Photo
- - - - -

07/04/13 - Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves - KO 6.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Leeds Rhinos (11 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. Warrington Wolves (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

This is why I never thought Warrington looked like winning. You can throw out all the - admittedly impressive - stats you want, but if you are making more meters than Leeds then dropping the ball before you get a chance to deploy your set play then it's irrelevant (which you allude to to be fair to you). Leeds were more clinical with the posession they had, and that's been the case in their last three matches. In the Leeds/Bradford match at one point the 'Key Performance Indicators' showed the Bulls should have been winning by a couple of scores when they were behind!  

You watch Wire more often than me, so you know what they are capable of, but going statsless and watching the flow of the game, I've seen enough RL for it to seem to me they were never destined for the two points. I will freely admit that Leeds weren't all that - although I am always willing to admit that, so might not be worth too much! ;)

:D

I have no issues with views of the likes of yours and Hindle's - I have issues with the experts who were using every superlative under the sun to describe Leeds' performance, which the coaches went on to describe as no more than 'solid'. McDermott wasn't happy and Smith was not far off critical of Leeds, saying that McDermott was being polite with his comments.

Next scene - cut to O'Connor saying 'Leeds were exceptional'.

#122 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Fair enough! I agree there. Ryan Hall's two tries were world class but that's about it. Like I said, Wire scored a couple I wouldn't exactly get tired of either.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#123 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Both teams were poor.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#124 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

On Peacock, he is 3rd on the Metres chart (only 24m off top) behind Brett Kearney and Liam Farrell but has played 2 games less. He made over 200m against Catalan last week too. Having a full off season for the first time since he was 22 has really helped his game IMO.

How would this run on England pack look?...

Graham
Roby
Peacock
Ellis
Westwood
Sam Burgess

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#125 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Both teams were poor.

I think poor may be slightly harsh - neither were at their best.

I do however think their defences and some of their attacks were good enough to beat many of the teams around them quite comfortably - it just wasn't at the level we were hoping for from these teams I think.

#126 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think poor may be slightly harsh - neither were at their best.

I do however think their defences and some of their attacks were good enough to beat many of the teams around them quite comfortably - it just wasn't at the level we were hoping for from these teams I think.

Yeah,you're right.I agree with your point about the OTT commentary and "analysis".

#127 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

No arguments from me about how well Peacock is playing, quite awesome (even though he should actually have penalised for being offside for that forward pass in the first half!).

The concern from an England perspective is that he is still advanced in years and appears to be playing massive minutes every week. Will he still have anything in the tank come November?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#128 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Peacock has retired from International rugby.

#129 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Peacock has retired from International rugby.

Indeed, but Harrigan posed the question and if he keeps up this form it would be interesting.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#130 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Indeed, but Harrigan posed the question and if he keeps up this form it would be interesting.

Yes it would but Peacocks resurgence of form could be down to not playing the last round of Internationals.he also turned down an opportunity to work with Mcbanana in a coaching capacity in the England setup.

#131 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yes it would but Peacocks resurgence of form could be down to not playing the last round of Internationals.he also turned down an opportunity to work with Mcbanana in a coaching capacity in the England setup.

quite

#132 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Actually, I didn't post the question. I did say his resurgence this year was to do with his full off season. I just thought his form, coupled with the chance to win the only thing he never has may be too big of an opportunity to miss.

#133 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

I agree with much that has already been written. I watched with the sound off, so cannot comment on the Sky commentary, save that it seems to me that as a matter of course they come up with an approach to a particular game, and stick with it regardless of the evidence. So, if they have decided Leeds were excellent, then nothing that see would shake them from that view. They are from the Dennis Moran school of playing what's in front of you.

It seemed to me, without any particular emotional engagament in either side, that Leeds looked comfortable winners from around the midpoint of the first half, without playing that well. My over riding impression of Warrington was a lack of oomph. Leeds seemed to contain their forwards with ease, which in turn meant that their halves weren't able to play to their off the cuff strengths. Of course, it is hard to read anything into that at this stage, as we don't know where the respective teams are in their training for the season. Some food for thought for Smith. I am sure I am not alone in concluding that Hodgson has perhaps gone on a season too long, but on the plus side Joel M showed a turn of speed I doubted he had.

Finally, on Leeds, if we can find a way to fit Hardaker and Sam in the same team we should do. Perhaps we could play 2 3 2 in the backs rather than boring old 1 4 2? Peacock is immense - he will know himself whether he can sustain this form and do a job in the World Cup. If he decides to have another go, I'd be delighted. Leeds' last 2 performances have been pretty good, though playing one few game than their opponents leading into them may have been a factor (and might explain Wire's forwards apparently more leaden legs).

I enjoyed it. I like the Sunday evening slot far more than Saturday.

#134 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

I agree with much that has already been written. I watched with the sound off, so cannot comment on the Sky commentary, save that it seems to me that as a matter of course they come up with an approach to a particular game, and stick with it regardless of the evidence. So, if they have decided Leeds were excellent, then nothing that see would shake them from that view. They are from the Dennis Moran school of playing what's in front of you.

It seemed to me, without any particular emotional engagament in either side, that Leeds looked comfortable winners from around the midpoint of the first half, without playing that well. My over riding impression of Warrington was a lack of oomph. Leeds seemed to contain their forwards with ease, which in turn meant that their halves weren't able to play to their off the cuff strengths. Of course, it is hard to read anything into that at this stage, as we don't know where the respective teams are in their training for the season. Some food for thought for Smith. I am sure I am not alone in concluding that Hodgson has perhaps gone on a season too long, but on the plus side Joel M showed a turn of speed I doubted he had.

Finally, on Leeds, if we can find a way to fit Hardaker and Sam in the same team we should do. Perhaps we could play 2 3 2 in the backs rather than boring old 1 4 2? Peacock is immense - he will know himself whether he can sustain this form and do a job in the World Cup. If he decides to have another go, I'd be delighted. Leeds' last 2 performances have been pretty good, though playing one few game than their opponents leading into them may have been a factor (and might explain Wire's forwards apparently more leaden legs).

I enjoyed it. I like the Sunday evening slot far more than Saturday.

Hard to disagree with too much of that - apart from the fact that the Wire forwards, with their leaden legs, made more metres per carry than Leeds' forwards. Jamie Peacock aside, Wire's forwards did a solid job apart from the 5 handling errors.

Hodgson is a funny one - he has always had errors in him, but I think without Briers we don;t see Hodgson joining the line on the back of precision passes - tbh this is where he and Atkins are struggling in general play IMHO.

I think Monas had a touch of help as Sinfield for some reason decided to wipe out McGuire who had the best chance of catching him!

On the positive, Briers has been ruled fit to make a comeback in the coming weeks. 

Edited by Dave T, 08 April 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#135 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

One more point on the stats (yep - I know, I'm a geek) - but Jamie Peacock is showing some of his best form of his career at the moment IMHO.

When you look at the combined efforts of the forwards for both teams:

Metres - Leeds 709 v 667
Carries - Leeds 128 v 111
Ave Carry - Wire 6m v 5m

When you look at Peacock's Stats individually he made an unbelievable 185m from 27 carries. Leeds' next best forward was Leulai with 97m from 16 carries, which is a very good effort.

The bloke is a beast, and the importance of Peacock, Hall and then Sinfield's kicking can;t be overstated.

I think he intimated lastnight that he may be rested for the next game.Lastnight he tweeted that he was spent and had nothing left in the tank
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#136 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Reading League Express and the Albert Goldthorpe points for that game were; 3 points. Ryan Hall, 2 points. Zak Hardaker, 1 point. Stefan Ratchford.

I don't think we'll see a Happy Harri... I think he just exploded!

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#137 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

It's Peacock's fault. He's playing consistently great so the idiots who pick the points don't notice him standing out. It's just another Peacock performance ;)

That being said, Hall finished his 2 try's brilliantly and Hardaker showed why he is one of the best young players in the country. It's just a shame 25+ hit ups, 190m and 30+ tackles every week doesn't get you more recognition.

#138 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#139 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Reading League Express and the Albert Goldthorpe points for that game were; 3 points. Ryan Hall, 2 points. Zak Hardaker, 1 point. Stefan Ratchford.

I don't think we'll see a Happy Harri... I think he just exploded!

Forwards get scant recognition in the AGM though.

Putting Leeds to one side, I thought Warrington's best performers in order were:

1) Grix

2) Higham

3) J Monaghan

4) Ratchford.

#140 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Regarding stats, the team metres made needs to be understood in context. Leeds pretty much spent the entire first half in Warrington territory - the scope to make huge metres was limited.

I have an ongoing issue with Phil Caplan's Albert Goldthorpe points awards - apart from consistently getting them wrong (in my opinion) he also is permanently keen to demonstrate he isn't biased. So Leeds will win 50-0 with the opposition having a universal mare and he will still find scope to give one of the places to the losing side. As long as he is Leeds correspondent there won't be a winner from Headingley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users