TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

what made you "choose rl"?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

parental influence?

your mates influence?

your own preference?

tv coverage and media promotion?

stumbling over an amateur game localy?

what was the reason you chose rl?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Free tickets for first three home games as a 9 year old in '97.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Free tickets for first three home games as a 9 year old in '97.

u didnt go on u own age 9 though?

Edited by bedlam breakout, 03 April 2013 - 08:31 PM.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#4 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Schoolmate asked me to go. Dad had taken me to Wakey when i was really young, but when i went to Cas 1st time and saw Kevin Ward i was in awe.

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Mates influence as a 12 yr old from wombwell in 1973.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Widnes won the WCC when I was 6. My family had always followed it, it would be stranger if I wasn't a fan. However, I was more of a Football fan as a teenager but ironically my interest resumed when Widnes were at their lowest ebb. There was just something about RL that I preferred to Football and still is.

#7 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Dad took me to Watershedings one (freezing cold, obviously) evening to watch Oldham play Australia. Can't remember much about the game although I know we gave them a decent match. As an 8 year old I'd never been in big crowd before and loved the atmosphere. I was hooked from then on. As I got older I started to appreciate the game more and more. No other sport compares for me.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#8 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

I was born into it. My uncle played pro and I went to my first gamed when I was just two weeks old!

I wouldn't have it any other way. :D
Posted Image

#9 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

At junior school, must have been 8-9 at the time, my mates said I should come and join them playing junior RL at Lunts Heath Lions .....I gave it a go and loved it......my dad was made up (he'd taken me to watch Widnes when I was 4-5) but now I was actively involved without his influence.....now gave him the excuse to take me to watch them, at that time we seemed to whoops a fair few teams (I remember Fev, Salford and Hull KR in particular for some reason) but playing Wire or Saints at home was always a full house and a great atmosphere (though playing Leeds at home always seemed to create quite a hostile environment for some reason).......that was the year Widnes beat Wigan at Naughton Park to win the Stones Bitter Championship

Edited by chuffer, 03 April 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Mad football fan as a kid until I watched on telly the first ashes test at wembley and was in awe of the greatest athlete I'd ever seen, ellery Hanley.

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Watching it on the Tele with dad on Fridays when I was a young kid, getting taking to internationals in 2004 and never coming home from Craven Park being disappointed.

Bit of a mixture of family and preference really. But when you get really can't get out of it. Everything about the sport in general is pretty much spot on.

Dont see what's better than going to the pub before hand then turning upto the ground being able to stand pretty much wherever you want, have a crack with some of the friendliest people you''ll meet in either set of fans, and watch the most entertaining sport in the world.

#12 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Mad football fan as a kid until I watched on telly the first ashes test at wembley and was in awe of the greatest athlete I'd ever seen, ellery Hanley.

Sorry to be a pedant, but the first ashes ever test at Wembley was in the early 1970s I believe

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,644 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Sorry to be a pedant, but the first ashes ever test at Wembley was in the early 1970s I believe

1963 attendance 13000.

them wot days hangiung from the rafters they were

the poster you are correcting was actually right. It was the first test of the series.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Fred Birchall

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#15 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

Carlisle starting up in 1981. Had been to Knowsley Road and even Derwent Park before that but a side you can go and see every week as an 11 yr old was the tipping point.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#16 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Mates at school dragged me up to Odsal, Northern vs Bramley on a Wet Winter Wednesday eve Yorkshire Cup tie, I bet there was less than 2,000 there...God knows why I ever went back? Late 80's or early nineties I guess...not many of us go anymore...just 3 of us out of the original 6 or 7.

#17 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

My dad used to take me to Central Park, he would drop me off in the "hen pen" and disappear off with his mates and pick me up after the game. Happy days.
SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#18 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

Born and bred Swindonian with no connection to anything north of Wiltshire brought up a football/Swindon Town fan.

In 1988 I saw the 3rd test from Australia and thought this is a good sport. Started playing for Swindon Bulldogs in 89 but got completely hooked at the Wembley Test Match in 90.

The club game will never really increase the profile of RL like internationals do. Here's hoping for a great World Cup. Come on England!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

1st test at wembley not first ever test at wembley. 1990 series.

#20 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

I didn't choose RL... it chose me.

Seriously though, I was introduced to union at school (I come from a big footy area). Then I saw some challenge cup on the telly and thought it was awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users