in the original club through my dad through someone at gerrards... Unfortunately, The shares, my dad and gerrards long gone now.

#45 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think my grandad was one of the managers at gerrards too a john caine, he used to find the players jobs, in my opinion it all went downhill when it changed to farcloughs then amec. As for the post tops last time i heard cousin mike still had a couple of them, maybe if/when we get a new ground putting them back on the top of some posts would be a nice touch.

Edited by juliancaine, 20 April 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#46 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think my grandad was one of the managers at gerrards too a john caine, he used to find the players jobs, in my opinion it all went downhill when it changed to farcloughs then amec. As for the post tops last time i heard cousin mike still had a couple of them, maybe if/when we get a new ground putting them back on the top of some posts would be a nice touch.

I think you are right and it would be great (a small piece of station road) Those blue crowns were an abiding memory of station road. Small things like that matter and prove that it is people like us that can keep the history and legacy of the club alive.

#47 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Failing getting the original post tops back on i'll make some new ones if need be, carry on the family tradition and all that, also if i was in charge i'd make the new grounds post's the tallest in rugby league again and if possible the tallest rugby posts in the world, if anything it would get us in the record books and people all over talking about us, as far as i can remember the post tops were raffled off when the ground was being dismantled i bought a couple of tickets, didnt win any our mike got two i think so we could do with finding out whom has the other two, my dad some where has pics of himself making the tops and from recollection he told me the posts were made out of norwegian spruce and the tops made out of solid oak. A positive ish post from me at last.

Edited by juliancaine, 21 April 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#48 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Ps forgot to add my dads got pics somewhere of the team at SWINTON town hall with himself holding the league cup? aloft.

#49 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

I think we've got some grass in our back garden from the Station Road pitch...it doesn't really compare to the above though!

#50 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

The current tallest posts are at Wednesbury RUFC in the Black Country. I've seen them up close and they are huge - way bigger than the old Station Road Giants. If you look left when you're driving north up the M6 by the RAC centre at Walsall, you can just about make them out. The traffic is usually at a halt there, so you often get time to spot them beyond the marshalling yards.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#51 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think the subject of buying the club was more to do with people putting their money where their mouth is.

I do think as a collective group if someone had the time, patience, and  thick enough  skin to drive this idea forward then it would be possible.

I did suggest that people could start this ball rolling by joining the trust and making a contribution on a monthly basis

This has been an option for many years. It would be a start. It would also give people a sense of belonging again and a place to get involved and try and get their own ideas implemented.

I haven`t got any of the above attributes but I do contribute financially as does my dad.

It really is easy to spend hours on here having a good rant. It is possible to get involved with the trust in much less time. 

Absolutely Mark, and I'm as guilty as the next man, allowing my Trust membership to lapse.

I don't think the Trust ever did get their shareholding back though after the club went into administration in 2007 - despite reassurances at the time, both at a public meeting at the Masonic Hall and ahead of a members vote, that it would be transferred and an equivalent proportion of shares allotted in the new company.

I think that the pre-2007 company had one board member appointed as a representative of the Trust, who held a substantial share of the club until a huge purchase of shares were made by Blue Lion Holdings, who ultimately became the majority shareholder.

Edited by Jonty, 22 April 2013 - 10:53 AM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

#52 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Absolutely Mark, and I'm as guilty as the next man, allowing my Trust membership to lapse.

I don't think the Trust ever did get their shareholding back though after the club went into administration in 2007 - despite reassurances at the time, both at a public meeting at the Masonic Hall and ahead of a members vote, that it would be transferred and an equivalent proportion of shares allotted in the new company.

I think that the pre-2007 company had one board member appointed as a representative of the Trust, who held a substantial share of the club until a huge purchase of shares were made by Blue Lion Holdings, who ultimately became the majority shareholder.

I think regardless of the Trusts standing as a shareholder  it does give people who are not happy at the present situation an option/opportunity as described in my post above. 

I don`t understand shareholdings or administration or any of the ways business works. 

I just think it would help

#53 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

The current tallest posts are at Wednesbury RUFC in the Black Country. I've seen them up close and they are huge - way bigger than the old Station Road Giants. If you look left when you're driving north up the M6 by the RAC centre at Walsall, you can just about make them out. The traffic is usually at a halt there, so you often get time to spot them beyond the marshalling yards.

You don't need to stand nearby to see these absolutely colossal giants. Just go on Google maps and view either by satellite or Street view. I remember the Station Road giants all too well, they were truly majestic. They came from Norway about 1960.

BUT, yes BUT they really are dwarfed by the skyscraping foursome at the Wednesbury RUFC ground on Woden Road North in Wednesbury near the M6. They are so tall that they must be bordering on the ridiculous. Seeing really is believing here.

http://maps.google.c...26901&t=h&hl=en

#54 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

They are huge, thats taking the p***
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#55 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

No shortage of pitches in Wednesbury, you wouldn't have to play outside the town if your ground was sold from under you there.

#56 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

It may only be a scrap of information but on a thread entitled "Agecroft" I thought it should not go unmentioned.

Posted today on the Swinton website:-

"The Lions are pushing to secure planning permission to move to a new development at the Agecroft site in Swinton"

#57 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

I saw it too. I couldn't be bothered mentioning it. Good news seems an unwelcome subject.

#58 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Ditto, noticed the doom mongers have not expressed their delight in multiple paragraphed diatribes.  Personally I think its excellent news and shows how little all those in the 'know' actually know.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#59 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

I think the whole article is excellent news and to see the club contacting Swinton High and their link primary schools to involve the kids is fantastic stuff!

Posted Image

#60 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

That's very good news - great to see the community coaches building relationships in M27. It can only be a positive thing for the profile of the club in it's priority area.

disques vogue