what made you "choose rl"?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Just a few yeas ago. Happened to stumble accross a highlights reel of ireland vs tonga on the bbc website . Remember being blown away by the physicality and skill level. Hooked since then. Cant wait to see my first live game at the world cup.

#62 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,594 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Most of you have the choice of soccer or rugby league.  If you went for soccer, it would mean you were wrong in the head.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#63 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

If I was not so involved with an amateur club who need me right now I would probably give up watching Rugby League. I have always loved to travel and see new places but am one of them people who needs to go to a place for a reason. Although I gave up watching football 32 years ago I would like to vist as many different grounds as I could. EG Hamilton Academicals, Wick Academy, Brora Rangers, Yeovil, Bideford, Atherton, Harrogate Town etc, etc. etc.

#64 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Annoying new board!

Edited by Red Willow, 05 April 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#65 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

We lived equal distance from 2 great grounds, Station Road and The Willows. My brother had started watching RL when he went to high school. Most of the kids at school supported Swinton so he chose Salford. He allowed me to tag along as a kid, and instantly got hooked.

Now some 40 years on still suffering, I once said I wouldn't go to Wembley unless Salford got there..... Still waiting.

#66 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Just a few yeas ago. Happened to stumble accross a highlights reel of ireland vs tonga on the bbc website . Remember being blown away by the physicality and skill level. Hooked since then. Cant wait to see my first live game at the world cup.

Welcome to the forum hoff. Now you've found us don't be a stranger.

rldfsignature.jpg

#67 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

I went to my first RL match in the 70,s Hull FC v Swinton i was working at the time in Holland on a pirate radio station (Radio North Sea International) and we had 7 days off the boat, the company who did the tender (Supplies) had a trip to Hull to deliver some spare parts to a fishing company so 3/4 of us went along for a laugh.

We went to watch Hull FC on the day we arrived and in the evening to scamps disco.

In 1980 Fulham joined and i have been a fan ever since:)

CM

Scamps :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

rldfsignature.jpg

#68 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

A lad who turns out to he one of my very good friends playing in our ncl side now was coaching a local undercliffe under 15s side, was playing football with a few lads and he said to me you fancy playing rugby? I laughed and said no chance! His reply was train tonight and Thursday, we have a friendly against Dudley hill on Sunday and if you don't enjoy it I won't bother you again!

That Dudley hill u15s was a superb side with a few future pros in! We were getting beat 96 nil after 60 mins! Ref blew up and god knows why I stayed involved but definitely glad I did!!

#69 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

I was brought up within spitting distance of Watersheddings, me dad watched Oldham from the 20s until the 60s, I'd a cousin who'd had a trial at Huddersfield in the early 50s and another who played for Oldham A, so I suppose it was in the blood and an obvious choice, but one I've never regretted.

Me dad told me me first game was when I was about 4, watching me cousin play for Oldham St Annes at the Atheltic Grounds in the first round of the cup, but I don't remember that at all. I first started watching, on and off, in the 1961-62 season (saw Brian Bevan score a wonder try at Sheddings) and then really got interested in the following season. That was the first season of two divisions and, guess what, we were relegated. Some would say that, apart from the odd successes, things aint changed that much! Still watching now at wonderful Whitebank, but it's getting more and more painful, considering some of the quality I've watched previously, but I live in hope, which is pretty much all we have left.

Edited by RunItOffAfi, 06 April 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#70 TomHemelStags

TomHemelStags
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

First played it at Exeter University. I'm a born and bred Leicestershire Rugby Union man. But having discovered RL at university I now think it is the best sport in the world.

#71 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

Well we have had this before so here goe's.I wa 8 years old and us kids of that age used to go the Saturday mattinee's at the LIDO on Bramley town street.It was 1955 and we saw big crowds of men in flat caps an garbidine macs walking down Town street so we followed down to the Barley Mow paid sixpence to see Bramley play Huddersfield.My mates dad was a big Leeds fan and took us to Headingley the following week.There was older lads too on our street on the Broadlea's who had moved into the area from Burley road and Kirkstall road which were in the Leeds rl catchment area,and we started going to headingley with them.There was only one rl school, in Bramley,and we didnt oto itwpayed football at school and RL at home and Elland road was too far.I grew up supporting both Leeds and Bramley
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#72 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

What turned me on to Rugby League - who really. Neli Fox.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#73 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Free ' complimentary  ' tickets given out at school to the RL team , usually for the floodlit trophy matches but also if I remember correctly Leigh playing the touring Kiwi's in a midweek match

Have supported Leigh ever since although not always watched regularily , at the moment not attending matches due to several reasons both with the game in general , but also due to inept club management

Would like to think I will start attending Championship matches again in the future

#74 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Free ' complimentary  ' tickets given out at school to the RL team , usually for the floodlit trophy matches but also if I remember correctly Leigh playing the touring Kiwi's in a midweek match

Have supported Leigh ever since although not always watched regularily , at the moment not attending matches due to several reasons both with the game in general , but also due to inept club management

Would like to think I will start attending Championship matches again in the future

I'd say that underlines it all. :)

#75 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

I'd say that underlines it all. :)

Mmmmm , yes it seems I pressed something i shouldn't , still learning on here for a while before I get sorted

#76 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

You are not the only one with a small blush about posting problems in the last few days.

#77 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

You are not the only one with a small blush about posting problems in the last few days.

But I only registered an hour ago

#78 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Welcome back.

#79 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Welcome back.

Never been on here before , i have however posted ' occaisionally ' B)  on RLfans :lol:

#80 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Both parents were RL fans, and went to Belle Vue and a few CC finals before I was born.  When at primary school, played touch rugby when around 8 years old.  The middle school I went to (Flanshaw St Michaels) was mainly a RL school, with footy a close 2nd.  Played for the school team for all years I was there, and went to Belle Vue whenever possible.

When I moved to high school, RL was non existent (as was most other sport to be honest), so stopped playing (didn't think to join a local team). Played pub rugby for a few years later on, until I screwed up my ankle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users