Challenge Cup 3rd round

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Just about stopped feeling sick, thay was poor & too close for comfort, very little or

no leadership & direction on the pitch.

Sick of repeating this & sick of people moaning about it, but we need go forward & get quick ball before

going wide, no point whatsoever with just chucking the ball wide from a standing start (as at Keighley etc).

We scored tries when the forwards did the very, very basic things that forwards do - hit the ball hard &

straight - as per Freer & Sully did to make 2 tries, no need for fancy long passes, runarounds etc, just do

the bl**dy hard yards first!!!

#42 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

I'd beg to disagree, Peter. The Knights were very ordinary today but give Blackbrook a couple of seasons and they will be challenging for NCL Premier honours.

Agree with Andy.
Spoke to Mark Lee (Blackbrook coach) before and after game and he's not counting chickens when it comes to promotion from NCL div 3 as there are a few good teams who have gone into that league this year - but on this showing they will be in premier division in no time. Hard to tell whether they raised their game, as the old saying goes, as they were that well-organised and there was none of the old-fashioned niggly stuff to "bring a pro team down to their level".
As in match report in Press today, Blackbrook at times were showing York how York should have been playing.

BTW, should have said, was tweeting match updates via @PMartiniPress for those without access to radio.
Report/reaction will be on line in a bit, at www.thepress.co.uk following knights links. Ta

#43 Peter G.

Peter G.
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'd beg to disagree, Peter. The Knights were very ordinary today but give Blackbrook a couple of seasons and they will be challenging for NCL Premier honours.

Thats fair enough Andy, you were there watching and you obviously thought that Blackbrook were performing at least as well as a top premier side. It will be interesting to see how they go when/if the "old-timers" finally hang up their boots.

In a way I now wish I had attended the match cos seeing is believing and I still hav'nt fully got over what I witnessed at Keighley. I listened to the whole of your commentary and the longer it went on your voice clearly demonstrated that the Knights were heading for a catastrophe ( again no disrespect to the amateurs) As for Sam, by the end he appeared to be almost speechless!! 

#44 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just a thought - what did people think about St Helens new ground yesterday??

The side we were at was great, but behind the goals, in the corners & in the other side seating,

it looked like there was no proper backs to the stands - a bit of wind & rain & you be soaked even

in the seats??

#45 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Just a thought - what did people think about St Helens new ground yesterday??

The side we were at was great, but behind the goals, in the corners & in the other side seating,
it looked like there was no proper backs to the stands - a bit of wind & rain & you be soaked even
in the seats??

Be nice when they finish it !

#46 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Many amateur teams are coached by guys with little or no previous experience of coaching at senior level ( ex players etc ) and they all do a decent job but the difference yesterday was that Mark Lee has some seasons of coaching at C'sp level and I have seldom seen an amateur side so well organised. The Knights played right into their hands by ploughing, one man, up the middle.

I have watched the Knights since their inception and yesterday was the first time I have actually sat and hoped the other team won, such was Blackbrook's commitment and enthusiasm.

If you take the various levels involved out of the occasion, it was a fantastic game to watch, possibly not skill-wise but the drama was unreal.

You're right, Peter about the old 'uns, you could see the younger lads respond visibly to the urging on and sheer graft that Sean Ricco and Lee Marsh got through but in the likes of Tommy Cunningham, Ste Marsh, Danny Fairhurst and others, they have a bright future - not to mention the lads like Jake Campbell and Ryan Houghton who are in the England Youth set-up at present.

It wasnt a great day for a Knights fan but it was a wonderful day for a rugby league fan.

#47 steve56

steve56
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm sorry Andy but as a York City Knights fan i could never hope the other team won no matter who we were playing,whether if was the Challenge Cup Final or a pre season friendly i would always back the Knights.

I wasn't there yesterday but from the final score would it not be right to say that the Knights had that little bit extra to keep going to the hooter and win the game.

It sounded like Blackbrook played out of their skins to get that close to us but the Knights won and surely that must be celebrated by ALL Knights supporters

#48 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Fair opinion, Steve.

#49 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Would'nt like to take away the effort and performance that Blackbrook gave against the Knights, but at the end of the day with a below performance played by the Knights it is they that crossed the line when the hooter sounded, so lets take that result as a bonus and move on to the Dewsbury match where I would rather see a fit Simon Brown and Danny Nicklous if available,it's to be hoped we can return to the outstanding performance that we witnessed against Fev, commitment, compassion,clever Rugby will win us the game. 

#50 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

It sounded like Blackbrook played out of their skins to get that close to us but the Knights won and surely that must be celebrated by ALL Knights supporters

My sentiments exactly.

#51 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Sorry boys, I'll go and thrash myself to within an inch of my life with my Knights scarf and hopefully I'll have purged it from my system !! :D  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users