Easter Monday

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

As a few of the threads of a similar line have become something else, I wanted to throw an idea into the bear pit to chew on.

What if Easter Monday was the reverse derby round?

A sort of double pump Easter Weekend, Leeds host Bradford, then Bradford host Leeds, and so on. Keep up the momentum, "you've had your turn, now we have ours".

The idea probably has more holes than a Hull KR defence but I dunno, see what people think.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

As a few of the threads of a similar line have become something else, I wanted to throw an idea into the bear pit to chew on.

What if Easter Monday was the reverse derby round?

A sort of double pump Easter Weekend, Leeds host Bradford, then Bradford host Leeds, and so on. Keep up the momentum, "you've had your turn, now we have ours".

The idea probably has more holes than a Hull KR defence but I dunno, see what people think.

Yes it does but it's a better effort than simply saying 'Easter Monday proves RL is a pathetic farce!'

Personally I think Easter Monday has to go. It is tradition but the players take too long to recover and the Monday is always a come down. The Thursday/Friday games are great and should be kept as derbies but the Monday fixtures are just normal run of the mill games and don't appear to have any extra fans than a normal round would.

I think Widnes and Hull KR have shown this year that we will just see clubs with smaller squads writing off the fixtures if they don't think that they will win them. As Paul Cullen said, the fixtures have an effect on the following week's game and I think Widnes have decided to rest players for Salford and Hull KR have thought that Saints represents a better chance of victory. There is an argument as to whether they should be criticised for this but it's a fact of life and only likely to increase.

#3 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Not sure if the same fans would be bothered to go to both games tbh

#4 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

I'd think we'd probably end up on Easter Monday with seven running fights intead of RL games, as players looked for revenge for perceived nasties done to them on Good Friday. I'm not sure what can be done about this as the only way in which we could reschedule the Monday round would be to get rid of the Exiles game (or a replacement) which, for all its inadequacies, is necessary for the national side.

#5 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think it should be just one round played over 5 days with 4 or 5 on Sky, as it is now.

The games could be:

Thursday - Leeds v Bradford (sky)

Friday - Wigan v Saints (sky), Hull KR v Hull (sky)

Saturday - Catalan v London, Huddersfield v Salford

Monday - Widnes v Warrington (sky), Castleford v Wakefiekd (sky)

Then make sure the Monday teams play on Sunday the week after.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,992 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

If we have to have two games over the weekend then The Hindle Way seems the best and fairest.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

If we have to have two games over the weekend then The Hindle Way seems the best and fairest.

I'm suspicious when you're nice.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

My vote is for the Harrigan way. I think two games is OTT nowdays. Fev v Wakey on Easter Monday will be a cracker.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#9 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Jamie Peacock has suggested on twitter that the monday fixtures should be arranged in order of last years positions (1v2, 3v4 etc).

So if it had been that way this year, the fixtures would have been the derbys on thursday/friday:

Leeds v Bradford
Wigan v Saints
Hull FC v Hull KR
Widnes v Warrington
London v Catalans
Salford v Huddersfield
Castleford v Wakefield

followed by an Easter Monday fixture list of:

Wigan v Warrington
Saints v Catalans
Leeds v Hull FC
Huddersfield v Wakefield
Bradford v Hull KR
Salford v London
Castleford v Widnes

This wouldnt be an extra fixture or anything, just the regular home fixture for those teams involved. Immediate flaws could be if the same fixture occured friday and monday, but thats an alternative suggestion from Hindle anyway!

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,663 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

The only Easter Monday game should be the game in hand of the team that played in the WCC. Of course, those two teams would get to play their first game on Maundy Thursday.

Pros:

1) Sky still get a Bank Holiday Monday game
2) You can engineer it so it's a decent game (eg. Leeds-Cats)
3) You clear out the game in hand.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users