Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

07/04/13 - Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves - KO 6.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Leeds Rhinos (11 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. Warrington Wolves (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Regarding stats, the team metres made needs to be understood in context. Leeds pretty much spent the entire first half in Warrington territory - the scope to make huge metres was limited.

I have an ongoing issue with Phil Caplan's Albert Goldthorpe points awards - apart from consistently getting them wrong (in my opinion) he also is permanently keen to demonstrate he isn't biased. So Leeds will win 50-0 with the opposition having a universal mare and he will still find scope to give one of the places to the losing side. As long as he is Leeds correspondent there won't be a winner from Headingley.

#142 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,180 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Regarding stats, the team metres made needs to be understood in context. Leeds pretty much spent the entire first half in Warrington territory - the scope to make huge metres was limited.

I have an ongoing issue with Phil Caplan's Albert Goldthorpe points awards - apart from consistently getting them wrong (in my opinion) he also is permanently keen to demonstrate he isn't biased. So Leeds will win 50-0 with the opposition having a universal mare and he will still find scope to give one of the places to the losing side. As long as he is Leeds correspondent there won't be a winner from Headingley.

Maybe - but the majority of their ptb's in the 2nd half were in their own half.

I agree about the AG points, I don't like the award at all tbh.

#143 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

The award is good in theory but if you have the same person reporting on the same teams week after week as League Express often does then there is a danger of it being unduly affected by that. (and yes I know Gareth Walker wrote the report for Sunday's game but it is almost always Phil Caplan).