Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

what made you "choose rl"?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Father took me to some football games at Burnden Park and Springfield Park. Made me wait until I was almost 12 for my first visit to Central Park, when I was "ready". Wigan got stuffed by Salford that day and I was the only happy Wiganer.

#42 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Family, my Dad and Uncle both played as amateurs.Went to my first Leeds game in 1973,played to a decent level,now watch my youngest son as he progresses through the age groups and get to Rhinos games when work allows.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#43 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Someone close to me was a senior ref (and a big Leeds fan), ...

Nice to see some things never change... :D

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#44 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I was a Rugby Union supporter for many years and held a season ticket for Swansea All Whites. In early 1990,s I saw the Charity Shield Match between Wigan and Widnes at the Vetch Field in Swansea. I was instantly converted. I was impressed by the speed, action, skill and physical commitment of Rugby league and I have been a supporter ever since.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

u didnt go on u own age 9 though?

No.

Went with a neighbour, who was still only a teen at the time, and of course lil bro had to come. <_<

If it was any other season than Bradford Bulls 1997 then who knows.

I don't remember knowing anything league from before then, I suppose at 9-10 you're still young to the big wide world (perhaps not today). My only memory of rugby was the Fick Nations on telly on a Saturday afternoon and my Grandad coming round to visit. Also t'Bulls came into middle school once or twice, from that moment is spawned into going to all games home and away, 4 season tickets, Wembley, cable tv for sky sports... I still remember watching Saints v Bulls in the garden while having a barbeque... to being a little bit annoyed at all those people running on the pitch at Don Valley. But the Cup games that year before the first SL game v Warrington? Nope, no idea. Nor the Premiership competition after we won the League either, no idea.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

My dad, a born and bred Featherstonian, took me to watch Keighley after his job took him there. They were never great but, in those days, the top teams all played at lLwkholme and I saw the top stars week in week out.

Eventually Keighley got so bad, several of my mates and i went to play for Keighley Albion under 19's.That did it. Hooked for life.

I have had to play a lot if union since and was quite successful but RL has no rival for my sporting affection.

#47 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Mad keen football fan and used to follow Liverpool everywhere in my teens and twenties. Used to like watching RL on TV but never went to a match.
Then moved to London and first live match I saw was GB vs Australia at Wembley in 1994. Had a nice 20 pound bet on GB to win which made it all the sweeter.

Went to a Wigan /Saints boxing day match at Central Park when visiting the folks in Lancaster one Xmas and couldn't believe how packed it was.

But really got into it in 2001 when we moved to Hull with my wife's work. Popped along one April day to the Boulevard to see Hull vs Halifax Blue Sox (!) and was the first time I'd been really close up to the action and could hear the crunch of the tackles being made and see the skill levels on display.

After that I was hooked and was a season ticket holder until we moved to the US in 2008. Now back down south and have adopted London as my new team.

#48 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I watched Manchester United home and away from 1966 to 1981. My first RL match was at Leeds .v. Salford in 1971 then went to Featherstone .v. Salford in 1973 just cos friends were going. In 1977 I found out that the bars were open in my local clubs - Salford & Swinton after the pubs closed at 2pm on Sundays so I started to watch them alternatively, just to get a beer! I soon fell in love with the game and started to follow United Saturdays and Salford home and away on Sundays. In 1981 I was starting a family and something had to go. I have only ever been to one football match since.

#49 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Nothing beats RL.

I am northern and proud of it. I am proud of our sport and how it embodies so many qualities that matter to me. I was born into it but the family also followed football, cricket, athletics and rugby union but it still came out on top.

Deep down I would have loved to be a Rugby League player.

#50 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Deep down I would have loved to be a Rugby League player.

Welcome to the forum, Sir Bradley Wiggins.

#51 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

It was inevitable really. I grew up in West Bowling, my dad and uncles supported Northern, then my elder brother and me. Must have gone to my first game about 56 or 57. They were pretty grim times until after the restart in 64, and I still remember very clearly the delirium of our first trophy win when we beat Hunslet at Headers in 64 to win the Yorksire Cup.

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#52 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Brought up in a RL town, played at school and taken to Leigh at a very early age by my dad and until him passing away we had 3 generations watching.

What is crucial on this thread is how many from non RL backgrounds got hooked by great Ashes series, especially 90. Something we must get back to.

#53 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

What is crucial on this thread is how many from non RL backgrounds got hooked by great Ashes series, especially 90. Something we must get back to.

This shows the value of a strong international game.

rldfsignature.jpg

#54 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Great thread, guys. Really enjoyed reading every post.

Very different asking this question within the English sporting landscape. I'm Sydney born and bred. Born in the West, lived most of my life in the North-West. Don't really remember anything about Union until my teens. First memory of Aussie Rules was when the Swans made the GF for the first time when I was 12. Soccer was always a foreign sport that lots of kids played, but adults didn't.

My sporting awareness was saturated with rugby league. Family were league fans, friends were league fans, neighbours were league fans, played league based ball games during lunch at school. Got like 10 packs of footy cards for my birthday when I was 5 or 6.

I actually didn't become religious until a couple years after high school, in 2004. But there was only ever one game for me.

#55 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I didn't. It chose me.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#56 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

it all started when I went to this party

evryone was doing it. I just wanted to be one of the crowd.

I thought I could handle it, give up any time I wanted: you know the kind of thing

before I knew it I was doing it every weekend, now even on Thursdays most weeks: main lining basically.

I don't know what the future holds. I try to kick it, but then I find myself tlling myself 'once more for old times sake wont hurt', and o the cycle begins again.

I've tried all the methods: cold turkey,,,but that just reminded me of boxing day games, shock treatment...but there's only so many Stevo commentary loop tapes yo can listen to and keep the will to live-self defeaing, goup therapy...you always end

up talking about prom and reg.

I guess this is a cry fo help.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#57 Moomintroll

Moomintroll
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

My dad and uncle introduced me to RL. Hailing from Doncaster, they'd had the good fortune to have been born and raised in Bentley (not a sentence you'll read too often) on the west side of town, the closest thing Donny had to a rugby league hotbed.

Going to watch The Dons at Batley in 1994 for the promotion decider pretty much clinched it for me. Less so for my youngest brother; my dad dropped him from his shoulders when we scored the winning try and he ended up following Huddersfield.

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Good to see a fair few non-heartlanders responding - if nothing else, it'll annoy Garry Schofield! :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#59 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Saw visiting PNG team training on the Stray in front of the old Granby Hotel in Harrogate before test series which prompted my interest. I'd never seen men that were as wide as they were tall before!

LUNEW.jpg

#60 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

In my case being a classmate of Paul Vautin and Paul McCabe at a Brisbane Catholic boys high school helped. I was only good enough for the second XIII but did manage to get on the bench for the firsts as a winger. I know I got on the field a few times but all I can definitely remember is chickening out of diving into the corner for a try - caught a glimpse of, or heard, or imagined, cover defenders - lining my ribs up. After two concussions I retired from playing the game and took up aussie rules and drinking XXXX.

Life is a strange journey: since moving to London in 1997 I've adjusted to many things. I am coping with this interminable winter fairly well but I'll never get used to the notion of the greatest game of all being a minority sport. Really looking forward to the Wembley double header WC semi finals in November. Come on England!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users