Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

what made you "choose rl"?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Family - mum & dad supported, one brother played to a decent youth standard until he broke his jaw at Hilton Park, and my other brother ran the turnstiles for years. It was just the norm, and we liked most sport. Rugby league was our favourite and was our towns highest profile sport to go and watch.

Bring kids into the game, and they will love it forever - that's why I love to see any professional clubs efforts to have special offers for under 12's and it's great to see the SL & CH players at local amateur clubs giving their support. I remember how I idolised Leigh players when I was at school (and cringe a bit thinking about it)

Edited by amh, 04 April 2013 - 08:08 AM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#22 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Uncle took me to watch football a few times (Bradford Park Avenue and Bradford City) - bored stiff and didn't like it (still feel the same today)

1964 - At school aged 10... Sat next to a lad who was (a) brilliant at art and (B) a Bradford Northern fan. Every art lesson - regardless of subject he used white, red, amber and black as his colours. EG He could draw a perfect apple - with white skin and red, amer and black stripes. It drove the teacher mad - so at christmas he had us draw a nativity. My mate drew a fantastic scene - but baby jesus had a Bradford Northern sheet over him :-)

After all this - I went to watch Northern V York in October 1964.

Rest is history - loved the game ever since. Connected with it straight away and memories are still vivid. Wintergreen, snow on the pitch with markings in red, whiskey coffee and Tom Jones "Its Not Unusal" every half time.

But etched forever - the sight of two heroes with brown legs on a snow covered pitch - Garth Budge and Errol Stock......

#23 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Moved to Wigan as a teenager and it chose me.

#24 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Widnes won the WCC when I was 6. My family had always followed it, it would be stranger if I wasn't a fan. However, I was more of a Football fan as a teenager but ironically my interest resumed when Widnes were at their lowest ebb. There was just something about RL that I preferred to Football and still is.

Very similar. Family always supported RL but I preferred soccer as a kid. Then I started to go to the Boulevard regularly when Hull went through the season unbeaten and that was it. I was in awe of the commitment shown by these part time players compared to the prima donnas playing soccer. The advent of the Premier League totally killed off any interest I had in soccer at the top level.

rldfsignature.jpg

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

I come from a non-sporting family and, for a long time, had no interest in playing or watching sport. Any sport.

I played a bit of Rugby Union at public school and, for one term, Rugby League at the state school I attended after that. Didn't enjoy either. RU on the playing fields of Cambridge, where the icy wind blasts across the flat landscape and freezes your bones is no fun unless you're a bit odd in the noggin. As for RL, the fact that the two school gorillas were in the same school house - not the one I was in - may have been a factor! :D

Then, mid-teens, I started to enjoy watching sport, and seeing a Challenge Cup tie (Wigan v Widnes) just caught me and I've never stopped watching Rugby League since. The comparison between Rugby League and what the TV/radio/newspapers told me was the pinnacle of 'Rugby' (the England RU team) was so blindingly obvious, it was unbelievable.

Edited by Futtocks, 04 April 2013 - 08:58 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

It chose me. In 1957 I trod the hallowed Station Road turf with Swinton and Pendlebury Brass Band before and at half time for something like a cup semi or an international match. We watched the game from chairs placed around the low concrete walls around the pitch. The atmosphere was electric and being so close to the action, the impact was incredible. Subsequently, we played there for big games quite frequently and the die was cast.

However, in the twilight of my years, the memories are getting increasingly dim and distant and all I have left is a bookshelf full of reminiscences, a box of video tapes from the 1990s and dreams of what might have been.. :)

#27 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

I bet John played the triangle. ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

:D

Nearly!

#29 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Uncle took me to watch football a few times (Bradford Park Avenue and Bradford City) - bored stiff and didn't like it (still feel the same today)

1964 - At school aged 10... Sat next to a lad who was (a) brilliant at art and ( B) a Bradford Northern fan. Every art lesson - regardless of subject he used white, red, amber and black as his colours. EG He could draw a perfect apple - with white skin and red, amer and black stripes. It drove the teacher mad - so at christmas he had us draw a nativity. My mate drew a fantastic scene - but baby jesus had a Bradford Northern sheet over him :-)

After all this - I went to watch Northern V York in October 1964.

Rest is history - loved the game ever since. Connected with it straight away and memories are still vivid. Wintergreen, snow on the pitch with markings in red, whiskey coffee and Tom Jones "Its Not Unusal" every half time.

But etched forever - the sight of two heroes with brown legs on a snow covered pitch - Garth Budge and Errol Stock......

Garth Budge coached the BARLA Yorkshire side sometime in the early 80's,
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

It chose me. In 1957 I trod the hallowed Station Road turf with Swinton and Pendlebury Brass Band before and at half time for something like a cup semi or an international match. We watched the game from chairs placed around the low concrete walls around the pitch. The atmosphere was electric and being so close to the action, the impact was incredible. Subsequently, we played there for big games quite frequently and the die was cast.

However, in the twilight of my years, the memories are getting increasingly dim and distant and all I have left is a bookshelf full of reminiscences, a box of video tapes from the 1990s and dreams of what might have been.. :)

Brill :lol:
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#31 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Mates at school kept talking about this bloke called Chuck Hardisty so I thought I'd better go and see what it was all about.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#32 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Dad is a massive Wigan fan, but has been going to watch Fev since he moved over here in 1964

He took me to my first game in 1980 and I loved it.

I'd tried football but it bored me, RL was superb by comparison.

#33 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Very similar. Family always supported RL but I preferred soccer as a kid. Then I started to go to the Boulevard regularly when Hull went through the season unbeaten and that was it. I was in awe of the commitment shown by these part time players compared to the prima donnas playing soccer. The advent of the Premier League totally killed off any interest I had in soccer at the top level.

Same with me, my love of football as a kid growing up in the 80's verged on the fanatical until I stumbled across great players like ellery Hanley, Martin offiah and Garry schoefield playing for GB against the Aussies in the 1990 ashes series and the rest as they say is history. Like you also with the advent of the premier league and riches galore for the players I drifted away from modern day football but still like to read about football in the 80's and watch the old games on ESPN classics.

#34 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Always watched it on TV in the Eddie Waring era, and liked it, but first started going after my sister got a season ticket at Sheddings because her bf was a big fan. I was a Liverpool soccer supporter first and foremost, but went to more and more RL, mostly because it was cheaper. Don't get much opportunity to see many games at all nowadays :-(

#35 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Born and bred Swindonian with no connection to anything north of Wiltshire brought up a football/Swindon Town fan.

In 1988 I saw the 3rd test from Australia and thought this is a good sport. Started playing for Swindon Bulldogs in 89 but got completely hooked at the Wembley Test Match in 90.

The club game will never really increase the profile of RL like internationals do. Here's hoping for a great World Cup. Come on England!

Wiltshire - did you know someone called Neil Cameron who I believe was involved with Swindon Bulldogs in the mid/late 80s ?
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#36 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I played for Clayton back in the 70's as a kid but wasn't really aware of the pro game and I went to watch City as my dad was more soccer orientated. Anyways, after the City fire we had to play some matches at Odsal whilst VP was being rebuilt, and I can remember now the impact that place had on me when I walked through those gates for the first time and the whole earth seemingly opened up. So, shortly after that we started to go to both City and Northern, with attendance at City matches eventually coming to an end in 1989 when we started our boycott*.

*We won't return to watch City until Terry Dolan is reinstated after being unfairly sacked by Stafford Heginbotham. This Boycott still stands.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#37 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Pat Quinn was my maths teacher
My mate took me along to see him play fullback for Leeds.
Been hooked ever since.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#38 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Someone close to me was a senior ref (and a big Leeds fan), and he got me watching and playing for all the nine years I could have done too.
www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#39 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Becoming disillusioned with football. Saw big games on the tv and felt the urge to attend a gf. Been to every gf since. Got a few mates into it too.

#40 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

The 1983 Challange cup final had a big influence for me because my Dad who supported Fev introduced me to the game but it was the cup final of 85 where I was hooked on the sport.

The Hull v Wigan final was followed by the Man Utd & Everton FA cup final a week later and in terms of entertainment there was no comparison.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins