Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What would you like to see on a revamped TotalRL.com?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,104 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'd also install a minimun word count.

And an instant ban for anyone resorting to internet clichés... :P

+1
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

+1

:rolleyes: That's how the Nazi's started...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

If you do revamp hope its not offline for long

It's the www.totalrl.com bit of the site we're mainly looking at revamping, rather than the forum, so it shouldn't be offline at all... (famous last words, I know :unsure: ) That's not to say we can't add bells and whistles to the forum as well. It already has plenty built in that we don't use, but possibly could in future.

Keep the suggestions/ideas coming! :)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#24 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

To be honest I only ever go to the totalrl.com page by accident - when I was aiming for forums and missed. It never strikes me as a page to stick around for.

That's what we'd like to remedy in future. What would make you want to look at the home page more often? In particular, stuff that you think we could do on TotalRL.com that doesn't just replicate things that can easily be found on other websites.

If we know what people would like to see on the home page/main site, we can work out if and how we can begin to provide it. :)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#25 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Could you perhaps put a section on the homepage relating to the Photography Competition thread and cover

1) Rules of the competition in Bleep language
2) Details of how to post images for L'ang

thanks
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#26 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Maybe just an automatically-regulated daily limit on certain words and phrases, i.e. farce, joke, heads must roll, kick in the teeth. Once a poster's allocation is used up, he will have to actually think of something to say or log off 'til the next day. ;)

Hey, we're trying to boost traffic on the site, not kill it off. ^_^

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

That's what we'd like to remedy in future. What would make you want to look at the home page more often? In particular, stuff that you think we could do on TotalRL.com that doesn't just replicate things that can easily be found on other websites.

If we know what people would like to see on the home page/main site, we can work out if and how we can begin to provide it. :)

Boobies.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

I must have missed the discussion on it but it just seemed to disappear overnight. I thought it provided good feedback about whether people agreed or not without their having to reply. I can see why some didn't like it but then again it was really difficult to not have a positive score, you really did have to be doing something wrong.

Maybe they should replace it with a negativity bar. Then we can all see which posters just write negative claptrap all day long.

I'm a bit wary of bringing back the 'reputation' bar. Never say never, but last time we used it, it did seem to be used almost as a bullying tool against certain posters, whose posts on any topic whatsoever were being regularly marked down for no particular reason. I'm not sure I like that aspect of it at all. I think it is fairly easy to work out quite quickly whose posts you enjoy reading and whose posts just annoy you on here, without having a reputation bar which is rendered meaningless anyway if people don't use it fairly. I'll take some convincing on this one!!

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#29 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

a) Rep points
B) See Hindle's point about B)
c) The swear filter to replace naughty words with other words, and this to include terms like 'farce', 'joke', 'blowout', 'inept', 'Nigel Wood's lunch' etc.
d) The international forum to be re-integrated back into this one
e) A new forum for threads to be put into once The Parksider gets a hold of them
f) More rugby threads

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#30 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm a bit wary of bringing back the 'reputation' bar. Never say never, but last time we used it, it did seem to be used almost as a bullying tool against certain posters, whose posts on any topic whatsoever were being regularly marked down for no particular reason.

Is there not a simple positive rep point feature,to recommend/like a certain post a la Facebook/most newspaper comments functions?

Edited by Just Browny, 03 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Is there not a simple positive rep point feature,to recommend/like a certain post a la Facebook/most newspaper comments functions?

Yep, leave the negatives to the doom-mongers like on the Nigel Wood thread. We're the positive peeps.

Woo! High-5, yeh!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,104 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

This is rugby league. There's not much that can be found on other websites really is there? And what there is seems to be a "here and now" news type approach.

Just steal the Joy of Six, Best of YouTube and a few other things from the Guardian blogs and I'd be happy.

But a stats page. Anything *at all* that brings to life the history and technical sides of the game. And anything written without any of the Grumpy Sourpuss mood that the game's journalists use as their default setting.

And no cheesy headlines.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

This is rugby league. There's not much that can be found on other websites really is there? And what there is seems to be a "here and now" news type approach.

Just steal the Joy of Six, Best of YouTube and a few other things from the Guardian blogs and I'd be happy.

But a stats page. Anything *at all* that brings to life the history and technical sides of the game. And anything written without any of the Grumpy Sourpuss mood that the game's journalists use as their default setting.

And no cheesy headlines.

Loathe the cheesy headlines.

I camembert them.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

In terms of the website as it stands, I’ve viewed the main TRL site as a glorified shopfront for LPL for a longtime. Nothing wrong with that – it’s necessary in this day and age, but it isn’t really a place to go for “content”. Having spent a few minutes on there I notice there are a couple of Martyn’s columns on there - so there is content, but it’s being lost under all the subscription ads for your mags. When you log on, that isn’t going to jump out at you which is a shame.

I would like to see more regular blog type content, maybe more in the “preview” style like TRL was when it was a newspaper = of upcoming games and the like, stuff that isn’t always in the LE. Maybe a few “best of..” posts – I know you aren’t going to start putting all the content online for free, but maybe on a Wednesday/Thursday put up the best column in that week’s LE as a taster, allowing for more comment/debate. Maybe even a “right to reply” section written by a fan in response to one of the columns. Same with RLW, at the end of the month, one of the hot topic columns goes online. I know this has been dabbled with in the past on the site, but it’s frustratingly irregular.

I think TRL as a site needs to figure out exactly what it is – is it LPL’s online store? Is it an online extension of LE and RLW where people can get more on what’s in the latest issues? Is it its own brand that should be taking on LoveRL et al? At the moment it’s kind of all of those, without really being any of them. I guess you guys must be aware of these issues, but at the moment the strongest aspect of TRL has been the forums and the website itself is kind of irrelevant (to me anyway), and has been for a half decade or more. For the amount it’s promoted in LE it doesn’t really have much to show for it, or any reason to visit – bar the forum.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#35 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Stats would be good*, also some things you can't get on other sites, like, when I joined this forum I was able to download a SRLFC style wallpaper, maybe some of those, either generic RL or Club specific (with permission of course).

*Stats would have to be retrospective of SL and include all 3 pro-leagues, maybe even the Conference, games played/Tries/Goals/Drops both for the club the player is currently playing for, previous clubs, and rep games, maybe also include All club games since 1895, and each week include a section on how each team has done against this weeks oposition since they entered the league. Now wouldn't that be a stats site?

I agree with AA, above that the site in general is just an advert for LP stuff & if it wasnt for the forums, I wouldn't come on here at all.

Edited by Bleep1673, 03 April 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#36 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'm a bit wary of bringing back the 'reputation' bar. Never say never, but last time we used it, it did seem to be used almost as a bullying tool against certain posters, whose posts on any topic whatsoever were being regularly marked down for no particular reason. I'm not sure I like that aspect of it at all. I think it is fairly easy to work out quite quickly whose posts you enjoy reading and whose posts just annoy you on here, without having a reputation bar which is rendered meaningless anyway if people don't use it fairly. I'll take some convincing on this one!!

You can change it so you can only have positive feedback cant you? Like Facebook 'Likes'.

Cummins Out.

#37 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Bring back TotalRL as a proper paper. And sell it in Brussels. Without Neil Harborow.

#38 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

What would you like to see on a revamped TotalRL.com ?

Not just the forum, but the website as a whole.

Post your wishlists and suggestions here!

free beer
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Could you perhaps put a section on the homepage relating to the Photography Competition thread and cover

1) Rules of the competition in Bleep language
2) Details of how to post images for L'ang

thanks

Mate it's got me beat
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#40 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hanners back on the forum. ;)

He's been on under quite a few alias's since then and has a new one now so i'm led to believe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users